Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

So, I just received an email from Ohio State saying I'm on the wait list for interviews, which is better than nothing. 

Edited by JN212

6 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

My ohio state rejection email just came to my work email. 

Sorry to hear that, well if it makes you feel any better I have yet to receive an interview offer its been all rejection. It hurts now but all we can do is try to perceive and have hope. 

Sooo does anyone think that Sarah Lawrence will be sending out any more invitations to interview? I tried to call them to check the status of my application, since my application status page hasn't been updated, but they told me to keep checking the portal and I should know shortly. I see that a few of you have already gotten interview requests too, so I'm feeling a little hopeless right now.

NEVERMIND just got a notification for an invite to interview!!!! My first one!!!!

Edited by KeepSwimming2017

Although I can't speak for myself, my girlfriend is in a very similar situation with you guys. Due to financial problems and very specialized research interests, she didn't apply for many schools. Since there is huge difference between her undergrad research work and what she is applying, she decided to apply for master program first. As the result for master program come very late and most of our mutual friends applied for PhD and got acceptance already (me included), she was very scared and stressed. To make things worse, she's on her student visa. If she couldn't get into grad school, it is very difficult for her to find jobs here. 

I tried my best to comfort her, yet she was easily triggered by any mention of grad school. I wish I could be there for her, but there is little I can do to make things better for her. 

Edited by Kuree

1 hour ago, JN212 said:

Sorry to hear that, well if it makes you feel any better I have yet to receive an interview offer its been all rejection. It hurts now but all we can do is try to perceive and have hope. 

Thanks @JN212. I'm not surprised yet I'm also somehow crushed. After her comment Wednesday on the phone, I was really hoping that maybe I would be one of those few last phone calls they were going to make. Here's to 40 hours of very false hope.

I don't remember--did you apply to Ohio State? 

Utah should be sending letters Monday. At this point, I don't care what mine says either way and will likely decline an interview there if i even get one.

So I feel bad for my husband and friends because all I want to talk about is grad school. I can't help it! But next weekend I'm visiting my parents and apparently we're going camping with their friends. I really don't want to talk about grad school with them because I think that will just stress me out more! 

How are you guys holding up to curious family members?

1 hour ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

Sooo does anyone think that Sarah Lawrence will be sending out any more invitations to interview? I tried to call them to check the status of my application, since my application status page hasn't been updated, but they told me to keep checking the portal and I should know shortly. I see that a few of you have already gotten interview requests too, so I'm feeling a little hopeless right now.

NEVERMIND just got a notification for an invite to interview!!!! My first one!!!!

Those of you who haven't received anything, double check your portal - that's where I found mine!

3 minutes ago, raindaywoman said:

Those of you who haven't received anything, double check your portal - that's where I found mine!

Yes, I didn't receive an email but it was on the portal! I'm thinking about doing mine on March 9th, my sister lives in Manhattan so it's really just flight prices I'm worried about.

Just set up a time to go observe a prenatal GC appointment on Wednesday! (Really wish I had gotten this experience earlier so it'd actually show on my application :/) and I am in the process of setting up a meeting with a cancer GC to talk about what she does :) 

Still haven't heard anything from any other schools besides Stanford

53 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

Thanks @JN212. I'm not surprised yet I'm also somehow crushed. After her comment Wednesday on the phone, I was really hoping that maybe I would be one of those few last phone calls they were going to make. Here's to 40 hours of very false hope.

I don't remember--did you apply to Ohio State? 

Utah should be sending letters Monday. At this point, I don't care what mine says either way and will likely decline an interview there if i even get one.

Yes, I received an email today saying I was on the waiting list

2 hours ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

I'm confused about the Sarah Lawrence portal, are you talking about the application status page?

2 hours ago, Blizzard said:

Don't do that! Don't sabotage yourself! I know how you're feeling right now; I have literally never wanted something this much in my life. It's so vulnerable to put yourself out there, to let yourself want something this much. It's brutal to be rejected. The natural reaction is to want to protect yourself by not letting yourself be vulnerable to further rejection, but don't let negative emotions make this decision for you. You'll regret it if you don't try.

11 minutes ago, Gorays39 said:

Has anyone heard from Northwestern or Mount Sinai yet?  I know some people have heard from Pittsburgh but I've got nothing so far.

I didn't apply to Northwestern or Mount Sinai, but I can commiserate on not hearing anything from Pittsburgh. I'm telling myself it's because I went for the dual masters.

2 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

I didn't apply to Northwestern or Mount Sinai, but I can commiserate on not hearing anything from Pittsburgh. I'm telling myself it's because I went for the dual masters.

I didn't apply to the dual degree, so that worries me.  I do know they contacted me a few days ago because I was missing a letter of rec, so they are currently reviewing applications.  

17 minutes ago, Gorays39 said:

Has anyone heard from Northwestern or Mount Sinai yet?  I know some people have heard from Pittsburgh but I've got nothing so far.

Based on previous years applying, I anticipate Northwestern's notifications to come out next week at some point. The waiting game is tough!!

2 minutes ago, SJMcGC said:

Based on previous years applying, I anticipate Northwestern's notifications to come out next week at some point. The waiting game is tough!!

Thanks!  If I get an interview from them, I really hope they have some dates in April.  My March is quite busy and I'd love a little flexibility.

2 minutes ago, Gorays39 said:

Thanks!  If I get an interview from them, I really hope they have some dates in April.  My March is quite busy and I'd love a little flexibility.

I contacted each of the programs to ask for planned interview dates and Northwestern said all of their interviews will be during the first two weeks in April so rest assured! :) 

2 minutes ago, SJMcGC said:

I contacted each of the programs to ask for planned interview dates and Northwestern said all of their interviews will be during the first two weeks in April so rest assured! :) 

Wonderful, thank you!

21 minutes ago, adragonisnoslave said:

I have an interview from my alma mater (Oklahoma)!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Here's to hoping I hear something good! (Likely not cuz my ochem 2 grade is crap and they're the only school that I applied too that needs both semesters lol)