Fall 2017 Applicants

Bschaefer

On 20/01/2017 at 1:08 PM, EvelynD said:

Still haven't heared anything from the other schools, but I got some great feedback from the ones I got rejected from. I'm gonne keep it a bit broad, but one school told me there were others who had an actual MA degree in anthro (mine is in archaeology) and who had several years of experience in the field. The other school told me that my proposal wan't theoretically strong enough. Also understandable, since I'm new to the subject and didn't think I had to get thát specific. 

I'm still a bit sad, but also kinda proud that it wasn't anything personal and that these are things I can work on! After all this is only my first try and I didn't get any help from people in academia. 

You might want to have a look at the Queen's U geography department (in Canada) - I have a friend doing lion-human relations there. Also, I came across an anthro prof at the New School (in New York) who does work on human-animal relations. I forget his name. If you're switching subdisciplines you usually want to show that it's a logical progression. For Canadian schools, they usually look for an MA degree (because less coursework than in the US) unless you have an incredible undergraduate record in the discipline. Good luck!

17 hours ago, Archaeodan said:

Oh hey, another Toronto archaeology applicant. I'm in good company. Best of luck! What's your interest? I'm Arctic zooarch.

You too!! I'm into human-animal studies, so cultural anthropology. I haven't heared anything from them yet, have you?

3 hours ago, EvelynD said:

You too!! I'm into human-animal studies, so cultural anthropology. I haven't heared anything from them yet, have you?

Nah, just my POI just after deadline saying good luck...soooo it's been straight up panic since then. Yaaaay. But hey, if last year's results timing has any bearing on this year, we should only have to wait until the beginning of February :) 

Thats not too bad! I've heard (heared? I really don't know how to spell this and I've probably been doing it wrong all the time) from other schools who wait until March/April, so it could be worse. Now the 'shock' from my first 2 rejections is fading away I'm getting kinda comfortable in 'Schrödingers decision' again so to speak. Not accepted but also not rejected. 

2 hours ago, EvelynD said:

Now the 'shock' from my first 2 rejections is fading away I'm getting kinda comfortable in 'Schrödingers decision' again so to speak. Not accepted but also not rejected.

Sorry about your rejections, but that's an amazingly appropriate descriptor for this feeling....Schrödinger's decision. Classic. Well, either way, the cat will be out of the bag (pun fully intended) very soon.

Hahahaha :P When I read posts from last year I never realized the feeling would be this bad. I have never experienced something like this, in the Netherlands you just enrol for an MA like you would do for a BA. I was interviewed because I did an RMA, but that was nothing compared tot this. Ah well, at least we'll have some stories to tell when we're old!

I am very much curious about Berkeley interviews. Congrats to whoever they are! Looking at the last years' results I conclude that Berkeley does not send all the interviews at once. Could you maybe tell us if the invitation sounds like a mass mail or an individualized one?

14 hours ago, TP24 said:

Could someone claim the Berkeley interview? Maybe also let us know how you were contacted.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but where do you guys see information about interviews being offered to other people? I went to the online application manager but only see confirmation that my recommendations and test scores were received. 

12 minutes ago, rkstahl said:

I can claim one of the two interviews posted on the results page,  and it was a personal email asking to schedule a 20 min. skype conversation with two faculty members. 

Oh Congrats rkstahl and good luck!

On 8/16/2016 at 8:18 PM, Bschaefer said:

Hey All! 

Since the fall semester for some of us is going to be starting up soon and I thought we could start this forum for the next round of applicants looking for help, advice, exchange ideas, and so forth. 

For my interests, primarily I study Andean Bioarchaeology and complement it with Forensic Anthropology - and will be applying to Vanderbilt, Brown, Harvard so far. I'm sure I will add more schools as the semester goes. 

I know the application cycle is over and all, but you contact Silvana Rosenfeld at the University of South Dakota. She is an archaeologist of the Andes who specializes in food archaeology. She might be helpful in your research as you advance in your PhD. 

56 minutes ago, AP said:

I know the application cycle is over and all, but you contact Silvana Rosenfeld at the University of South Dakota. She is an archaeologist of the Andes who specializes in food archaeology. She might be helpful in your research as you advance in your PhD. 

Cool! Thank you I will! 

On 1/22/2017 at 11:06 AM, EvelynD said:

Thats not too bad! I've heard (heared? I really don't know how to spell this and I've probably been doing it wrong all the time) from other schools who wait until March/April, so it could be worse. Now the 'shock' from my first 2 rejections is fading away I'm getting kinda comfortable in 'Schrödingers decision' again so to speak. Not accepted but also not rejected. 

I'm with you @EvelynD! I was getting comfortable with my 2 rejections( they weren't top schools anyway) and then boom, rejected from another school. I can only hope that my interview goes well and keep my fingers crossed for my remaining schools. No news is good news right?

Hi everyone. I am a successful applicant from last year's cycle, and I know firsthand about the liminality, anxiety, and pain of waiting on graduate school decisions. Although people told me on this forum that the decisions were not personal, that many people who have plenty of merit are not accepted and that much of it is due to departmental politics of the year, etc., I still struggled to separate my sense of self and my self worth from admissions decisions. I just want to extend a hand: if anyone wants to ask any questions or express any fears or anxieties that they perhaps wouldn't want to share publicly, please feel free to send me a PM and I'll be happy to listen. A problem shared is a problem halved. 

15 hours ago, museum_geek said:

Sometimes I wish I had never found out about the results page...then I think to myself, "it's been 5 minutes, better check to see if anything new was posted."

I'm not even going to check that page, because if I do I'm just going to feel more nervous. I think. I might start checking in every 5 minutes from now on :P 

12 hours ago, homogenius said:

I'm with you @EvelynD! I was getting comfortable with my 2 rejections( they weren't top schools anyway) and then boom, rejected from another school. I can only hope that my interview goes well and keep my fingers crossed for my remaining schools. No news is good news right?

At least you have an interview! Good luck and keep us posted!

Hi all- I mostly lurk on this board as the only Anthro program I applied to was Michigan. I'm wondering when decisions are usually expected from them? Based on the results page it looks like last year was an admissions disaster. Good luck everyone, keep your heads up! 

1 hour ago, menge said:

Hi all- I mostly lurk on this board as the only Anthro program I applied to was Michigan. I'm wondering when decisions are usually expected from them? Based on the results page it looks like last year was an admissions disaster. Good luck everyone, keep your heads up! 

MSU? I applied at this uni too, and haven't gotten any news. You are not the only one!