Fall 2017 Applicants

Bschaefer

@EvelynD So sorry to hear that!  Keep your head up - it seems like it was an especially competitive applicant pool this year.  Not to mention they notified you almost a week later than me, so you were probably down to one of the final cuts!

I'm sorry @EvelynD :( 

Today I'm feeling just a little bit better (though still anxious as all heck). Of the programs I applied to, only one is actually sending out interview requests at the moment. No word from the other 4 for anyone yet. Of course, I'm sad not to receive an interview. I really wanted to go to Irvine. :( 

On 1/18/2017 at 3:51 PM, DancinFool said:

Haven't heard a peep from any of my schools... 

kermit-rain.jpg

... but congrats to those who got interviews!

haha I feel the same way a student in my current program got an interview for WUSTL and it's been crickets for me

On 1/18/2017 at 4:01 PM, Bschaefer said:

haha I feel the same way a student in my current program got an interview for WUSTL and it's been crickets for me

I have a friend from my undergrad school who got an interview for Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL) too. Her focus is more of the paleoanthropological route though. She already got an acceptance into University of Arkansas (A LOT sooner than I thought it would happen).

5 hours ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

I'm sorry @EvelynD :( 

Today I'm feeling just a little bit better (though still anxious as all heck). Of the programs I applied to, only one is actually sending out interview requests at the moment. No word from the other 4 for anyone yet. Of course, I'm sad not to receive an interview. I really wanted to go to Irvine. :( 

Just from the engaging and empathetic way you carry yourself on this neurotic old site, any program would be so lucky to have you. I have felt the same disappointment  you are experiencing (and no doubt I will again), you got this still.

Thanks @AnthropologyNRT. That helps a lot. :) If I don't get in this year, I know that I can come to this site and get help with applications for the next year. :) 

Disappointment sucks, but I know I (and you) can get through it if/when it happens. We got this. :) 

18 hours ago, museum_geek said:

@EvelynD So sorry to hear that!  Keep your head up - it seems like it was an especially competitive applicant pool this year.  Not to mention they notified you almost a week later than me, so you were probably down to one of the final cuts!

Thats what they told me too! Many applicants with a MA in anthro or with several years of working experience. I made it to the last 30%, so I'm pretty proud!

This morning I arrived at my job, only to spot an email send by UCSB. There is a message in my inbox in the application portal, but since i'm at work I can't open it here. This means I have to work the entire day, go home at 6, shop for groceries, and thén read the message. The torture you guys!!!

10 hours ago, homogenius said:

Just rejected from UCSB. It definitely wasn't my top choice, but the first rejection stings man. I'm set to hear from UIUC and the wait is killing me...

Shit, if you got rejected, I might be too!

Edit: I had too and checked the message on my Phone. I got a rejection too! Two down, two to go. i'm getting worried, what if no one accepts me? I didn't even make it to an interview round or anything!

Edited by EvelynD

1 hour ago, EvelynD said:

Edit: I had too and checked the message on my Phone. I got a rejection too! Two down, two to go. i'm getting worried, what if no one accepts me? I didn't even make it to an interview round or anything!

@EvelynD and @homogenius Sorry about the bad news today but keep the faith!  My fingers are crossed for you with your other schools!  The anxiety about the future is the worst part of all of this :(

Right? And it sucks to get 2 rejections in 24 hours. What am I going to do if I don't get in anywhere, work another year at my currect callcenter job? Right now I feel like nobody wants me and that I'm way to stupid for any of this (my life-long struggle :P), so I guess i'm gonna spend my evening wating chips and dip and watching Netflix.

3 hours ago, EvelynD said:

I'm so sorry to hear that!  What are the other two schools you're waiting on, if you don't mind me asking?

MSU, and Toronto. I found some other ones but only after their deadlines had passed. I'm thinking about a last-minute application at another Canadian school because or topics match, but our regional interests don't.

Thanks everyone! We're all in this together.. it only takes one acceptance  right? 

I've got 7 more schools to keeps my fingers crossed for. Anyone have any ideas about University of Illinois UC? Based on the results from previous years they are set to send out information any day now and that just makes me check my email every 5 mins sadly. Also, for anyone applying to Colorado Boulder, they are gathering to look at applications next week! 

1 hour ago, EvelynD said:

I'm thinking about a last-minute application at another Canadian school because or topics match, but our regional interests don't.

Just my two cents, but I think it's worth it to apply.  You've mentioned before that you've had some trouble finding programs that fit your interests - I think if you find a place with professors who specialize in your topic then you shouldn't let differing regional interests stop you.

50 minutes ago, museum_geek said:

Just my two cents, but I think it's worth it to apply.  You've mentioned before that you've had some trouble finding programs that fit your interests - I think if you find a place with professors who specialize in your topic then you shouldn't let differing regional interests stop you.

It would involve a specific project in a different subdiscipline (geography or environmental sciences), so I don't think I could work on my own topic. Actually, I don't even know what kind of topic I should work on. The project itself is near perfect, exept from being in a different discipline and not knowing what topic I should write about in my letter. 

Edit: I'm not trying to sound like a Debbie Downer btw ;) 

Edited by EvelynD

Still haven't heared anything from the other schools, but I got some great feedback from the ones I got rejected from. I'm gonne keep it a bit broad, but one school told me there were others who had an actual MA degree in anthro (mine is in archaeology) and who had several years of experience in the field. The other school told me that my proposal wan't theoretically strong enough. Also understandable, since I'm new to the subject and didn't think I had to get thát specific. 

I'm still a bit sad, but also kinda proud that it wasn't anything personal and that these are things I can work on! After all this is only my first try and I didn't get any help from people in academia. 

On 1/19/2017 at 11:17 AM, EvelynD said:

MSU, and Toronto. I found some other ones but only after their deadlines had passed. I'm thinking about a last-minute application at another Canadian school because or topics match, but our regional interests don't.

Oh hey, another Toronto archaeology applicant. I'm in good company. Best of luck! What's your interest? I'm Arctic zooarch.