Fall 2017 Applicants

Bschaefer

@AnthropologyNRT Congrats, you have some great options!  How was the finalists weekend at Rice?  I'm going to a similar event this weekend at one of my top choices - I'm one of about a dozen people visiting campus for a couple days to interview/meet dept members/tour campus/etc.  Any advice?  Whatever you're doing seems to be successful!

5 hours ago, museum_geek said:

@AnthropologyNRT Congrats, you have some great options!  How was the finalists weekend at Rice?  I'm going to a similar event this weekend at one of my top choices - I'm one of about a dozen people visiting campus for a couple days to interview/meet dept members/tour campus/etc.  Any advice?  Whatever you're doing seems to be successful!

I have found that these meetings tend to be much more about fit than anything specific to your potential dissertation. They each have their own sense of community and they want to know that you will be comfortable there for the next 6 or 7 years . 

Good luck on your visit! Just enjoy yourself 

11 hours ago, suavesana said:

I'm assuming this means waitlist, but I just checked Boulder's portal and have the following messageA decision on your application has been postponed. You will be contacted with details.

I have the same message. I'm assuming waitlisted too, but I'll let you know if I hear anything from the school or POI. 

14 hours ago, AnthropologyNRT said:

AHHHHHH! Accepted to Rice! Never imagined I could be in this position of choosing between my two dream programs. UCI vs Rice. Don't give up folks, ever!

congrats!!! I'm first alternate, fingers are crossed. interview weekend was so good.

7 hours ago, AnthropologyNRT said:

I have found that these meetings tend to be much more about fit than anything specific to your potential dissertation. They each have their own sense of community and they want to know that you will be comfortable there for the next 6 or 7 years . 

Good luck on your visit! Just enjoy yourself 

Thanks for the words of wisdom - I feel a bit less nervous now!

51 minutes ago, DancinFool said:

Someone on the results page said that erroneous Berkeley rejections have been sent out. Anyone want to claim this and elaborate? Sounds too good to be true.

...that seems super weird? And also how would they know that/hear that? I was rejected from Berkeley last week as well and it seemed like a pretty clear and solid no to me, which I was expecting. They also had done interviews and accepted a few people some time ago so I feel like that's a pretty weak rumor. Additionally, they rejected a lot of people over the past week or two so I doubt that was a mistake.

31 minutes ago, hantoo said:

...that seems super weird? And also how would they know that/hear that? I was rejected from Berkeley last week as well and it seemed like a pretty clear and solid no to me, which I was expecting. They also had done interviews and accepted a few people some time ago so I feel like that's a pretty weak rumor. Additionally, they rejected a lot of people over the past week or two so I doubt that was a mistake.

Yeah I agree. All seemed standard to me.

1 hour ago, DancinFool said:

Someone on the results page said that erroneous Berkeley rejections have been sent out. Anyone want to claim this and elaborate? Sounds too good to be true.

If this was true, it would have had to take them about a week to have figured out something was wrong. Seems off to me.

7 hours ago, homogenius said:

I have the same message. I'm assuming waitlisted too, but I'll let you know if I hear anything from the school or POI. 

I called and they just said it meant I'd be getting a letter in the mail by the end of the week. Not sure what kind of letter, but thought I'd let you know what I found out! :)

So I checked and some people were already accepted into Binghamton and Boston University. But it is for the PhD program. Is there a difference in waiting to hear for the school's respective master program? I'm curious to know. 

Oh and I forgot to say this! Congrats to everyone who was accepted!!!! Give yourselves a pat on the back!!!! ?

Edited by Mugi Mila

4 hours ago, Mugi Mila said:

So I checked and some people were already accepted into Binghamton and Boston University. But it is for the PhD program. Is there a difference in waiting to hear for the school's respective master program? I'm curious to know. 

Oh and I forgot to say this! Congrats to everyone who was accepted!!!! Give yourselves a pat on the back!!!! ?

Generally, the MA pool is considered after the PHD pool of candidates at most universities. Good luck!

Hey everyone! I'm attending a prospective student weekend at the University of Cincinnati this weekend, and I was wondering if any of you have good interview/first impression advice? Any questions you can think of that they may commonly ask about? Anything you shouldn't do/should avoid doing? Thanks, and best of luck to everyone still!

On 2/15/2017 at 11:31 AM, museum_geek said:

Has anyone gotten anything from UC San Diego yet?  There were 5 rejections and an informal acceptance posted on the results search last week, but I haven't heard back from them.  I just hope I'm not out of the running!

I heard back from UCSD on February 8th, admitted for Biological Anthropology! 

Do you know anything about securing funding?

So I got accepted into SUNY Binghamton, into their Anthropology Master program. I really did not expect this. But I am happy. Currently waiting for my other schools to respond. I have to call my program's graduate director in order to inquire about funding.

10 hours ago, epi_gene said:

I heard back from UCSD on February 8th, admitted for Biological Anthropology! 

Do you know anything about securing funding?

I still haven't heard back from them - with multiple acceptances and rejections posted I'm guessing I probably got waitlisted but I'm not going to contact them just yet.  No clue about funding, but my fingers are crossed that you find some!