Fall 2017 applicants

NoirFemme

Another Friday and another week of silence concerning my applications. I'm already fairly certain where i stand at 2 of my 5 schools (sometimes silence is an answer), but i'm still holding out hope for the other 3.

Congrats to all those who received decisions this week. I sincerely wish you all nothing but the best!

7 hours ago, NCAtlanticist said:

I was not arguing with his professional advice. Obviously you should be polite and courteous to admins, that's a given. I only commented that admins should not be short in response (life is hard for everyone, that doesn't give them the right to be rude). I was pointing out a hypocritical statement Sigaba made to another poster. Sigaba ASSUMED he/she had been rude to an admin in their email. My only points were 1) that Sigaba had no idea what the user had said and 2) that making assumptions then reprimanding someone on those assumptions is wrong. As for Trumpian language, I am not sorry for saying "snowflake." It is kind of ridiculous, instead of engaging to my point about assumptions, to then pull the "I go to a Cali school and I know buzzwords" routine. I am sure that even if I said I was a liberal Democrat that it would not make much a difference. Sigaba has declared him/herself as the pinnacle of excellence and is morally superior. I am sure there is a discussion here about Foucault and the power of words (though that can be saved for another day).

You would have been better served by checking your temper and/or taking this conversation to PM.

You are going to be eaten alive because of your shoot from the hip approach. Your continued refusal to use the search function to find information on someone you're attempting to insult does not speak well of your skills or your motivation. At what point are you going to show some self respect and get your facts right?

Your inability to understand that you're being offered free but potentially valuable advice, combined with your thin skin is going to result in those with experience saying less and less to you.

Your unwillingness to seize opportunities to deescalate confrontations that you cannot afford to have is going to cost you peace of mind and clarity of thought.

As for your situational awareness, you do understand that graduate programs and academic departments know about the Gradcafe? You do know that, from time to time, traffic patterns shift when registered members have melt downs? You do recall that you've provided enough information about yourself for someone with your application to figure out exactly who you are? With this information in mind, are you providing additional information about yourself that invites the conclusion that you'd not only be a good fit in a program, but a sound financial investment? 

Insofar as you calling anyone a "snowflake," do you even know what that term means? (Who is the one complaining about the phrasing/tone of a rejection email? Who is the one not telling an admin how she should have written an email?)

Please, @NCAtlanticist stop digging and change the subject to one that is beneficial to your best interests.

3 hours ago, EricaMac said:

This is remarkably helpful. Thank you!

Glad to help. I broke down and emailed a bunch of schools today and got this response first. I feel like it is positive for me though...I feel that if I got thrown in the circular file I MIGHT have been told outright. Second choice...already got rejected from my first so I'm hanging my hat on Brandeis!

2 hours ago, victoriana said:

On behalf of NCAtlanticist and all of my fellow North Carolinians, I expect, I cannot resist saying that I found this comment to be pretty condescending.  Yes, please, do enlighten us ignorant, Make America Great Again hat-touting Southerners as to "the culture of the profession" so that we may make no further faux pas.  Free advice from someone with more experience in academia is a wonderful thing, but snobbery is not.

On another note entirely, I would be happy to chat with anyone who has been admitted to Vanderbilt.  

Oh, come on. I was in no way condescending or judgmental, and even said that I didn't care what NCAtlanticist's politics were. All I said was that using the term "snowflake" in regards to academics, while pursing a career in academia, is not going to be incredibly well received. In my experience, the culture of higher education is decidedly left-leaning. Stating that is not snobbery. If you feel that's not true, you're welcome to disagree, and that wouldn't be snobby either.  I did not tell them not to enter academia, or to change their political beliefs (whatever they are), or anything else. And before you go raising the banner for Southerners, I'm a Virginian and my partner is a North Carolinian, so I am not some yankee chastising "the South" (whatever that means anymore). My reference to their location was because I don't know the specific political culture at ECU, which is the major university I know of in Greenville. It was not a blanket statement about the South or whatever region you're rallying to defend. I apologize if I was not clear on that front. NCAtlanticist used a very specific, Trumpian term that was created to belittle millennials and promote anti-intellectualism, both of which seem to run counter to a career in academia. I was compelled to point out the derogatory connotation of the term, which NCAtlanticist has already said he/she stands behind. He/she made a personal, politically-charged attack against @Sigaba because they didn't like his/her advice. I stated that in my experience that behavior was unprofessional and wouldn't go over super well, but again, you are more than welcome to disagree with me on that.

Meanwhile on grad cafe... I just got a phone call from my POI at NYU telling me to expect my formal offer via email shortly - very unexpected, I thought it was over for me with NYU. For those still waiting I'd hold out hope! **email followed.

Edited by OHSP

20 minutes ago, Calgacus said:

Oh, come on. I was in no way condescending or judgmental, and even said that I didn't care what NCAtlanticist's politics were. All I said was that using the term "snowflake" in regards to academics, while pursing a career in academia, is not going to be incredibly well received. In my experience, the culture of higher education is decidedly left-leaning. Stating that is not snobbery. If you feel that's not true, you're welcome to disagree, and that wouldn't be snobby either.  I did not tell them not to enter academia, or to change their political beliefs (whatever they are), or anything else. And before you go raising the banner for Southerners, I'm a Virginian and my partner is a North Carolinian, so I am not some yankee chastising "the South" (whatever that means anymore). My reference to their location was because I don't know the specific political culture at ECU, which is the major university I know of in Greenville. It was not a blanket statement about the South or whatever region you're rallying to defend. I apologize if I was not clear on that front. NCAtlanticist used a very specific, Trumpian term that was created to belittle millennials and promote anti-intellectualism, both of which seem to run counter to a career in academia. I was compelled to point out the derogatory connotation of the term, which NCAtlanticist has already said he/she stands behind. He/she made a personal, politically-charged attack against @Sigaba because they didn't like his/her advice. I stated that in my experience that behavior was unprofessional and wouldn't go over super well, but again, you are more than welcome to disagree with me on that.

Can't we just leave politics out of all this. Lets just try to support eachother. Political opinions shouldn't matter here. Lets make this a place of positivity. We're all colleagues here.

On 1/26/2017 at 2:25 PM, realmarcelproust said:

@ziggysunshine I've yet to hear anything from NYU. I'm not sure if that's because I applied to the joint PhD program with French studies, and not just to the normal history PhD. I'm primarily interested in working with Stephane Gerson and Stefanos Geroulanos. What about you? I did have an interview with Penn though! They said they're not releasing decisions until mid-February, so the posted acceptance is still a bit puzzling to me.

Hey, sorry for dying on you! I'll be working with Stefanos Geroulanos as well, actually! :) I got my offer informally from him via email a few days ago as well. Do you know if the department is going to offer any aid to make it out to visit weekend? I'm coming from out of the country, so I sort of hope I'll know asap to be able to plan.

(P.S. the email I received from him also said that we would get more funding information in "a few weeks".)

Edited by ziggysunshine

By the way, in case anyone is interested- I also got an offer via email from NYU, but also no official portal change yet/word of funding. 

Still waiting on Princeton, Oxford, Chicago, and Rutgers (though Rutgers did email to tell me I've made the shortlist for their final round of decisions). I'm not holding out any hope for Chicago at this point...lol.

47 minutes ago, ziggysunshine said:

By the way, in case anyone is interested- I also got an offer via email from NYU, but also no official portal change yet/word of funding. 

Still waiting on Princeton, Oxford, Chicago, and Rutgers (though Rutgers did email to tell me I've made the shortlist for their final round of decisions). I'm not holding out any hope for Chicago at this point...lol.

Congratulations ziggy on your acceptance! Still hoping for something for me!

6 hours ago, sreagin1 said:

Another Friday and another week of silence concerning my applications. I'm already fairly certain where i stand at 2 of my 5 schools (sometimes silence is an answer), but i'm still holding out hope for the other 3.

Congrats to all those who received decisions this week. I sincerely wish you all nothing but the best!

Silence could still be good! Hold out hope. As I've been telling myself, until you're rejected you're in. Chin up!

7 hours ago, cyclingonthemoon said:

Maybe you are right. If there is only me seeing it as a problem, then the problem might be on me. 

I gotta say, four days ago the brown letter stung. But I sent a very gracious email to my POI and realized that it may just be about fit, not about competence. I gathered myself together and I'm forging ahead. It sucks...boy does it suck...but if it doesn't fit it doesn't fit. Keep on keepin on! Good luck!

34 minutes ago, SarahBethSortino said:

Congratulations ziggy on your acceptance! Still hoping for something for me!

Thanks, Sarah! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you- I'm really sorry Brown didn't accept you! I felt the sting too when my top choice rejected me around a week ago, and I can't even really put it into words.

5 minutes ago, ziggysunshine said:

Thanks, Sarah! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you- I'm really sorry Brown didn't accept you! I felt the sting too when my top choice rejected me around a week ago, and I can't even really put it into words.

Thanks. I'm gonna keep on keepin on!

5 hours ago, OHSP said:

Meanwhile on grad cafe... I just got a phone call from my POI at NYU telling me to expect my formal offer via email shortly - very unexpected, I thought it was over for me with NYU. For those still waiting I'd hold out hope! **email followed.

Congratulations @OHSP! From your signature, it seems like you already have several options to choose from. Yay!

31 minutes ago, Dreameir said:

Hi! New to this thread.

I received an email from UCLA about a nomination for a fellowship..but no word on admission. Any thoughts?? Super anxious and I just want to get in!

Hard to be 100% certain without parsing the wording some more, but when I received a similar email from another school, I was told it means I'm in with the department, and just needing the final seal from higher-ups. Does UCLA grant full funding to every admit? Maybe thats what the fellowship is signaling. The surest answer would come from the DGS - maybe you can just email and ask? Either way, congratulations on such promising news!

Hi Everyone 

I am new to this forum and very new to the American graduate school application thing. I applied to the History of Science programs at Yale, Penn, Harvard, Princeton, Cambridge and Oxford. 

Received a rejection from Yale and had an interviewed with Cambridge two weeks ago. Had not heard any other news from the rest. If I did not get invited for an interview at Penn can I safely assume that I have been rejected?

Also wondering if anyone has heard anything from Princeton and Harvard?

1 hour ago, Freudzter said:

Hi Everyone 

I am new to this forum and very new to the American graduate school application thing. I applied to the History of Science programs at Yale, Penn, Harvard, Princeton, Cambridge and Oxford. 

Received a rejection from Yale and had an interviewed with Cambridge two weeks ago. Had not heard any other news from the rest. If I did not get invited for an interview at Penn can I safely assume that I have been rejected?

Also wondering if anyone has heard anything from Princeton and Harvard?

Harvard seems to be all crickets right now with the exception of the random informal emails from POIs. I've tried emailing the department to see what their timeline is and have been met with complete silence. Guess they're hanging out in the ivory keeping the torture going a little longer. I have literally a snowballs chance in hell of getting in but I'd love to know. Told my boyfriend I'm going to frame the official rejection letter. Apparently it's very pretty haha

On 2/9/2017 at 5:26 PM, cyclingonthemoon said:

My take away is that faculty fit is more important than overall credentials. Accepted to Harvard while rejected by Northwestern. Not surprised by that. 

On 2/10/2017 at 3:23 AM, Neist said:

If you float around long enough on these forums, you hear all sorts of crazy stories about admissions experiences. There is no norm, and there's rarely consistency. 

Just want to second what others have said: as hard as it is to accept (especially when you've been rejected from schools you thought you'd be accepted to), there aren't too many big lessons to be drawn from all this. Yes, "fit" is very important, but it's not everything. Neither are shiny degrees from top-ranked institutions, test scores, or hours-long conversations with POIs. There are so many elements beyond our control, among them: budgetary constraints, departmental politics, informal promises made to applicants who were rejected last year – the list goes on. To get a sense of the Mountain of Arbitrariness we're up against, I suggest this interview and book. I realize it might be small comfort to recognize that there really is only so much you can do. But there really is only so much you can do. Godspeed to all! It's nearly over.

37 minutes ago, telkanuru said:

Then why are you here?

I am here because I am a 2017 applicant. This thread is for people like me. Seriously, if I am in the middle of doing my PhD, and finding myself spending hours and hours on a thread for new applicants, I might just quit the PhD and go get a life. 

20 minutes ago, cyclingonthemoon said:

I am here because I am a 2017 applicant. This thread is for people like me. Seriously, if I am in the middle of doing my PhD, and finding myself spending hours and hours on a thread for new applicants, I might just quit the PhD and go get a life. 

Commiseration is fine and all, but to react with scorn when a more experienced student attempts to give you advice is simply foolish.