Fall 2017 Applicants

Bschaefer

1 hour ago, menge said:

Hi all- I mostly lurk on this board as the only Anthro program I applied to was Michigan. I'm wondering when decisions are usually expected from them? Based on the results page it looks like last year was an admissions disaster. Good luck everyone, keep your heads up! 

Didn't Michigan accidentally send out acceptances to a bunch of people last year?  I seem to remember everyone freaking out because they got accepted and then got a "sorry you're not actually accepted, our bad" email a couple hours later.

Yeah that program looks pretty cool.  I also considered applying for it since I'm in an interdisciplinary master's program and two of my committee members are in my school's History department, but I changed my mind at the last minute.

33 minutes ago, EvelynD said:

MSU? I applied at this uni too, and haven't gotten any news. You are not the only one!

I applied to UM actually, not MSU. I was interested in MSU geographically, but didn't feel I would be a good fit for their department, so I decided to save myself the time and money and not apply.  

31 minutes ago, museum_geek said:

Didn't Michigan accidentally send out acceptances to a bunch of people last year?  I seem to remember everyone freaking out because they got accepted and then got a "sorry you're not actually accepted, our bad" email a couple hours later.

I think I'd go crazy.

On a good note, I got a 5 month 'contract extention' at my current job! Five more months in a call center (yes, thats what a university degree will get you in the Netherlands), but at least I'll have an income!

37 minutes ago, museum_geek said:

Yes, this is what I was referring too! I can't imagine experiencing this. Rejection is hard enough on its own.

35 minutes ago, Quickmick said:

They have a really neat History/Anthro combo program (which I didn't apply to),

29 minutes ago, museum_geek said:

Yeah that program looks pretty cool.  I also considered applying for it since I'm in an interdisciplinary master's program and two of my committee members are in my school's History department, but I changed my mind at the last minute.

I ended up submitting to the sociocultural track, but mostly because I missed the Dec. 1 deadline for the Hist/Anthro combined program. 

Hey guys, this may be a dumb question--but thinking about it at the moment I'm afraid I probably made a rookie mistake. It totally didn't even cross my mind to contact POIs before applying (last semester was really rough so I had a hard enough time just getting apps finished and everything with stuff going on)--so thinking about it now I'm concerned about my chances decreasing after the fact...In my personal statements I always mentioned faculty/projects that I would love to work with, but never explicitly said "I want this POI to be my adviser" or anything like that...

Thoughts? 

4 hours ago, terraaurea said:

Hey guys, this may be a dumb question--but thinking about it at the moment I'm afraid I probably made a rookie mistake. It totally didn't even cross my mind to contact POIs before applying (last semester was really rough so I had a hard enough time just getting apps finished and everything with stuff going on)--so thinking about it now I'm concerned about my chances decreasing after the fact...In my personal statements I always mentioned faculty/projects that I would love to work with, but never explicitly said "I want this POI to be my adviser" or anything like that...

Thoughts? 

I don't think that is going to be a problem since you have mentioned names that you were interested to work with. I think in most of the cases admission committee send applications to those who might be interested in your project.

For instance, one school I have applied to have more than 3 faculty members I could work with. I only mentioned 3 in my statement of purpose. They contacted me recently and they included another faculty member I did not mention in my SOP. I also had a very crazy semester so I did not contact any POIs as well. So no worries, I think it's gonna be fine. I applied to sociocultural track but I don't think it is gonna be any different for archeology. 

Edited by klasik

45 minutes ago, klasik said:

I don't think that is going to be a problem since you have mentioned names that you were interested to work with. I think in most of the cases admission committee send applications to those who might be interested in your project.

For instance, one school I have applied to have more than 3 faculty members I could work with. I only mentioned 3 in my statement of purpose. They contacted me recently and they included another faculty member I did not mention in my SOP. I also had a very crazy semester so I did not contact any POIs as well. So no worries, I think it's gonna be fine. I applied to sociocultural track but I don't think it is gonna be any different for archeology. 

Thanks for the reply! I'm glad departments will put that kind of thought into that. 

13 minutes ago, MedAnth2016 said:

I don't post much, but I check this page almost daily-- it's an anxious time-- and I just wanted to say that the community here is great.  Everyone is so supportive of one another, and the positive energy is awesome.  Thanks to all of you for just being wonderful :)  

I'm happy to have found this community too. I don't have many friends going through it right now, let alone in my field, so it's great to find like minds. 

13 hours ago, Spaghettyohz said:

Anyone have info they can add about the MIT HASTS interview emails that went out today? Do you get the sense that was all of them, or do you think they might go out in batches? Thanks!

I wish I had some info too. Seeing interview requests go out for UCI, WashU, and now MIT is just depressing me.

1 hour ago, museum_geek said:

@terraaurea I wouldn't sweat it.  Not many (if any at all) programs require applicants to get in touch with faculty before applying.  Most of the POIs I emailed never got back to me anyway!  

That's good! Out of curiosity, what dept did you apply to for UT Austin? (Anthro probably?) I applied to Classics and like everyone else am still waiting...quietly...anxiously...

Hey all! Haven't been around in a while, but I've been keeping up with this board specifically as I wait for responses. I'm also pretty bummed that I haven't received an interview request from MIT HASTS program. It is the absolute fit-of-fits for my project and I spent a lot of time reading most of the published works of the professor who would be such a wonderful POI. I even had some contact back from her when I emailed her- while it was short, she did encourage me to apply and that my project sounded "fascinating". It was something, right? 

But after reading through the different discussions in the last few weeks on this thread, I feel so dumb for applying for a second round of PhD programs, especially to top programs. It seems like everyone here is currently enrolled in MA programs and many are getting rejections for PhD apps.

I don't have an MA and I feel like I've had a lot of advice from people on this forum and one of my LORs that you don't need an MA or publications to be admitted to PhD programs. A lot of schools don't even have MA programs themselves- so I'm really confused about the expectation these schools have. If most of their more qualified applicants already have MAs, but they themselves don't even offer an MA program, do they expect students to achieve MAs from lesser-ranked or state schools? I feel like that is my only option at this point- to spend upwards of 60-80k getting an MA from my regional state school (SDSU) and then reapply to PhD programs after. But people have advised against that, too.

I know that many of these programs offer admission to the PhD program and allow you to attain your MA along the way, which is what I was counting on, but now I just feel really ignorant about what they actually expect in terms of students who they are seriously considering admitting. 

I did apply to one MA program, but I am not keeping my hopes up. I feel so underqualified. How does one get published? How do you get invited to conferences? How does one get in the academic community when all they have is a bachelor's degree like myself, held one or more full time jobs while in school, and has no conferences/publications to show? 

I don't mean to bring anyone down. I'm just really lost and disappointed. I wish I had a better idea of the expectations. 

Edited by striped

@striped Don't feel down, students can and do get admitted without already having an M.A. If you don't get into a PhD this round, I'd say shop around some more for anthro M.A. programs. I go to SJSU for their Applied Anthropology M.A. and I currently pay nothing for tuition. I have a grant that pays all of my tuition and I work as a TA right now to waive my student fees. It is possible to get an M.A. without spending 60-80k. 

Regarding conferences, have you done any independent research? Last year I presented exploratory research at SWAA and this year I'll be presenting (if accepted) on a few different projects. I'm also planning to volunteer (if accepted) so my cost of conference registration will be $0. Conferences don't often extend invitations to students or independent researchers to go present, you have to apply. EPIC and AAA's are opening their calls for abstracts soon and I plan to submit my current research.

As for publications, you need to identify which journals would be the best fit for your research. I'm in an applied program, the research projects I've been a part of are applied, so the most likely anthro journal for publication is Practicing Anthropology. You can find out more about Practicing Anthropology, including the types of articles their looking for, formatting reqs, and submission details through the SfAA website. Speaking of, the SfAA annual meeting is also a great place to mingle and meet other anthropologists. 

Your best bet for becoming involved in a research project is to reach out to professors you've met and see if they have any research they'd be willing to let you work on. These professors can then help pinpoint conferences and publications that would be good for the research you've conducted. Doing research is how you get the material for presenting at conferences and getting published. Conferences rarely accept non-research related papers and publications in anthropology that do accept literature review analyses in lieu of new research are probably much more inclined to accept such articles from full professors, not students.

Hope this helps!

@GreenEyedTrombonist @Bschaefer Thanks so much for your replies! I don't really know how to begin that process, though. TAships are competitive- which grants cover your costs like that? People I have spoken to on this forum have almost all advised against going to get an MA when I know I want to pursue a PhD- I feel like I have received so much conflicting information. I'm just not sure what to be looking for, I suppose, so it makes posing the right questions difficult. Your replies are so appreciated!

@striped Here's my thing about that advice: Yes, if you want a PhD you should be primarily looking at PhD programs, but those programs are competitive. What if you don't get in? It can be pretty hard to do the kind of work you want to do in anthropology with only an undergrad degree, so why not apply to M.A.'s so, if you don't get into a PhD, you are still working on your education and skills as an anthropologist until you do. 

Regarding my TAship, my department actually doesn't offer them (yet, they're working on getting this fixed and turning the grad program into a fully funded thing for students). At the start of last fall a TA had to back out from another department so the dean of the college asked that the position be shared around. My department has a listserv, so I was able to apply quite soon after they sent out the request. Then it was a simple matter of interviewing and getting accepted. Usually, this class does not maintain TAs from one semester to the next, but I happen to love grading/my TA work and they saw my commitment so they offered to extend my contract for another semester. Therefore, I'd find out if the proposed MA department offers TAships, advertises research jobs to students, or lets students apply for TAships outside the department.

My grant is the State University Grant (California) and covers my entire tuition except for school fees. All I did to get this grant was fill out the FAFSA. Other than working as a TA and student researcher, I'm a freelance writer and online streamer. Thus, while I'm going to school, I don't exactly make a lot of money and qualify for grants based on need. :) 

Ultimately, the best thing you can do is research a variety of programs, talk to the people in these programs, and figure out if they could be a good fit for you. You're going to get conflicting advice and there isn't necessarily one right or wrong answer. You just need to figure out what is the right answer for you.

@GreenEyedTrombonist I totally agree with you about being able to research and hone your skills as an anthropologist in the interim (if you aren't accepted to a PhD program), but people seemed to advise against it anyway. Not really sure why...

I am a bit shocked that a simple Cal Grant covers your entire tuition...I am a first-generation American who comes from a very low-income household, and I'm also an underrepresented minority, and I barely qualified for some grants in undergrad. I went to SFSU. I owe $25k still (partly because I had to take out loans to help pay for the exorbitant rent in SF, but a good deal of it also went to covering tuition costs as well). I find it very difficult to believe that the Cal Grant covers your entire tuition for an MA! I'll definitely look into that! 

I have researched many programs and reached out to current students and professors. I've tried to find out as much as I can about best fits, and I've applied accordingly. Last year I applied to 7 programs and this year I've applied to 4. Last year I was definitely a little gratuitous with programs which is why I only applied to programs this year that were absolutely the best possible fits. Still...I know I will be rejected from all of them again. I have nothing to show.

Thanks for your insights, I really sincerely appreciate them!

@stripedgrad fafsa is a different beast. Even if you live at home or depend on your family for part of your income, you are considered independent for their calculations. I didn't get any grants in undergrad, but no problems getting coverage in grad. 

Never say you'll be rejected from all of them until you receive rejections from all of them. Even if you are rejected, consider asking for feedback on your application. Some adcoms will be willing to let you know what elements swayed their decision. 

3 hours ago, striped said:

Hey all! Haven't been around in a while, but I've been keeping up with this board specifically as I wait for responses. I'm also pretty bummed that I haven't received an interview request from MIT HASTS program. It is the absolute fit-of-fits for my project and I spent a lot of time reading most of the published works of the professor who would be such a wonderful POI. I even had some contact back from her when I emailed her- while it was short, she did encourage me to apply and that my project sounded "fascinating". It was something, right? 

But after reading through the different discussions in the last few weeks on this thread, I feel so dumb for applying for a second round of PhD programs, especially to top programs. It seems like everyone here is currently enrolled in MA programs and many are getting rejections for PhD apps.

I don't have an MA and I feel like I've had a lot of advice from people on this forum and one of my LORs that you don't need an MA or publications to be admitted to PhD programs. A lot of schools don't even have MA programs themselves- so I'm really confused about the expectation these schools have. If most of their more qualified applicants already have MAs, but they themselves don't even offer an MA program, do they expect students to achieve MAs from lesser-ranked or state schools? I feel like that is my only option at this point- to spend upwards of 60-80k getting an MA from my regional state school (SDSU) and then reapply to PhD programs after. But people have advised against that, too.

I know that many of these programs offer admission to the PhD program and allow you to attain your MA along the way, which is what I was counting on, but now I just feel really ignorant about what they actually expect in terms of students who they are seriously considering admitting. 

I did apply to one MA program, but I am not keeping my hopes up. I feel so underqualified. How does one get published? How do you get invited to conferences? How does one get in the academic community when all they have is a bachelor's degree like myself, held one or more full time jobs while in school, and has no conferences/publications to show? 

I don't mean to bring anyone down. I'm just really lost and disappointed. I wish I had a better idea of the expectations. 

Others can (and have) probably more helpfully answered your questions about getting a funded MA in Anthro. I'll echo, that can be a good option: I'm finishing up a funded MA in Religion at a state university, and it has been a great way to get back in the game even though I had a 6 year break between undergrad and grad. Also, depending on your interests, you might consider an MA in a better funded cognate discipline. Of course, it really depends on your interests. 

As for publications and conferences: look at journals and calls for papers, find something you want to submit to, and then go for it. I've presented at multiple conferences in the US as well as one in Europe—and received funding from my graduate college and department for most of these expenses. A lot of smaller conferences especially are easier to get accepted to, and they can be great lower pressure venues to begin presenting at.