Fall 2017 Applicants

Bschaefer

2 minutes ago, koutlilor said:

To all of you that are waiting to hear back from Irvine -

Did you contact your POI before applying? (Email and/or phone) if so, do you know if that correspondence replaces the "interview"?  Or do they only interview people who didn't contact faculty beforehand... I'm really confused. 

I did contact my POI before applying but have no idea if that would replace the need for an interview. I also have no idea if Irvine interviews everyone they consider accepting or not. 

Did you just see the new result that came in for Irvine Anthropology?

On 1/12/2017 at 7:23 PM, museum_geek said:

@youinreverse I got a really nice email from the DGS this afternoon.  It was actually a pretty nice, thoughtful email as far as rejections go (at least compared to what I got when applying for MA programs).  I wouldn't say you have zero hope of acceptance - they haven't sent you any bad news yet which is surely a good sign.  Keep the faith!

My POI is on leave this year as well. Still haven't heard anything but I read that 10 students or so were chosen for interviews. We shall see! This waiting is absolute torture. 

18 hours ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

I did contact my POI before applying but have no idea if that would replace the need for an interview. I also have no idea if Irvine interviews everyone they consider accepting or not. 

Did you just see the new result that came in for Irvine Anthropology?

The letter I received called me a finalist. I have been in contact with a couple pois over the last year. They stated that interviewees will either be offered acceptance or placed on the waiting list by February 3rd. If offered I will immediately accept as Irvine is my top choice. Hope this clears up anything. Feel free to message me if you want to know more.

19 hours ago, koutlilor said:

To all of you that are waiting to hear back from Irvine -

Did you contact your POI before applying? (Email and/or phone) if so, do you know if that correspondence replaces the "interview"?  Or do they only interview people who didn't contact faculty beforehand... I'm really confused. 

No idea. I have been in email contact with my POI and had a Skype conversation with them. I haven't heard anything from Irvine yet either, though.

7 minutes ago, AnthropologyNRT said:

If offered I will immediately accept as Irvine is my top choice. Hope this clears up anything. Feel free to message me if you want to know more.

Just curious, why "immediately accept?" With so much going into the application process, isn't it to your advantage to see what comes down the pike?

On 12-1-2017 at 8:44 PM, museum_geek said:

Just got the bad news from Notre Dame.  Apparently over 75% of their applicants already have a Master's degree, which they said worked against me (even though I'm in the final semester of my MA program).  At least they were direct about it - this sucks but it's definitely preferable to an implied rejection or being left hanging for the next 3 months.

I haven't heared back from ND yet! I'm sorry to hear you aren't one of their picks, it would have been nice to meet you there! Fingers crossed thet they give me some good news then!

2 hours ago, Quickmick said:

Just curious, why "immediately accept?" With so much going into the application process, isn't it to your advantage to see what comes down the pike?

I suppose that was a poor choice of words. I have applied to two other programs. But as this is my 3rd and final cycle applying for PhDs, I am inclined to expect to accept an offer from Irvine. They have a history of excellent funding packages. Of course, they can tell me to take a walk after the interview, so it's all conjecture at this point. I have learned that there are really very few places I would want to spend 6 to whatever years and so have only applied to a small number of schools within my specialty. 

Wow, it seems everyone here are applying for their PhDs. I am only applying to master programs for forensic anthropology. I applied to three schools: Mercyhurst, Boston University, and SUNY Binghamton. I've entered the waiting game, too. I managed to set a date to visit Mercyhurst so I was wondering what questions I should ask since I'll be meeting professors. I don't want to look dumbfounded. Best of luck to everyone with your applications and congrats to those who secured interviews!!! 

35 minutes ago, Mugi Mila said:

Wow, it seems everyone here are applying for their PhDs. I am only applying to master programs for forensic anthropology. I applied to three schools: Mercyhurst, Boston University, and SUNY Binghamton. I've entered the waiting game, too. I managed to set a date to visit Mercyhurst so I was wondering what questions I should ask since I'll be meeting professors. I don't want to look dumbfounded. Best of luck to everyone with your applications and congrats to those who secured interviews!!! 

My friend started her masters program for forensic anthro at Mercyhurst this fall, she loves it! Ask questions about opportunities for students regarding conferences, publishing (co-publishing with students or with professors, etc.), how successful are graduates at securing jobs post-graduation, how many students are able to secure external funding, how many students are usually accepted each year, do many go on to earn PhD's, what classes are available, what are their theoretical focuses, etc. Definitely familiarize yourself with the research of your POI's and ask them questions about specific papers and overarching themes, talk about how your research aligns with theirs, etc. Just make sure to do tons of research on the program itself, the type of research they are doing, etc. Good luck!!!

Edited by youinreverse

@Mugi Mila I'm in an M.A. program for anthro right now so the only master's I applied for is an M.S. in Comparative Media Studies (aligns with my research interests). When you visit Mercyhurst, consider what you want to know. You'll probably want to ask questions that give you an idea of the upcoming research professors are planning, get an idea if the campus and department culture are right for you, talk to students about their workload and impressions of the program, and anything else that might be pertinent to your interests and could help with the decision. :) 

15 hours ago, youinreverse said:

My friend started her masters program for forensic anthro at Mercyhurst this fall, she loves it! Ask questions about opportunities for students regarding conferences, publishing (co-publishing with students or with professors, etc.), how successful are graduates at securing jobs post-graduation, how many students are able to secure external funding, how many students are usually accepted each year, do many go on to earn PhD's, what classes are available, what are their theoretical focuses, etc. Definitely familiarize yourself with the research of your POI's and ask them questions about specific papers and overarching themes, talk about how your research aligns with theirs, etc. Just make sure to do tons of research on the program itself, the type of research they are doing, etc. Good luck!!!

Thank you!! I jot down the questions into my journal I've been using throughout my grad apps. You've been so helpful!! I'm just nervous. I've shown my professors my SOP for Mercyhurst and took everyone's advice about rewriting it over and over.  I never thought it was perfect, just ok. And that's only for this school. The others, I tweaked in order to personalize it according to the schools. Despite them thinking my SOP is really good, I consider it decent. I don't want to let my hopes up. I have a good CV, LORs, but what kills me are my GRE scores. That itself makes me realize I'll probably have less than a 1% shot of being called for an interview, let alone be accepted. I'm pessimistic. And that is not a good thing, especially while waiting. ?

15 hours ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

@Mugi Mila I'm in an M.A. program for anthro right now so the only master's I applied for is an M.S. in Comparative Media Studies (aligns with my research interests). When you visit Mercyhurst, consider what you want to know. You'll probably want to ask questions that give you an idea of the upcoming research professors are planning, get an idea if the campus and department culture are right for you, talk to students about their workload and impressions of the program, and anything else that might be pertinent to your interests and could help with the decision. :) 

Yes, I'll keep that in mind. I've asked my professor for advice on how to wait and he basically said just do want you want to do. So I'm planning to write questions in flashcards for Mercyhurst. I need to complete this online course I started from the Physicians for Human Rights. It's an intro to forensic death investigations. And binge on my anime. Of course, I need to head to the library to read some papers from the professors of Mercyhurst. ? So I'll still be busy, not to mention work. Oh boy!

55 minutes ago, Mugi Mila said:

Yes, I'll keep that in mind. I've asked my professor for advice on how to wait and he basically said just do want you want to do. So I'm planning to write questions in flashcards for Mercyhurst. I need to complete this online course I started from the Physicians for Human Rights. It's an intro to forensic death investigations. And binge on my anime. Of course, I need to head to the library to read some papers from the professors of Mercyhurst. ? So I'll still be busy, not to mention work. Oh boy!

I definitely understand. I turned in my first deliverable draft last week (~50 pages) and am waiting to hear back from my advisor and editors so I can get it into its final form. Today I also need to write the outline for my final project report, get my employment paperwork turned in (I'm a TA), and do some cleaning. Tomorrow starts the writing of articles for a research project I helped with last academic year and editing a paper I wrote for a conference last year for publication. Then I need to write a couple abstracts to submit to a conference, finish reading 1984 before school starts, and, and, and...

It never stops! Good thing I work better under pressure, haha. :D 

1 hour ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

I definitely understand. I turned in my first deliverable draft last week (~50 pages) and am waiting to hear back from my advisor and editors so I can get it into its final form. Today I also need to write the outline for my final project report, get my employment paperwork turned in (I'm a TA), and do some cleaning. Tomorrow starts the writing of articles for a research project I helped with last academic year and editing a paper I wrote for a conference last year for publication. Then I need to write a couple abstracts to submit to a conference, finish reading 1984 before school starts, and, and, and...

It never stops! Good thing I work better under pressure, haha. :D 

That is a lot! Best of luck!!  I am actually going to start reading a book my professor recommended me to read. It is called The Land of Open Graves by Jason de Leon. I need to finish Witnesses from the Grave. But yeah, best of luck!!

I can claim one of those WUSTL interviews! Got an email from my POI asking to set up a time for a phone call, and I thought it would be a phone interview, but she invited me for a campus visit. I was shocked, and very excited because I haven't heard anything else from any other programs and the silence is getting to me. 

Congrats! A friend of mine at WUSTL let me know I wasn't on the list. I guess 7 people were invited for in-person interviews with several more schedule for Skype interviews.

I guess they were wanting to get more medical anth and anthros focused on Islam this year—bad timing for me!

Thanks everyone, I'm very excited! Does anyone know how many WUSTL usually take each year? I've tried looking around but haven't found anything.

Sorry to hear that @marxistglue but it's still early in the application season! We, unfortunately, have plenty more anxious days to come!