Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

6 minutes ago, alalav said:

Is anyone else completely gridlocked? I have an offer to a second choice school who is pressuring me for a response, but am waitlisted at my first. Nothing seems to be changing. So stressful. 

There's a pretty big nationwide gridlock, or at least, a lock at Indiana with all seven offers. That's basically how it is until someone makes a move. It's like all in one big chain. 

I wish I would've known about this forum when I was applying! It would've been so helpful. I just want to say good luck to everyone who is still hanging in limbo right now. Things will move! Stay positive!

Just wondering: anyone else out there that accepted Cincinnati? Looking forward to meeting my classmates!

1 minute ago, GCFaith92 said:

My biggest fear right now is that someone is holding onto a program that's one of my top programs and by the time they respond it could be too late for me :-(

My biggest fear rn is not getting in at all. If the Indiana waitlist doesn't move and people hold onto spots until last minute, I'm out.

@Gadgette yeah. It's doubly frustrating because I honestly didn't care where I got in; I applied where I could afford, and only half my programs actually GOT my third recommendation and could review my app. I had issues since the professor is older and three states away and thought he submitted it and didn't. So that narrowed my chances a lot.

Reapplying next year isn't the worst thing ever, but I already felt older than a lot of people at Indiana. Blah. 

Edited by adragonisnoslave

I'll go for the Public Health Genetics and then reapply. I'm actually really excited about the Public Health program! And I love the city. But I know that I ultimately want to be a Genetic Counselor. It might just take me longer to get there.

4 hours ago, GCo.Hopeful said:

Has anyone heard from Northwestern about the status of their waitlist?

@GCo.Hopeful I called Cathy this morning to check in, and got accepted off the waitlist around 10 am. I'd suggest calling if you haven't heard anything!

Hi guys! Congrats on all the acceptances so far! I just finally brought myself to come on here after a hectic day yesterday.

I was rejected from John Hopkins and Mt. Sinai, my top 2 schools, but was offered SLC, my third choice.

I'll be rejecting wait list from USF, UCI.

I waited a little for CSU Stan as they said I was top of the waitlist, and now I have a spot, but I'll be rejecting the spot shortly after I talk to my parents (I have not told them anything yet lol). So hopefully you guys waiting on CSU Stan will move up!

This means...Sarah Lawrence! :D

Just wanted to say to all those people who are worrying about being accepted (like me, I am an outlier, older applicant, lots of diverse experience, but maybe not so much what places are looking for...) Some of the program directors/counselors have said to me how common it is for really great GC's to have applied 2 or 3 years. Yes it sucks to be rejected. And unfortunately the application process is expensive. But if you/we really want it, try again. 

17 minutes ago, bubusaur said:

Hi guys! Congrats on all the acceptances so far! I just finally brought myself to come on here after a hectic day yesterday.

I was rejected from John Hopkins and Mt. Sinai, my top 2 schools, but was offered SLC, my third choice.

I'll be rejecting wait list from USF, UCI.

I waited a little for CSU Stan as they said I was top of the waitlist, and now I have a spot, but I'll be rejecting the spot shortly after I talk to my parents (I have not told them anything yet lol). So hopefully you guys waiting on CSU Stan will move up!

This means...Sarah Lawrence! :D

You're giving me more hope on UCI! Congrats on the SLC acceptance. The GC I'm shadowing now graduated from there. And I heard a lot of good things about it. Enjoy your 2 years training there!

I got in to UCI off of the waitlist! Thank you so much everyone who declined your offers quickly and made the waitlists move. I am so so thrilled I almost cried on the phone with the director. 

By the way, she said that they haven't filled out their class yet, so there is still significant shuffling to be done. Don't despair I'd you're waitlist locked, it can happen!

I'm emailing Brandeis and BU to remove me from their waitlists right now.

Where my fellow Anteaters at?

34 minutes ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

@bubusaur hey! we'll be classmates! at least I know I'll have a friend - it was awesome meeting you during interviews =) do you know what spot you were in for USF? 

Did you give up on USF!? Don't give up yet!! I don't know what spot I have but I declined it really soon after I got the waitlist offer. But in case you don't get in! YAY! Then we are gonna be classmates :D It was certainly very nice to meet you!!

1 minute ago, Ultrapeaches said:

I got in to UCI off of the waitlist! Thank you so much everyone who declined your offers quickly and made the waitlists move. I am so so thrilled I almost cried on the phone with the director. 

By the way, she said that they haven't filled out their class yet, so there is still significant shuffling to be done. Don't despair I'd you're waitlist locked, it can happen!

Congrats!! Finally! I saw you giving up earlier and now I'm sure you're ecstatic!! :D

13 minutes ago, Ultrapeaches said:

Congrats!  I was hoping things would turn out well for you.