3 hours ago, phdthoughts said:

Screw the waiting and page refreshing and obsessing today...I'm going out tonight! :)

Spoken like a truly wise person!!! I hope you have a blast and fully recharge your batteries!

@ejpril88 Nope, I don't know anything about Mass Comm...I will say my UMN acceptance came nearly 2 weeks after what the gradcafe's admissions pages showed in past years, so it may be slow all over. Hopefully you hear soon!

Oh dear, just saw an interview for U Iowa posted - I wasn't aware they even DID interviews.... The one dude I know who goes there said they don't do interviews, but it's been a while since he was an applicant so.. 

So for all of us still waiting on U Iowa, heads up!

1 hour ago, DBear said:

Oh dear, just saw an interview for U Iowa posted - I wasn't aware they even DID interviews.... The one dude I know who goes there said they don't do interviews, but it's been a while since he was an applicant so.. 

So for all of us still waiting on U Iowa, heads up!

Lord Iowa.. why with these interviews lol. Do some intel for us with your friend lol.

@The Shade King , @phdthoughts last time I asked, he said they didn't do interviews. But I realized that what we would probably consider an interview, he would just classify as a "chat". I think that's one of the things that's been so stressful about interviews is there seems to be no standard practice. Some schools do chats to confirm their picks, some do them to make their picks, some do them for borderline candidates, some are for their best. Some do them only sometimes. Some do them all the time. It's like some sort of twisted Dr.Seuss book!!

1 hour ago, DBear said:

@The Shade King , @phdthoughts last time I asked, he said they didn't do interviews. But I realized that what we would probably consider an interview, he would just classify as a "chat". I think that's one of the things that's been so stressful about interviews is there seems to be no standard practice. Some schools do chats to confirm their picks, some do them to make their picks, some do them for borderline candidates, some are for their best. Some do them only sometimes. Some do them all the time. It's like some sort of twisted Dr.Seuss book!!

Haha thanks for info and yes this adds a new layer to grad school admissions. It wasn't always like this. I will say one thing at least UPenn doesn't do this lol. Also, interviews come at different times for different tracks lol. 

Edited by The Shade King

I think U Penn is great that they are clear about their interview policy! Yeah, it does seem like interviews are becoming more and more common. 

There are definitely pros and cons when it comes to interviews (the terrible anxiety that you're going to say something so stupid it will ruin your future would be a con) but I personally am not anti-interview. I'm anti-IDK what you want from me!! I wish schools were more clear about decision-making timelines and the different components of the review process - interview? no interview? a chat that really is JUST a chat? GAH! 

In a sense, interviews (for the most part) can also tell the applicant about whatever organization it is they are applying to. At this point, I'm very grateful to have been admitted to Madison after two interviews because I am much more certain about how I feel about the program and whether I'd be happy there. I wish I'd had this level of interaction with all the programs I applied to - maybe then I wouldn't have applied to some of them. Of course, it would have been nice if the interaction wasn't in the form of an interview. I guess some of us on here visited schools beforehand or were otherwise familiar with various programs, but visiting schools just wasn't feasible since I wasn't in the same country.. 

Yeah I got an email from U of Iowa today about interviewing. They said they're holding interviews Tuesday and Wednesday, and sending out offers on Thursday. 

It's definitely nerve-wracking but perhaps interviewing is the best way to judge cultural fit for the program. For those of you who are interviewing with Iowa this week, best of luck!

36 minutes ago, michellelaura92 said:

Yeah I got an email from U of Iowa today about interviewing. They said they're holding interviews Tuesday and Wednesday, and sending out offers on Thursday. 

It's definitely nerve-wracking but perhaps interviewing is the best way to judge cultural fit for the program. For those of you who are interviewing with Iowa this week, best of luck!

Oooh, thanks for the information! Wow, they were pretty detailed about the next steps! - but they sent you an email on a Sunday? 

Edited by DBear
woops, forgot something

@heyDW Ugh.. slow is an understatement - it's like time stands still!!

@michellelaura92 I hope you find that you like the culture at Iowa - I think chemistry really is important and feeling welcome and wanted into a program really matters. Hopefully they are impressed with you and you are impressed with them. 

Hi all!  I just registered.

I applied to four PhD programs in Comm.  Most also give out MA degrees as well, which is important to me since I am coming into this directly after undergrad.  The programs I applied to are the following:

UCSB - Invited to attend a grad school open house on Feb. 23-25.

UCSD - No response

University of Washington - No response, which is killing me because this was my top school and I see that others have already gotten rejection notices!

University of Maryland - No response

The wait is pretty agonizing.  I routinely log into my application pages online and none of them have moved beyond the "submitted" label.  Good sign?

@2ManyTacos Welcome - the wait really does suck, doesn't it? 

Well, as for the "submitted" status, I don't really think it means anything other than the online status system not being meaningful. After a couple of interviews and admissions, only one of the 7 schools I applied to changed the status on my application, and this was only at the very end to say "university acceptance" or something like that. No changes to under review or interview complete or anything like that. 

I know I've been really reading into EVERYTHING during this whole process - the whole not knowing thing really is hard.

Good luck!

Hi everyone, 

I have been lurking on this topic for awhile and decided to post. I only applied to two programs for communication. I applied to MA/PhD as I am straight out of undergrad as well.

UCSB- Invited to attend their Open House Feb 23-25th.

Ohio State University- accepted in to MA program. 

I applied to two other programs in psychology and one (UIC) of them I am sure I will be rejected. I spoke with a POI and she informed me after we Skyped I would either get an invite to their interview weekend or likely should not expect anything else from UIC. I guess I'm thankful for the POI's honesty? Now it's just waiting until I get some sort of rejection notification. The communication programs I applied to took much longer to send out notifications than other programs I applied to. Hopefully everyone starts hearing back soon :)

1 hour ago, 2ManyTacos said:

University of Washington - No response, which is killing me because this was my top school and I see that others have already gotten rejection notices!

Welcome to Grad Cafe :) Are you talking about UW Seattle? If the answer is yes, I would say it's a good sign and you're maybe on the waiting list or something. In the rejection email I received a week ago they told me they received 186 applications for fewer than 10 spaces.

9 minutes ago, heyDW said:

I just got my funding letter from UMN. Super competitive + they have a good track record of funding in the summer. Woohoo!

Congrats! That's awesome!

Anyone know anything about fellowship offers? I've been nominated for a fellowship but I'm not sure if accepting a fellowship for the first year would adversely affect my employment chances post grad. 

5 minutes ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

Whelp, won't be going to USC. :(  

I'm so sorry, that really stings...but are those your stats on the admissions page? If so, they're very impressive! I hope you get a good response soon. :(

3 minutes ago, heyDW said:

I'm so sorry, that really stings...but are those your stats on the admissions page? If so, they're very impressive! I hope you get a good response soon. :(

Those are and thanks. :) One of the things I haven't liked on the results page is not knowing some stats, so I'm going to put them even when rejected. At least I didn't wait for the email. I just happened to check the portal this morning. If I'd gotten the email first, it would have been a bigger disappointment (anxiety would have been higher). Sucks though, because I think USC was actually my best fit. :/

1 hour ago, ejpril88 said:

Welcome to Grad Cafe :) Are you talking about UW Seattle? If the answer is yes, I would say it's a good sign and you're maybe on the waiting list or something. In the rejection email I received a week ago they told me they received 186 applications for fewer than 10 spaces.

In general, University of Washington or U-Dub is the one in Seattle :)