Fall 2017 Applicants

Bschaefer

@farflung Yeah, I was going to point out the strangeness of Stanford. They, and I think a handful of other schools, have a history of disagreements so severe it split the department at one time or another. In departments with this kind of history you might see acceptances go out at different times.

Also, the above is one of the multitude of reasons that helped me decide not to apply to Stanford. :D 

1 hour ago, farflung said:

Hi ya'll. As an unpleasant head up, FYI, or perhaps confirmation if you've been wondering: formal rejections often do not come until MUCH later than the interviews and acceptances. So you may not *know* 100% that you've been rejected from a school until they bother to send you a letter in April or something. But trust your gut here: when interviews and acceptances have gone out, and you haven't heard anything from the school within a few days of that, you have almost always been rejected. At a certain point, *waiting* just becomes waiting for formal rejection letters, as offers for PhD programs are rarely made in dramatically differently-timed rounds unless you're placed on a formal wait list. 

If I look at the results from Toronto from last year, I can see some acceptenced in Januari, and then some mid March. I'm keeping my fingers crossed its the same this year and that I might be in the second group (I know the chances are small, but what esle can we do :P)

1 hour ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

@farflungAlso, the above is one of the multitude of reasons that helped me decide not to apply to Stanford. :D 

Yes! There are always political divisions within departments, but outright hostilities between department faculty are always terrible for grad students (we're usually caught up in the middle trying not to piss people off...)

2 hours ago, farflung said:

Hi ya'll. As an unpleasant head up, FYI, or perhaps confirmation if you've been wondering: formal rejections often do not come until MUCH later than the interviews and acceptances. So you may not *know* 100% that you've been rejected from a school until they bother to send you a letter in April or something. But trust your gut here: when interviews and acceptances have gone out, and you haven't heard anything from the school within a few days of that, you have almost always been rejected.

raw

23 minutes ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

I haven't seen or heard anything from NYU either @ishouldbeworking :/ 

Alas the wait continues. 

Also not to be a super creeper or anything, but I just saw your research interests on your page, and they sound really cool and somewhat similar to mine!! Would love to connect some time! Im primarily interested in food and culture, and how that they are mediated in online platforms-- broadly speaking of course. :-) 

Also rejected from Michigan (decision was in the portal). Pretty expected, as my MA's are in Comparative Religion and Sport Studies and I don't have an Anthro undergrad. UM was the only Anthro program I applied to. 

19 hours ago, gmr said:

Hi,

Does anyone have any post-interview news from Penn state?

I had a Skype interview in early January and was invited for a campus visit (visiting this Friday; I was able to choose when I wanted to visit). 

38 minutes ago, frscsci said:

I had a Skype interview in early January and was invited for a campus visit (visiting this Friday; I was able to choose when I wanted to visit). 

Do you mind to share when did you get the campus visit request? thanks.

Congrats everyone who got into Irvine! If it wasn't a rejection for me before I'm sure it is now, haha. At this point I'm happy for everyone getting in, but also just waiting for all my rejections so I can get over it and work on improving my app for next year. :D