History 2010

Sparky

I see my thesis advisor tomorrow. He's on the admissions committee. I'll get some clarifications if I can.

That would be great...it seems so strange to have so many admits when schools are generally slashing their numbers.

Yeah, that'd be great. I'm also very surprised by the number of admits.

Really? It seems* like UW usually accepts a good chunk of the applicants (insofar as less than 25% can be construed as 'a good chunk'), and given that GradCafe attracts the higher end of the applicant pool, ~10 doesn't seem that surprising. I think y'all are being modest. :P

* All I know about Wisconsin is what I've heard from you all this thread. Period.

Really? It seems* like UW usually accepts a good chunk of the applicants (insofar as less than 25% can be construed as 'a good chunk'), and given that GradCafe attracts the higher end of the applicant pool, ~10 doesn't seem that surprising. I think y'all are being modest. :P

* All I know about Wisconsin is what I've heard from you all this thread. Period.

Does this board attract the higher end of the applicant pool? I have wondered about that. I would expect a certain level of insecurity among those who obsessively check this site. Are there applicants out there who are just confident? :blink:

...given that GradCafe attracts the higher end of the applicant pool...

I've read this before, and am wondering how we know. I'm prepared to believe it, but I'm curious. Are we assuming this because anyone who is anal enough to post about this stuff nonstop is also anal enough to have done well in school? Or has someone made a comparison between stats posted here and stats found elsewhere? Please enlighten me. :)

Haha I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and calm down. I seriously doubt there was a computer glitch at Wisconsin. If it says you got in, you probably got in.

I, too, am very surprised that nine people on here have gotten in, but then again Wisconsin accepts over 20% of applicants, which is about twice what other top programs admit.

I don't think that GC necessarily attracts the higher end of applicants. Are we really stronger applicants than those who have never even been to this site? I'm sure we're not. Many of us, including in the History field, have pretty big negatives affecting our applications (I scored 480 on the quant). It's not pleasant to think about, but I am positive that there are hundreds of people out there right now who have near perfect numbers, two or three languages, and years of primary research experience -- and many of these are our direct competitors. I, for one, found this site only because I wanted to see how well I stack up against other History applicants, and therefore I was less than confident of my chances.

Edited by rockchalk

I've also always wondered about all of us on here. Are we really stronger applicants than those who have never even been to this site? I'm sure we're not. Many of us, including in the History field, have pretty big negatives affecting our applications (I scored 480 on the quant). It's not pleasant to think about, but I am positive that there are hundreds of people out there right now who have near perfect numbers, two or three languages, and years of primary research experience -- and many of these are our direct competitors. I, for one, found this site only because I wanted to see how well I stack up against other History applicants, and therefore I was less than confident of my chances.

I actually started coming here when I applied for my Master's, which is funny because I sort of did it on a whim and was totally out of my league. Now that I got into such a good school, it's like the stakes have been raised really high, and my insecurity has gotten exponentially worse.

I am just wondering if Yale will make decisions earlier this year. Previously, their deadline for submission was 1 Jan, but this year, they moved it up to 15 December. Hmm...

I emailed Yale to find out if there was any anticipated change on the notification schedule because of the earlier app deadline and just received this back: "The admissions decisions should be communicated in early to mid-February." So still within the general parameters for previous years.

I emailed Yale to find out if there was any anticipated change on the notification schedule because of the earlier app deadline and just received this back: "The admissions decisions should be communicated in early to mid-February." So still within the general parameters for previous years.

Sounds to me that they moved up the deadline just to accommodate the influx of applications due to the recession.

Although, I must admit that I've been feeling a lot of tension because we're all on thin ice here, just waiting, and waiting. Once Wisconsin broke the ice, I actually felt relief. It's like "SOMEONE FINALLY OPENED THOSE DAMN CONFERENCE ROOM DOORS!" Now I can move on with my day and know that my schools will come out of their doors as well.

Sort of like Donald Trump's THe Apprentice show... It's like, who cares, we just want those doors open, even if it's one of us who gets gutted. Enough of backroom talking.

Congrats to those already accepted at Wisconsin and UNC! All I can do now is wait on UNC and the rest of them (I didn't apply to UW). Learning of this site has helped me a lot but has now thrown me for a loop a bit. :) Good luck to everyone waiting.

Another annoying scare. I just got an email from Brown titled: Brown University Graduate School Admissions Process. Of course the purpose of the email is just to thank me for applying and let me know that they'd be emailing me when they made a decision. Blarg!

Update for fellow Wisconsin admits: I did receive an official letter today notifying me of acceptance (pending that final review by grad school). So, apparently no computer virus.