Fall 2017 Applicants

Bschaefer

16 hours ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

What's the topic of your thesis?

I'm looking at the social imaginaries of outer space and how they are shifting from exploration to exploitation as the United States shifts from a nationalist, state-based past to a venture capitalist future. I also theorize that these venture capitalists are viewing outer space as the site of primitive accumulation. I use a lot of decolonization theory and analyze how the language surrounding outer space use frontier and colonial discourse. I've talked to Valerie Olson at Irvine since she also works in outer space and she seemed excited about the kind of work I'd like to do. I'm not entirely attached to outer space (although I'd like to continue my MA work) but would definitely like to delve into futurist discourse, nostalgia, and utopianism.

Your work on Twitch sounds really interesting! Online communities have always been interesting to me—I utilized them as a field site for this thesis.

20 hours ago, terraaurea said:

(Sorry if you've seen this post before--I've posted it in Art History and Classics--but it looks like this Anthro forum is lacking in Archaeology, so I'm posting it here too!) 

Hello everyone! I just joined, and I'm also so, so anxious about applications. I'm an undergraduate senior double-majoring in Anthropology and Classical Civilization. I'm applying to MA and PhD programs in Classical Archaeology. Some are in Classics, others are purely Archaeology. I'm shocked that there aren't many in Anthro--but at the same time I'm not. I'm happy for some Interdepartmental programs that are heavy on interdisciplinary work, because I want to be able to use my training in the other Anthro subfields! 

So far I've applied/will apply to: Umich-Ann Arbor (IPCAA, PhD), UCLA (Cotsen Institute, PhD), University of Cincinnati (Classics, PhD), Cornell (Classics, PhD; second choice CIAMS MA), UTexas-Austin (Classics, PhD), Brown (Joukowsky, PhD), Florida State (Classics, MA), Colorado-Boulder (Classics, MA), Boston University (Archaeology, MA), and maybe University of Arizona (depends on if I hear back from anyone before the Feb 15th deadline). 

All of the programs are so selective, and there are so many wonderful applicants, so I feel really overwhelmed. I have a double-minor in French and Latin, will have 4 semesters of Greek by the time I graduate, and will have 2 semesters of German. I've done a field school over a summer in Cyprus, and came back to Cyprus this past summer for a study season. Even then I feel so anxious because I don't have any publications and I only have 5 semesters of Latin total (it seems like many people have studied it since they were in the womb and I am jealous!). I know my profs will write me wonderful letters because I've gotten to know them well, but they are realistic with me and don't lie when they say that even very competitive applicants get turned down or waitlisted...

I'm looking forward to keeping up with this thread and seeing how everyone's grad app journeys go!! I'm going to go twiddle my thumbs anxiously a little more.

Following many of you, I can express my utter distaste for the GRE...I only got to take it once. I'm OK with my Verbal (160), not pleased with my Quant (149), but thrilled about the AW (5.5). 

Good luck to you all!!!

P.S. my interests are in mainly Roman provincial archaeology and GIS/spatial analysis. I also still have a sweet-spot for Cypriot archaeology because I've grown attached to it over the last two years. 

I was also an anthropology major, but only minored in classics. I have many friends who did the double major of the two and they loved it.  I just didn't have the time to do that sadly. So I had a major and double minor. Lol. My interest is still in Ancient Rome though...so I still plan on doing research later on with the Roman Empire. 

I do have a friend that got into UC-Boulder for Classics and he loves it there. His girlfriend his looking into graduate programs in both classics and anthropology because she can stretch across the two disciplines pretty easily. But I think the main reason there aren't as many classical archaeologists on this forum is because anthropological archaeology is drastically different than classical archaeology. Their methodologies are slightly similar, but their theoretical frameworks are different. But it is nice to have a classical archaeologist on here too. :)

I think you'll do fine honestly with your programs that you applied to. Many of them are very competitive schools to gain admittance to, but you'll never know if you can get in until you try!!!

Viel Glück für diese Saison! :) 

5 minutes ago, bioarch_fan said:

I was also an anthropology major, but only minored in classics. I have many friends who did the double major of the two and they loved it.  I just didn't have the time to do that sadly. So I had a major and double minor. Lol. My interest is still in Ancient Rome though...so I still plan on doing research later on with the Roman Empire. 

I do have a friend that got into UC-Boulder for Classics and he loves it there. His girlfriend his looking into graduate programs in both classics and anthropology because she can stretch across the two disciplines pretty easily. But I think the main reason there aren't as many classical archaeologists on this forum is because anthropological archaeology is drastically different than classical archaeology. Their methodologies are slightly similar, but their theoretical frameworks are different. But it is nice to have a classical archaeologist on here too. :)

I think you'll do fine honestly with your programs that you applied to. Many of them are very competitive schools to gain admittance to, but you'll never know if you can get in until you try!!!

Viel Glück für diese Saison! :) 

I definitely feel that. My first major was anthro, and I've had such heavy influence from it that I sometimes have difficulty understanding some theoretical aspects of classical arch. It all depends, but I feel very holistic having added anthropology. It is just difficult applying to places, because sometimes there is a sense of animosity toward one discipline or the other. I'm happy that the programs I'm applying to are very heavy on interdisciplinary work among several departments, because I don't want to feel overly uncomfortable having anthropological background in a Classics program. I wouldn't be worried if it weren't for the fact that a few European classical archaeologists have said to my face that they think anthropology is a waste of time and space...either way I'm glad that the programs I'm applying to maintain happy ties between Classics and Anthro. 

11 hours ago, marxistglue said:

I'm looking at the social imaginaries of outer space and how they are shifting from exploration to exploitation as the United States shifts from a nationalist, state-based past to a venture capitalist future. I also theorize that these venture capitalists are viewing outer space as the site of primitive accumulation. I use a lot of decolonization theory and analyze how the language surrounding outer space use frontier and colonial discourse. I've talked to Valerie Olson at Irvine since she also works in outer space and she seemed excited about the kind of work I'd like to do. I'm not entirely attached to outer space (although I'd like to continue my MA work) but would definitely like to delve into futurist discourse, nostalgia, and utopianism.

Your work on Twitch sounds really interesting! Online communities have always been interesting to me—I utilized them as a field site for this thesis.

Looking at the language used to discuss outer space is really interesting! It definitely sounds like the kind of thing I'd want to read about or attend a presentation for.

I just finished writing my main deliverable and sending it to my advisor for review. In total, it was a 49 page document and will be the core of my final report. I'm kind of terrified that she's going to email me back and tell me to scrap it completely...

Wow! It seems that the first notification of this season for our discipline has arrived for an Irvine applicant! Congrats and good luck with the interview process whoever you are!! I haven't applied there but I was so excited to see this first notification coming. :) I hope we can all receive some good news very soon.

12 minutes ago, giselle baron said:

Wow! It seems that the first notification of this season for our discipline has arrived for an Irvine applicant! Congrats and good luck with the interview process whoever you are!! I haven't applied there but I was so excited to see this first notification coming. :) I hope we can all receive some good news very soon.

I saw that! Congratulations to whoever that was! It is making me nervous though, since I applied to Irvine, haha.

14 hours ago, terraaurea said:

I definitely feel that. My first major was anthro, and I've had such heavy influence from it that I sometimes have difficulty understanding some theoretical aspects of classical arch. It all depends, but I feel very holistic having added anthropology. It is just difficult applying to places, because sometimes there is a sense of animosity toward one discipline or the other. I'm happy that the programs I'm applying to are very heavy on interdisciplinary work among several departments, because I don't want to feel overly uncomfortable having anthropological background in a Classics program. I wouldn't be worried if it weren't for the fact that a few European classical archaeologists have said to my face that they think anthropology is a waste of time and space...either way I'm glad that the programs I'm applying to maintain happy ties between Classics and Anthro. 

Huh. Well I've never heard a single person, classics or not, say that anthropology was a waste of space. If you apply somewhere and they say that or they put off that feeling then maybe it's not a good fit at all. All disciplines can work with each other and learn from each other quite easily. So by saying that another discipline, in which the original discipline has some similarities with and the other is larger and more broad, it takes away the interdisciplinary connections that makes academia so revered. Almost all disciplines work with at least one other discipline in some way or form.

Most of the programs that you're applying to are great programs at least. You'll have a great fit in most of them. I looked at Brown's program because I still love classics and I would have wanted to find a way to get both degrees (Classics and Anthropology). Maybe I'll get another MA in Classics later. But I have absolutely no background in Latin or Greek (only German). My undergrad didn't have a classical language requirement for minors, only majors. So I might not be able to get into a classics program at all ever unless I can get at least 2 years of Latin under my belt.

Well good luck with your applications all the same. :) I'd be happy to talk to another classics nerd if you ever need me.

2 hours ago, AnthropologyNRT said:

I got the interview! Hope everyone else gets good news.

Congrats!

I wonder if they send the interview emails out all at once or if they trickle in depending on who your POI was...

49 minutes ago, marxistglue said:

Congrats!

I wonder if they send the interview emails out all at once or if they trickle in depending on who your POI was...

The letter did not make it clear in regards to that, but I am pulling for all of you comrades

Should we be worried about not getting an email about an interview? Does that automatically mean that we are rejected or waitlisted? 

(I also applied to UC Irvine, you see. Freaking out.)

53 minutes ago, klasik said:

Should we be worried about not getting an email about an interview? Does that automatically mean that we are rejected or waitlisted? 

(I also applied to UC Irvine, you see. Freaking out.)

I'm not sure if Irvine is a school that interviews everyone they're considering accepting. However, looking through the last two years of interview invites, it looks like emails were sent out over 2 or 3 days by the school, so there's still time.

I'm in the same freak out boat, just trying not to think about it...

For my thesis, I am investigating stress and specifically psychosocial stress of sacrificed children and young women in the North Coast of Peru during Inkaic rule. Using 1 cm increments of a hair strand from these sacrificed individuals, I am examining for cortisol biomarkers that are imbued in the hair. This method coupled with isotopic data that I am running and osteological analysis for other diseases and such will provide a better insight to what was happening in this multiethnic community once the Inka gained imperium to the North. 

Sorry to post this later than everyone else haha 

Just got the bad news from Notre Dame.  Apparently over 75% of their applicants already have a Master's degree, which they said worked against me (even though I'm in the final semester of my MA program).  At least they were direct about it - this sucks but it's definitely preferable to an implied rejection or being left hanging for the next 3 months.

Getting rejected sucks but I'm not super surprised tbh - my POI is on academic leave this year and I don't think my project is as specific as ND wants.  Also, I just realized that I put my GRE scores in backwards on the results page.  It should be 163 verbal and 150 quant, not the other way around :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, museum_geek said:

Just got the bad news from Notre Dame.  Apparently over 75% of their applicants already have a Master's degree, which they said worked against me (even though I'm in the final semester of my MA program).  At least they were direct about it - this sucks but it's definitely preferable to an implied rejection or being left hanging for the next 3 months.

How did they contact you, if you don't mind me asking? I'm nervous because I applied as well but I just finished up my bachelors in June.....took a year and didn't even plan to get my masters. Pretty much have zero hope of acceptance at this point! lol

Im really sorry about the result though, that is such a bummer. It's tough going up against applicants who already finished up a graduate degree. good luck with your other choice schools!

@youinreverse I got a really nice email from the DGS this afternoon.  It was actually a pretty nice, thoughtful email as far as rejections go (at least compared to what I got when applying for MA programs).  I wouldn't say you have zero hope of acceptance - they haven't sent you any bad news yet which is surely a good sign.  Keep the faith!

2 hours ago, anjkris said:

Just joined gradcafe! 
I applied to GW's PhD program in hominid paleobiology, and got an interview -- does anyne haove any experience interviewing with this program? It's a Skype interview.

Thanks!

Congrats on the interview! 

To all of you that are waiting to hear back from Irvine -

Did you contact your POI before applying? (Email and/or phone) if so, do you know if that correspondence replaces the "interview"?  Or do they only interview people who didn't contact faculty beforehand... I'm really confused.