Fall 2017 Applicants

Bschaefer

35 minutes ago, obicycleo said:

Not a more "formal" interview though, correct? My impression (from grad friends in the program) is that those happen later after all apps are turned in and looked at. Then again, I could be totally off-base in my understanding of the process. It's also possible that the timeline that I was given could be particular to applicants in my subgroup (Mesoamericanists), if that makes sense. Or I could simply be on the rejection list...who knows. Thank you for the response.

Yeah, that I'm not sure of. My friend and I had similar interviews and we were wondering if we would get another interview around this time. But for me, it was with all of the archaeologists and Dr. Scherer over a period of a few days. That's about all I can offer at the moment at least. 

Here still no word from Toronto and Michigan State. I have come to terms with the fact that I probably won't get accepted with cycle. I did however come across a vacancy at one of my dream companies in the UK, for the position of program director. Way way way out of my league of course, program assistent would be a better position. But I'm still going to try, you never know what doar it might open up! 

1 hour ago, EvelynD said:

Here still no word from Toronto and Michigan State. I have come to terms with the fact that I probably won't get accepted with cycle. I did however come across a vacancy at one of my dream companies in the UK, for the position of program director. Way way way out of my league of course, program assistent would be a better position. But I'm still going to try, you never know what doar it might open up! 

I wouldn't feel to bad if you don't get into Toronto. I didn't either, and my POI told me Anthro only accepted 3 international students this year across all three campuses and 50 faculty. So, really, don't take it personally. That said, you haven't heard yet, so no sense getting yourself worried over nothing.

I'm feeling the same way as you @EvelynD. Another program I applied to sent out some acceptances yesterday and still no status change for me. Right now I'm just gonna assume I'm not getting in and I'll work on improving my application for the next round. Of course, an acceptance would be a nice surprise, but I'd rather be prepared for the worst-case than let it surprise me later on.

On 1/25/2017 at 4:48 PM, striped said:

Hey all! Haven't been around in a while, but I've been keeping up with this board specifically as I wait for responses. I'm also pretty bummed that I haven't received an interview request from MIT HASTS program. It is the absolute fit-of-fits for my project and I spent a lot of time reading most of the published works of the professor who would be such a wonderful POI. I even had some contact back from her when I emailed her- while it was short, she did encourage me to apply and that my project sounded "fascinating". It was something, right? 

But after reading through the different discussions in the last few weeks on this thread, I feel so dumb for applying for a second round of PhD programs, especially to top programs. It seems like everyone here is currently enrolled in MA programs and many are getting rejections for PhD apps.

I don't have an MA and I feel like I've had a lot of advice from people on this forum and one of my LORs that you don't need an MA or publications to be admitted to PhD programs. A lot of schools don't even have MA programs themselves- so I'm really confused about the expectation these schools have. If most of their more qualified applicants already have MAs, but they themselves don't even offer an MA program, do they expect students to achieve MAs from lesser-ranked or state schools? I feel like that is my only option at this point- to spend upwards of 60-80k getting an MA from my regional state school (SDSU) and then reapply to PhD programs after. But people have advised against that, too.

I know that many of these programs offer admission to the PhD program and allow you to attain your MA along the way, which is what I was counting on, but now I just feel really ignorant about what they actually expect in terms of students who they are seriously considering admitting. 

I did apply to one MA program, but I am not keeping my hopes up. I feel so underqualified. How does one get published? How do you get invited to conferences? How does one get in the academic community when all they have is a bachelor's degree like myself, held one or more full time jobs while in school, and has no conferences/publications to show? 

I don't mean to bring anyone down. I'm just really lost and disappointed. I wish I had a better idea of the expectations. 

It is okay to be nervous. I, myself am applying to MA programs, rather than PhD programs. My advisor suggested I apply to PhD programs, but I did not consider myself a competitive candidate and decided to apply to better myself in a MA program instead. And also because a friend of mine applied last year to PhD programs and was rejected from all, despite being amazing, much better than me. So now we are applying to the same schools and awaiting results. And for me, this waiting is fraying my nerves but I am doing some reading, binge watching, and working in order to stop from glancing my phone. Also I am visiting one of the schools I applied to, so I can meet faculty and see the campus. As such, I am researching professors and writing questions to ask on that day. I hope that by meeting me, they will see who I am and remember me while making decisions. But that itself is a stretch. And it probably won't work to my favor. At least I tried. But I wish you luck. There is always a surprise around every corner.

I saw IU rejections up on the board. I applied as well but haven't received anything yet. Do they usually go in waves? I always thought that most of the time acceptances go out first.

This whole damn process is nerve wracking as hell.

Hi all. I'm very new here.

Only applied to 1 school (yikes!) but I've been in communication with the PI I want to work with for a little over 2 years. Had a meet-and-greet with the entire Department in November that he arranged. I'm hoping that good will goes a long way, because I literally only have one shot this season! :D

The deadline is Feb 1st, and I've been biting my nails since I submitted my application. I just hope they don't drag out the decision until March--or worse, April.

10 hours ago, Archaeodan said:

I wouldn't feel to bad if you don't get into Toronto. I didn't either, and my POI told me Anthro only accepted 3 international students this year across all three campuses and 50 faculty. So, really, don't take it personally. That said, you haven't heard yet, so no sense getting yourself worried over nothing.

Did you reviece a letter yet? I'm not in close contact with my poi so no word there. Pff,...the pospective of having to wait another year sucks. 

@enfp @EvelynD I believe it was across all subdisciplines, but I'm not sure. The way he said it made me think it was. No idea if they've been contacted, but I haven't received official notification yet either, so I'd image that, unless they heard from their POI, they haven't been notified. My POI just told me because he's cool, saw the official list, and didn't want me to freak out anymore. 

7 minutes ago, Archaeodan said:

@enfp @EvelynD I believe it was across all subdisciplines, but I'm not sure. The way he said it made me think it was. No idea if they've been contacted, but I haven't received official notification yet either, so I'd image that, unless they heard from their POI, they haven't been notified. My POI just told me because he's cool, saw the official list, and didn't want me to freak out anymore. 

Thanks for letting us know @Archaeodan :) What's taking them so long to notify?! ugh so annoying. And good luck @EvelynD ! And  I'm sorry it didn't work out @Archaeodan, Good luck with the rest of your apps!

Edited by enfp

38 minutes ago, Archaeodan said:

Now I am aware of the 'results page' and I promised myself not to check it, I checked it and saw that someone got a rejection on the 27th. Another person got an acceptance on the 30th and said that 'the list' is indeed out. Well, I guess @enfp and I have to wait a little longer! I guess the time difference between Amsterdam and Toronto is around 8 hours, so its only morning there. 

I found a cool PhD project in Schotland today, so I send out emails to two people working in that department. Preparing for the worst and moving on to applying in Europe!

@Mugi Mila Thanks for the perspective and encouragement! It's weird, I've consulted so many people regarding these inquiries and they all told me to throw my hat in the PhD ring- almost all advised against getting an MA first, and now it seems like people are strongly encouraging it (and even making it seem requisite!). I applied to seven PhD programs last year, and was rejected from all- I applied to 4 programs this year and think I will be rejected from all, again, just based on the prestige of these universities/programs. The deadlines have passed for all MA programs in my state for this cycle, and now I will have to wait another year, making it three years that I have been working toward this. It isn't so bad to wait for something so important- I'm learning so much and it's all been a valuable experience- but I really am tired of working jobs in customer service/industries that have little meaning or relevance to the future I'm trying to pursue. @EvelynD You can probably relate, working in a call center (I worked in a call center in 2015 and was right there with you!). So many people struggle their whole lives to figure out what they want to do- I am lucky enough to know with a passion what I want to do, and I can't seem to get there. 

I am so happy for people getting in, this cycle. I'm really excited that you get to embark on this amazing journey! 

23 minutes ago, striped said:

@Mugi Mila But I really am tired of working jobs in customer service/industries that have little meaning or relevance to the future I'm trying to pursue. @EvelynD You can probably relate, working in a call center (I worked in a call center in 2015 and was right there with you!). So many people struggle their whole lives to figure out what they want to do- I am lucky enough to know with a passion what I want to do, and I can't seem to get there. 

I can relate 100% with every word you say! Not everybody is able tot find a relevant job. I also have that fear of being 'left behind'. Most of my friends / peers have found something by now (but to be totally honest I have only been trying since this cycle because I wanted to be sure about my topic). Have you thought of trying for a PhD in Europe? Its a bit different since you apply for a project, but of you don't get accepted this cycle you have to wait anyway. Why not see if there are any options for you here?

I got into Syracuse!!!  I got the email 45 minutes before my UVA interview - talk about a rollercoaster of emotions!  I went from anxiety over the interview to freaking out over the acceptance and back to anxiety in about 5 minutes :rolleyes:

Edited by museum_geek

1 hour ago, museum_geek said:

I got into Syracuse!!!  I got the email 45 minutes before my UVA interview - talk about a rollercoaster of emotions!  I went from anxiety over the interview to freaking out over the acceptance and back to anxiety in about 5 minutes :rolleyes:

Congratulations! 

4 hours ago, museum_geek said:

Congratulations!!!

4 hours ago, museum_geek said:

Congrats!!! You can shed some of the anxiety now! ? Good luck with the funding!!!! 

Could someone claim the Berkeley admit? I interviewed last week, but no word since. Ugh this process is definitely not fun. I haven't posted anything here yet, but I think this is a great community and glad that it's here. Also, any word from Brown or Chicago? Isn't this around the time they send out interviews ? 

51 minutes ago, Doran said:

Could someone claim the Berkeley admit? I interviewed last week, but no word since. Ugh this process is definitely not fun. I haven't posted anything here yet, but I think this is a great community and glad that it's here. Also, any word from Brown or Chicago? Isn't this around the time they send out interviews ? 

Yess can someone pls claim? Also-- do y'all think that they are only accepting people they interviewed? Personally I didn't get an interview, so that's why I'm asking lol. I've already accepted I'm not getting in anywhere this cycle -which sucks!- but I'm looking forward to some time off from school. But anyway........

33 minutes ago, ishouldbeworking said:

Yess can someone pls claim? Also-- do y'all think that they are only accepting people they interviewed? Personally I didn't get an interview, so that's why I'm asking lol. I've already accepted I'm not getting in anywhere this cycle -which sucks!- but I'm looking forward to some time off from school. But anyway........

They said they have a shortlist of about 20 people, but I don't know if they interviewed everyone on the list..They said they will take about 12 ppl from the list, I think.