Fall 2017 Applicants

Bschaefer

17 minutes ago, farflung said:

Edit-- forgot to add-- external funding will always help you get in. It's very difficult to secure without the support of a graduate program, however! I'm externally funded but 100% owe it to the time and dedication of faculty members willing to ruthlessly edit my grant application materials. 

Wait, so the faculty at the school you were applying to helped you also apply for external funding? 

Also thanks for the reply - it's been making me consider some alternative stuff for the next few years (like becoming an NP instead). This happened before when I applied to grad schools after undegrad - I was told first hand by a professor I wanted to work with (after the fact, over lunch at a conference) that none of the programs had funding to take anyone that cycle, save one student at JHU. Mind you, on top of the government problems....this was for Egyptology and was also during the Cairo uprisings. I did get in somewhere, but for an MA and I had to reevaluate my career path. 

7 minutes ago, Medanth013 said:

Wait, so the faculty at the school you were applying to helped you also apply for external funding? 

No-- I was admitted, and then they helped me apply during the fall of my first year of graduate school. The moral of the story: yes you can apply for external funding before admission (I did), but it's suuuuper difficult to secure! You're basically competing with people who have an entire department/institution behind them to help prepare their applications. 

Hey fellow applicants,

I have a question. Is it a common occurrence for a POI to ask you to attend a colloquium event/schedule a meeting with this POI while you're there, during the period in which the admissions committee is reviewing applications, even if you haven't been asked to interview or been accepted yet? I'm a little confused. It's expensive for me to book a flight to go visit and also to take time off work if they might randomly reject me after I've booked the flight or even while I'm there. Any advice is welcome, thanks!

Edited by Konstantine

I saw that someone recieved an email from Toronto about the waitlist. I still haven't heard a thing, but I also have not been rejected. Someone on this forum recieved a rejection email at the beginning of February. I don't understand why they can't just be clear to everybody simultaneously, I guess I didn't make it on the waitlist either :( 

13 hours ago, Konstantine said:

Hey fellow applicants,

I have a question. Is it a common occurrence for a POI to ask you to attend a colloquium event/schedule a meeting with this POI while you're there, during the period in which the admissions committee is reviewing applications, even if you haven't been asked to interview or been accepted yet? I'm a little confused. It's expensive for me to book a flight to go visit and also to take time off work if they might randomly reject me after I've booked the flight or even while I'm there. Any advice is welcome, thanks!

This sounds odd to me. You should not need to pay for a recruiting visit or in-person interview, at least in American universities. Perhaps they think you're already planning to attend the colloquium for some reason? Or perhaps this is the POI's way of saying they've recommended you for admission (fingers crossed it is this!). I would recommend writing to judiciously get a sense of the purpose of this meeting/visit. Something like, "The event sounds really wonderful, and I'm eager to meet with you soon. Unfortunately, it may be difficult to attend the colloquium in person because of my work. I have decided to wait until I receive official interview or admissions offers to make in person visits to universities."

14 hours ago, Konstantine said:

Hey fellow applicants,

I second @farflung. I would say it's relatively common for two people to meet up at conferences, but it's generally more of a perk. As in, both people are likely attending the conference anyways. But I've never heard of a POI asking a potential student spend money and go to a conference just to interview. Is the colloquium in your field? Is it cheaper than visiting the school itself? Is there any added benefit to you to attend the colloquium? These are all things to consider. But obviously, this is good news! Good luck!

Edited by boneflower

@farflung @boneflower Perhaps I was a bit unclear with this post. I had spoken with this professor months ago before the colloquium schedule was finalized. We had been talking and I said I looked forward to meeting him in the near future, and he responded with "If you visit the department, it would be best to come early in the Spring semester, around February while the admissions committee is reviewing applications. Many prospective students visit at this time and meet with faculty members they hope to work with if admitted... Some time in mid-Feb would be best to visit during a Friday when we have a colloquium speaker and reception. The colloquium schedule for next semester won't be up for a while, but this is where it will be posted when it is [insert link]." 

Fast forward to a couple of days ago, the schedule was finally posted and the professor personally emailed me to let me know that it was. I don't know if the professor has any info about what's going on with the admissions committee or if he is completely out of he loop, but from what he said, students often go out there to visit the department after they've already applied and while the committee is reviewing applications. It just seems kind of risky to go there during this time, especially because it requires me flying across the country and taking off work to do so. Does this make the situation more clear now?

1 hour ago, Konstantine said:

@farflung @boneflower Perhaps I was a bit unclear with this post. I had spoken with this professor months ago before the colloquium schedule was finalized. We had been talking and I said I looked forward to meeting him in the near future, and he responded with "If you visit the department, it would be best to come early in the Spring semester, around February while the admissions committee is reviewing applications. Many prospective students visit at this time and meet with faculty members they hope to work with if admitted... Some time in mid-Feb would be best to visit during a Friday when we have a colloquium speaker and reception. The colloquium schedule for next semester won't be up for a while, but this is where it will be posted when it is [insert link]." 

Fast forward to a couple of days ago, the schedule was finally posted and the professor personally emailed me to let me know that it was. I don't know if the professor has any info about what's going on with the admissions committee or if he is completely out of he loop, but from what he said, students often go out there to visit the department after they've already applied and while the committee is reviewing applications. It just seems kind of risky to go there during this time, especially because it requires me flying across the country and taking off work to do so. Does this make the situation more clear now?

From some friends who received interviews in the last couple of years, I know that CUNY invites possible admits to their colloquia but this happens in a more organized way, with official interview requests from the adcom etc. I haven't heard of any other schools using this method so far. And for CUNY, I haven't heard of this happening before you receive an official interview request. I do not know if they change their method but this is confusing. I think a good way might be calling the department and asking about the status of your application. This may clarify the situation if there are any misunderstandings. I hope that it works out well for you.

2 hours ago, Konstantine said:

I know that when my department has visiting prospectives they also invite them to whatever events we have that day/weekend, whether it's a colloquium, class, or social gathering. This is a way to get the applicant affiliated with the going-ons in the department, as well as an opportunity to meet the faculty and students. It's tricky because on the one hand you want to go and make the best impression and let them know they should accept you, but on the other, it's not a formal invitation or acceptance and could end up being a waste of time and money. I would suggest talking it over with a current advisor and weighing the options. It seems like the program likes you and wants to meet you but isn't being particularly transparent in their process.

2 hours ago, Konstantine said:

Hm, odd. On the one hand it's a great sign if the professor is personally reaching out to you! But I am skeptical that this is something you need to do. If they really want to interview you or recruit you for their program, they will find a way -- phone, Skype, or PAY for you come visit (the norm). This practice favors the very wealthy and geographically close, and I wouldn't feel bad about not participating. Just kindly let the professor know that because of distance and work, you're not in a position to visit in person at the moment. However, you will certainly make every effort to visit every university you gain admission to pending all decisions. You could even ask if the professor recommends reaching out or trying to talk on the phone with other faculty in the department-- can he think of anyone in particular you should make contact with?

Farflung just hit the nail on the head with their advice.  If this school hasn't admitted you or hasn't set this up as a formal interview with travel/lodging reimbursed then don't feel obligated to visit.  If they won't admit you because you didn't take off work and fly across the country on your own dime, then it's probably not a great place to spend the next 6-8 years of your life.

Also, just to clarify-- I also don't think you're more likely to gain admission if you go visit in February. Both years I applied, I visited a few programs in person in the fall (before I submitted apps) and it really didn't help!  So don't feel like an in-person visit will give you a big leg up. Your application materials will speak for themselves, and if they don't, they'll reach out formally for an interview. Most departments are very aware that most applicants can't visit in person.

On 2/9/2017 at 5:22 PM, homogenius said:

Accepted into Binghamton!! Just got an email from POI, its my first acceptance! I was scared I wouldn't get in anywhere 

Congrats! I applied there. Haven't heard anything, so I'm not sure. But you did it. You can relax a little now!!! 

16 hours ago, Mugi Mila said:

Congrats! I applied there. Haven't heard anything, so I'm not sure. But you did it. You can relax a little now!!! 

Thank you! I wouldn't worry, I just got an unofficial email from my POI, and it sounded like they would be sending out formal acceptances within the next week or 2. Good Luck! 

So I went to visit Mercyhurst University last, last Friday. Everything that I thought may happen, happened. My phone fell into the sink, my brother lost my debit card, and I arrived late for the campus visit... It was scheduled for 10am and I arrived at 11:55am! All these bad things happened and I thought of them as bad omens, indicating bad stuff to come my way. I wanted to cancel out of embarrassment, but my father continued on and we arrived, late. So I mustered my courage and headed to the admissions office.

Overall, my admissions visit was extremely cool! I spoke with Dr. Dennis Dirkmaat and he turned out to be not what I expected. And I mean that in a good way. He was really cool, talked casually, like very, to me. It left me surprised, I didn't know how to respond. I was ready for him to ask questions upon questions, but we talked. Then I met a couple of students and they were truly amazing. They all made me feel comfortable and less nervous. I toured around and got to see their labs and stuff. I really enjoyed it. It truly was a learning experience being there.

Has anyone gotten anything from UC San Diego yet?  There were 5 rejections and an informal acceptance posted on the results search last week, but I haven't heard back from them.  I just hope I'm not out of the running!

Just got another acceptance in this morning from Memorial University of Newfoundland. Funding decisions to follow, but pretty exciting to get in to a Canadian school (that tends to fully fund all students) as an American.

Anyone want to claim the University of Arizona acceptance? Haven't heard anything from them and I'm hoping it's going out in waves...

I Just got my official rejection from Michigan State, where I applied door The sociology program. I am going to try again next year as an anthropology applicant. I was expecting this since I already got two rejections but it still sucks. The mail was a bit..well not very subtle. 

Im now waiting in my last official rejection from Toronto so Ik van leave this behind me, drown in self pitty, and move on to next year!