Out of field applicant: do I have enough to get in?

Hi all! I know you can't 100% accurately 'chance' someone, but I don't really know how competitive I sound overall. I just want to make sure I get into at least one school is all I care about! I want to specialize in bilingual kids.

GRE Verbal: 160

GRE Quant: 155

Writing: don't have score yet but I think I'll get at least a 3.5 or 4

Psychology and Spanish majors both have a 3.9 GPA, overall I have a 3.85

Relevant experience: tutoring Latino-American kids, research assistant for a preschool study on inhibition (going to start this fall), observations right before I started college of about 10 SLPs at one location a few times a week for two months, observations of another SLP a few months ago for two days, did my own research on second language development with the help of two professors at Pitt right before starting college (it wasn't published or anything but still good experience), and this summer I was a full time camp counselor.

I've also had two leadership positions in Greek life throughout college and I studied abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina for a summer.

Haven't asked for letters of rec yet but they will most likely be from a psych professor who used to be my advisor and has had me in several classes, the psych professor that's leading the research I'll be starting this fall who has also had me twice in class, and a Spanish professor that I've had like 5 times that knows me very well and who got me into the tutoring.

I plan to apply to: University of Virginia, Marquette University, University of Arizona, University of Colorado Boulder, UT Dallas, Indiana University, University of Minnesota, New Mexico State University, and Emerson College. All of these schools offer three year programs for out of field applicants and have either told me they offer bilingual placements or offer a separate bilingual specialization.

Thanks in advance!!!

Our Lady of the Lake in San Antonio has a bilingual track and is less competitive. Their post-bacc does not automatically grant admission to the Master's but it might be something to apply to as a back-up.

3 hours ago, Crimson Wife said:

Our Lady of the Lake in San Antonio has a bilingual track and is less competitive. Their post-bacc does not automatically grant admission to the Master's but it might be something to apply to as a back-up.

Do you think I have a chance with these programs to get into at least one?

I think you have decent stats but it's such a crap shoot. UT Dallas for example gets ~850 applicants for ~160 slots. None of your other target schools are on my list but you can check ASHA EdFind to see what they have to say.

22 hours ago, Crimson Wife said:

I think you have decent stats but it's such a crap shoot. UT Dallas for example gets ~850 applicants for ~160 slots. None of your other target schools are on my list but you can check ASHA EdFind to see what they have to say.

I hate having no idea what my chances are :( all my schools seem to have the same GRE range but from what I remember, normally only around 200 applicants I think. IU doesn't even release that info anywhere but I know they only accept 35 and they're one of my top choices.

I think you're in great shape! Your stats are good and your resume is incredible, so as long as you can write an SOP that will really make you stand out, you should definitely be able to get in somewhere. This site was really helpful for me in crafting my SOP 

https://www.essayedge.com/graduate/essayadvice/course/

Edited by BamaBelle

You're making me feel bad about my stats! Ha ha. Your application looks good. I just know that friends of mine were accepted and rejected from schools that they did not expect, so cast a decent net. Your list of schools looks good. Now focus on that SOP!

• 3 months later...

@BamaBelle I noticed you got into/chose to attend UTDallas, thats my #1 choice and I was curious if you'd share with me more of your stats and how you like the program so far. 
I graduate in spring 2017 from UCF, I have a CSDGPA of 4.0 and my GRE is 154V,152Q,5.0AW, which I thought was good but now looking at others scores I'm nervous. One of my letters of rec is coming from an alumni of UTD. Most of my jobs reflect working with people and I volunteer at a bilingual language immersion daycare (Kids Language Academy) teaching VPK and doing bilingual teaching to 2-5 year olds. I also teach color guard at a local high school and work part-time at the RWC on campus. 
I'm just really hoping to get in there.. so hopefully you can give me some tips on how I'm looking. I'd appreciate it a lot! :) thanks!

23 hours ago, k_kismet said:

@BamaBelle I noticed you got into/chose to attend UTDallas, thats my #1 choice and I was curious if you'd share with me more of your stats and how you like the program so far. 
I graduate in spring 2017 from UCF, I have a CSDGPA of 4.0 and my GRE is 154V,152Q,5.0AW, which I thought was good but now looking at others scores I'm nervous. One of my letters of rec is coming from an alumni of UTD. Most of my jobs reflect working with people and I volunteer at a bilingual language immersion daycare (Kids Language Academy) teaching VPK and doing bilingual teaching to 2-5 year olds. I also teach color guard at a local high school and work part-time at the RWC on campus. 
I'm just really hoping to get in there.. so hopefully you can give me some tips on how I'm looking. I'd appreciate it a lot! :) thanks!

I know I'm not in grad school yet but I don't think your scores should hinder you too much since you clearly have a great GPA and a lot of experience! But I'd also like to know how she likes the program, I've never been to Texas but it does sound like a great deal to only complete one extra semester as an out-of-field student.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2016 at 8:33 PM, k_kismet said:

Wow sorry I haven't been on in a while! My stats are Overall GPA: 4.0, GRE: V-159, Q-158, AW-3.5. Your GRE scores meet the minimum for UTD, and your resume sounds great, so as long as your SOP was good, I definitely think you have a shot! I just finished my first semester yesterday, and so far it's pretty great! I expected grad school to be super stressful, and don't get me wrong, it has its moments, but overall, this program has been pretty painless. Actually, at times it feels less stressful than undergrad. The professors are great and really care about our success. I feel pretty comfortable randomly stopping by any professor's office if I have questions. I don't think I could have found a less stressful program.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more specific questions

I'm an out-of-field Psych major with lower stats than yours and the first time I applied I was waitlisted at Indiana University, you have a shot there for sure. Bilingual programs tend to prefer bilingual candidates. I could've expressed further interest in Indiana if I wasn't accepted to teach English abroad in France, but I took the gig since it seemed like the only way I could ever use my third language in a practical setting while also helping my application for a second round.

• 4 months later...

You absolutely have a great background and stats. There is a huge need for bilingual SLPs so that is to your advantage. U of AZ is VERY competitive. Not that you can't get in, but it's a long shot for anyone. Apply because they are a great school, but don't feel bad if you don't get in! I know they do like multilingual candidates and research experience. UT Dallas is a great program - I am on their wait list and my stats are much lower than yours, so I think they look at the whole package. I would diversify where you plan to apply some. I would also suggest doing some research on the bilingual programs. Not sure if they are hard to get into due to limited faculty or if it helps you. If they're hard to get into it may be in your best interest to also apply to some schools that don't offer a bingual specialty. I believe you will be able to practice as a bilingual SLP, you just won't have a cert. I think ASHA's only requirement is that you are fluent or near fluent. If you can, try to get some volunteer experience. It will look good and having some experience will help you write your statements. Good luck!