Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

3 hours ago, robyn94 said:

Thank you so much @No1992! I just checked the sign-up page (it's an anonymous doodle poll), and it looks like 25 people have signed up so far. On UBC's website, it does say they usually invite between 25-30 applicants for interviews. It also says that the deadline to sign up for an interview time is tomorrow, so I don't know if they will still be sending out invitations. 

Whyyyy UBC whyyyy? Haha

But really thank you so much for taking the time to let me know those details- I appreciate it. All the best!  

1 hour ago, TK1616 said:

Hi GC Hopeful, I see on  that it says in your tagline/signature on the bottom that you got an interview at Stanford already - congrats!!!!!

do you mind me asking when you got the email??

I got the email this morning and thank you! 

Question, for those of you who got an email from Indiana University did it mention how many interview dates they have? I was wondering if they would be sending anymore emails out tomorrow? 

1 hour ago, GCFaith92 said:

We should help each other out, whether you have been interviewed yet or not, and post some good practice interview questions! I will be doing a mock interview with 3 genetic counselors next week, and will provide those questions we practice with next week!!

Ahh! That would be so so so so SO helpful! I have no idea what to expect. I read the entire thread from 2016 applicants on GradCafe too and a lot of them say its MMI style and pretty straightforward and pleasant. They said there's a lot of scenario questions but I don't know if it's going to be some crazy ethical type or some difficult and heart-wrenching type.

(Not to scare anyone but I hear Stanford's interview is horrifying)

9 minutes ago, bubusaur said:
1 hour ago, GCFaith92 said:

We should help each other out, whether you have been interviewed yet or not, and post some good practice interview questions! I will be doing a mock interview with 3 genetic counselors next week, and will provide those questions we practice with next week!!

Ahh! That would be so so so so SO helpful! I have no idea what to expect. I read the entire thread from 2016 applicants on GradCafe too and a lot of them say its MMI style and pretty straightforward and pleasant. They said there's a lot of scenario questions but I don't know if it's going to be some crazy ethical type or some difficult and heart-wrenching type.

(Not to scare anyone but I hear Stanford's interview is horrifying)

I've been trying to prepare for the interviews by brainstorming some questions that may crop up. Disclaimer: I haven't attended an interview yet, so I can't confirm if these questions will actually make an appearance in any of the interviews. However, they are questions that I have seen on the 2016 forum, and from other sources around the web. With that said, here's the list of the questions I've come up with so far- Use them to prepare if you'd like!

• Tell me about yourself
  • Why do you want to become a genetic counselor?
  • What is a genetic counselor?
  • How did you learn about genetic counseling?
  • How did you prepare for this interview?
  • Why do you want to attend this specific program?
  • Is there anything on your academic record that you would like to address?
  • How do your experiences make you an ideal candidate?
  • Tell me about a difficult case that you observed (for those who have shadowed a GC)
  • How would you describe the colour green to a blind person?
  • How would your worst enemy describe you?
  • What is your greatest strength/weakness?

3 hours ago, GCHopeful said:

I am not sure if this has been asked on this thread before, but are there any suggested readings I should be on the lookout for? I am currently reading "Ethical Dilemmas in Genetics and Genetic Counseling" and would love to read more from other sources prior to interviewing.

I asked this but I didn't get any good response. I do have 4 pages of reading list from a current student at CSU-Stanislaus though. It's mostly novels. A couple that stood out to me are My Sister's Keeper, The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, Stevie's Secret, The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, Mendel's Dwarf, Far From the Tree. I haven't read any of them yet but these were the ones that seemed more interesting.

Also...that Ethical Dilemmas in Genetics and Genetic Counseling. The Kindle Ebook is $41 while the paperback is $11 on Amazon. Just simply...WHAT!?

My mentor said Middlesex (for a book to read), forgot who wrote it though @GCHopeful

Also! One good thing today is that my mentor reached out to the prenatal genetic counselor who works nearby and I am for sure set to go shadow one day! So I just need to call and set that up (I've been busy with my job so I haven't had time yet)

Edited by AspiringGC

22 minutes ago, bubusaur said:

I asked this but I didn't get any good response. I do have 4 pages of reading list from a current student at CSU-Stanislaus though. It's mostly novels. A couple that stood out to me are My Sister's Keeper, The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, Stevie's Secret, The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, Mendel's Dwarf, Far From the Tree. I haven't read any of them yet but these were the ones that seemed more interesting.

Also...that Ethical Dilemmas in Genetics and Genetic Counseling. The Kindle Ebook is $41 while the paperback is $11 on Amazon. Just simply...WHAT!?

I have PDFs of each chapter, if anyone's interested!

One more member of team Stanford Rejects checking in. I wasn't particularly hopeful, so I'm not that bothered by the news. 

I never saw myself going to Stanford, but I am starting to get straight up terrified that I won't get in anywhere. I need to start getting excited about my contingency plans so that blow doesn't come down too hard.

Edited by Ultrapeaches
Homophone error

6 minutes ago, Ultrapeaches said:

One more member of team Stanford Rejects checking in. I wasn't particularly hopeful, so I'm not that bothered by the news. 

I never saw myself going to Stanford, but I am starting to get straight up terrified that I won't get in anywhere. I need to start getting excited about my contingency plans so that blow doesn't come down to hard.

Hey don't worry! You have two interviews already AND you're waitlisted for another. I read somewhere that said if you get about 3 interviews there's a 50% or a 75% chance (can't remember which one) you'll get in! So you already have a good start! 

I'm bummed, but I also couldn't justify the expense of going there either. Just not having any interviews (and having only heard from that school) makes me more anxious 

3 minutes ago, Kaj95 said:

I am also scared I won't get in anywhere. Any advice as to what types of jobs to apply to set someone up for a better application round next year?

I just applied to a couple Genetic Counseling Assistant Jobs and will be applying to be an academic advisor or receptionist/office manager of a medical office if I don't get accepted.  

Any healthcare related job where you'll get direct patient contact, being an academic advisor even, peer counseling work, working with people with disabilities or in other non-profits are all good options. Besides that keep up on working on advocacy experience and finding ways to shadow GCs etc are all great 

13 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

I'm bummed, but I also couldn't justify the expense of going there either. Just not having any interviews (and having only heard from that school) makes me more anxious 

Yeah, I was in the same boat in regards to financial practicality. Thinking about moving to the bay area with two kids made my head spin - preschool tuition is seriously $20k+ a year there. For a three year old. I mean, if it cost the same as college, she better be taking calc and reading Joyce.

I felt very lucky that the first school to get back to me invited me to interview - it really made a difference in my overall anxiety. For like a week. Then I returned to my usual terror-level-red/Morrissey-on-loop state of constant panic and despair. 

Edited by Ultrapeaches

1 hour ago, GC20171 said:

I have PDFs of each chapter, if anyone's interested!

I just finished The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat. Very good! Could you email me the PDFs please? carlabevins@yahoo.com

On 2/7/2017 at 5:03 PM, JN212 said:

I had a question if anyone has any advice. I just received an email from Indiana State ( who originally rejected me ) offering spots in 2 alternative programs (one is a masters program the other a certificate) that have the same related courses as to genetic counseling that they said could be beneficial and help next time I apply. I was wondering if anyone else received something like this or if it is just a ploy to get more money?

I got the same letter. :( I think it's a way to push us into other programs that might be 'in our area' but not quite GC. It looks like they're trying to build their online programs. Not really excited to look at them.

2 hours ago, GCFaith92 said:

You have PDF for chapters of "ethical dilemmas in genetics and genetic counseling" ? If so could I ask you to email them to me!!!? reeve_taylor@yahoo.com :-)

1 hour ago, CiciGC said:

I just finished The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat. Very good! Could you email me the PDFs please? carlabevins@yahoo.com

I've sent you guys emails! :)

6 hours ago, JN212 said:

Question, for those of you who got an email from Indiana University did it mention how many interview dates they have? I was wondering if they would be sending anymore emails out tomorrow? 

They have 3 dates! Not sure how many people are interviewing on each day so it's possible that they might send out more emails.

I saw in the results tab that some people have heard from South Carolina and Indiana!  Now I'm so nervous about them.  I'm really glad I work all day tomorrow and all weekend because it'll distract me from the major anxiety I'm feeling over these applications.