Fall 2017 Applicants

Bschaefer

@EvelynD If it makes you feel any better, My prof submitted her rec to one of my universities SIX days late, and they took it no questions asked. It's a pretty competitive place too. And she seemed really lax about making the deadlines, and specifically told me recs can get to universities late (in the US at least). She's  extremely well known in anthro circles which means she probably has to write recs all the time, so she knows whats up. It'll be fine, don't worry if the professor is late! Also re: typos, I forgot to add a reference mentioned in my writing sample in the bibliography :( 

Oh, I didn't even add a bibliography to my writing sample. I turned in a chapter of my thesis and didn't think of adding the references. If I don't make it this cycle I'm going to start an agency for Dutch students to help them prepare, so people don't make the same mistakes as I do :P 

By 'back up' referee ánd my original referee were both able to upload their letters! I might still apply at one more uni, i'm going to decide this weekend. But more applications won't make the ones that I already turned in better.

22 hours ago, usiwenawasiwasi said:

Is there any rhyme or reason to interviews? I know that they help committees decide between a shortlist of candidates, but it doesn't seem like they are done everywhere or all the time.

I interviewed with 2 of my schools and they gave me good feedback about SOP, doctoral directions, etc, and they had the chance to ask me if I was up to going out into the field my first summer and stuff like that. In my opinion, I think it's good so they can put a face to the application as well as be reassured that the professors, program, and student are on the same page for expectations and future goals.

Me again.

Two of my professors submitted their recommendation letters before the deadline (which was Thursday Dec 15 at 5 PM). On my application, it still shows that the letter of the third is not submitted.

After freaking out about the third possibly forgetting or postponing submission of my letter till after the deadline, I emailed him this morning and sent him another reminder from the school's application portal, pretty much begging him to send the letter ASAP, so that my application would still be considered. He replied that he had already sent it last night. However, my application still says it's not submitted, or even started! Obviously, I know he's telling the truth, but I'm very worried about the fact that it doesn't seem to be officially submitted with my application! Could it be that the system stops accepting any letters after 5 PM sharp?! If so, what do you think I should do next? 

Congrats! I stuck to my initial plan and didný apply to any more unies. I recieved an email from a uni on Friday, but it turned out that they hadn't recieved my TOEFL scores yet. I guess this is how its going to be from now on, flying of your chair when you see an email, until you realize its just an update or something.

On 12/15/2016 at 4:27 PM, DancinFool said:

@unitstructures I had similar technical issues with the video interview and emailed the department. They responded: "No need to submit the video. The video is an existing feature of the Online CollegeNET Application system and not a requirement for the NU Anthropology application." So I think we're in the clear! Breathe easy.

Thanks! Breathing. :) I hope the musicology dept doesn't require it either. 

Hi there everyone! Are there anyone else, like me, who is finished with applications but has to deal with final papers? I feel like I organized everything according to the application this semester and now that I am done I just cannot find any motivation to write my papers.B) Anyways good luck to you all if you experience the same and good luck with the waiting process in general!

Edited by giselle baron

So I've submitted all of my applications and am just waiting on one reference to write letters (which seem to come in the day before each app is due- 3 down, 2 to go). I'm sort of glad I still have grading left for my students. Once that's done I'm probably going to spend most of the break freaking out. x]

I know what you mean, literally any second now we can recieve good or bad news! I know its probably not going to be for another month or two (or three), but still. I've decided I'm not going to stalk my application portals for updates because that will drive me crazy!

I'm not having too much trouble with the waiting right now because most schools are on holiday break and I know that adcomms aren't going to start looking at applications until after New Year's.  I'll probably be a nervous wreck once we reach January, though.

50 minutes ago, museum_geek said:

I'm not having too much trouble with the waiting right now because most schools are on holiday break and I know that adcomms aren't going to start looking at applications until after New Year's.  I'll probably be a nervous wreck once we reach January, though.

Same here! I'm in the odd calm before the storm. Although it helps that I'm spending 10 hours a day writing my MA thesis. I think that will help me tamper the crippling anxiety of waiting for decision letters...

Edited by marxistglue

2 hours ago, marxistglue said:

Same here! I'm in the odd calm before the storm. Although it helps that I'm spending 10 hours a day writing my MA thesis. I think that will help me tamper the crippling anxiety of waiting for decision letters...

I just met with my advisor about my graduate project so once I'm done grading I'll be spending the next 3 weeks writing like a mad woman, haha.

On 12/25/2016 at 9:12 AM, AnthropologyNRT said:

Anyone else who is applying to Irvine had issues with them getting the separately emailed writing sample? Got a request from Tom Boellstorf to resubmit or risk having an incomplete application. Stressful.

I'm sorry that's happening :/

I emailed UCI a CV, writing sample, and my unofficial transcripts on November 3rd and didn't hear anything for a few days, so I had to email again to confirm they had received everything on November 9th. They emailed me back and said it was received but this was before I formally submitted my application. I hope everything was uploaded to my application...but I haven't heard anything from UCI so I'm hoping that's a good thing if they had emailed you about an incomplete application.

3 hours ago, marxistglue said:

I'm sorry that's happening :/

I emailed UCI a CV, writing sample, and my unofficial transcripts on November 3rd and didn't hear anything for a few days, so I had to email again to confirm they had received everything on November 9th. They emailed me back and said it was received but this was before I formally submitted my application. I hope everything was uploaded to my application...but I haven't heard anything from UCI so I'm hoping that's a good thing if they had emailed you about an incomplete application.

I am pretty sure its worked out. I was asked to email my writing sample directly to Leo Chavez and he received it. I'm just glad they reached out! Could have tossed it aside, I suppose. I submitted things in the same order as you, so I am not sure what the issue was, perhaps clerical error? 

On 12/25/2016 at 8:12 AM, AnthropologyNRT said:

Anyone else who is applying to Irvine had issues with them getting the separately emailed writing sample? Got a request from Tom Boellstorf to resubmit or risk having an incomplete application. Stressful.

I didn't have that problem, but I submitted it a while ago. Hope the resubmission went smoothly!

And my last rec letters came in yesterday (the last school sent a confirmation email today). Now all I need to do is wait...and finish writing my grad project, write abstracts for conferences, plan my Twitch streams and final deliverable schedule, and, and, and...

I should probably go do all that, haha.

Hugs to all those now playing the waiting game!