Fall 2017 Applicants

Bschaefer

On 1/2/2017 at 0:48 PM, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

And my last rec letters came in yesterday (the last school sent a confirmation email today). Now all I need to do is wait...and finish writing my grad project, write abstracts for conferences, plan my Twitch streams and final deliverable schedule, and, and, and...

I should probably go do all that, haha.

Hugs to all those now playing the waiting game!

I'm in the same boat with my thesis writing. It felt like putting the cart before the horse when I had to stop writing my thesis to get PhD apps in but now I'm back into the writing groove. 

By the way, I lovingly ripped off your signature; I hope you don't mind!

1 hour ago, marxistglue said:

I'm in the same boat with my thesis writing. It felt like putting the cart before the horse when I had to stop writing my thesis to get PhD apps in but now I'm back into the writing groove. 

By the way, I lovingly ripped off your signature; I hope you don't mind!

I don't mind at all as I lovingly ripped it off from someone else! :D 

I think I'm at a place where I can finish my writing on Sunday for the main deliverable. My advisor wants it on Tuesday for review, so that gives me two days to edit and format, which should be ok...

My thesis draft is due to my committee on Feb 3rd. Hoping to get it done before that though because I would like to defend in early April after getting back from the SfAAs. Anyone else going?

Edited by marxistglue

I'm scheduled to sit as a discussant on a panel but am also trying to present research at AES, which is the same weekend. If given the opportunity I would do my own research at AES again over being disscussant. Still up in the air!

That's not too bad, and yeah I would agree with presenting your own research than being a discussant. In my opinion of course. Once conference season is upon us, I'm hoping to have defended, submitted to the Uni, and have (hopefully) chosen the school I'll be at in the fall. fingers crossed though haha

Hi Everyone!

I have been fortunate to follow along this thread as I've been applying to grad school-- what a stressful process!  I am wishing all the best to all of you.

Is anyone applying to JHU?  I noticed on their website they extended the application deadline from Dec 15th to Jan 15th ...does anyone have any thoughts on why that might be?

1 hour ago, EvelynD said:

Is it time to start expecting emails / interviews etc yet?

Based on the last two years, people being invited for interviews at UC Irvine should hear this week. Most admissions that I've seen seem to come very late Jan or the first week of February at the earliest. :/

@MedAnth2016 I'm also applying to Hopkins.  Not sure why they extended the deadline - could be that they didn't get as many applicants as they wanted by December 15?  It looks like they extended their application deadline last year too, so I don't think it's a big deal.

@EvelynD I'll go with the others here and say late January/early February is when to start expecting to hear back.  Did you apply to Notre Dame?  After I submitted my application, I got an email from the DGS which said they would finish reviewing applicants by January 16 and that we should expect to hear from them with either an interview invite or a rejection by January 20.  I'm counting on that being the first news - good or bad - that I'll get this season.

1 hour ago, EvelynD said:

Is it time to start expecting emails / interviews etc yet?

I've been through several rounds of grad school applications since 2006, and for me, it has varied with the earliest being end of February to the latest being in early May. It's fairly department specific, in my experience. Good luck! I know how tortuous the waiting game is!!

1 hour ago, AnthropologyNRT said:

Yeah I have started over checking my phone for an Irvine invite. Nutz 

Me too. I'm considering just moving my phone far away from me. I have about 10 paragraphs or so left to write for my M.A. project today but I just keep checking. x]

(Sorry if you've seen this post before--I've posted it in Art History and Classics--but it looks like this Anthro forum is lacking in Archaeology, so I'm posting it here too!) 

Hello everyone! I just joined, and I'm also so, so anxious about applications. I'm an undergraduate senior double-majoring in Anthropology and Classical Civilization. I'm applying to MA and PhD programs in Classical Archaeology. Some are in Classics, others are purely Archaeology. I'm shocked that there aren't many in Anthro--but at the same time I'm not. I'm happy for some Interdepartmental programs that are heavy on interdisciplinary work, because I want to be able to use my training in the other Anthro subfields! 

So far I've applied/will apply to: Umich-Ann Arbor (IPCAA, PhD), UCLA (Cotsen Institute, PhD), University of Cincinnati (Classics, PhD), Cornell (Classics, PhD; second choice CIAMS MA), UTexas-Austin (Classics, PhD), Brown (Joukowsky, PhD), Florida State (Classics, MA), Colorado-Boulder (Classics, MA), Boston University (Archaeology, MA), and maybe University of Arizona (depends on if I hear back from anyone before the Feb 15th deadline). 

All of the programs are so selective, and there are so many wonderful applicants, so I feel really overwhelmed. I have a double-minor in French and Latin, will have 4 semesters of Greek by the time I graduate, and will have 2 semesters of German. I've done a field school over a summer in Cyprus, and came back to Cyprus this past summer for a study season. Even then I feel so anxious because I don't have any publications and I only have 5 semesters of Latin total (it seems like many people have studied it since they were in the womb and I am jealous!). I know my profs will write me wonderful letters because I've gotten to know them well, but they are realistic with me and don't lie when they say that even very competitive applicants get turned down or waitlisted...

I'm looking forward to keeping up with this thread and seeing how everyone's grad app journeys go!! I'm going to go twiddle my thumbs anxiously a little more.

Following many of you, I can express my utter distaste for the GRE...I only got to take it once. I'm OK with my Verbal (160), not pleased with my Quant (149), but thrilled about the AW (5.5). 

Good luck to you all!!!

P.S. my interests are in mainly Roman provincial archaeology and GIS/spatial analysis. I also still have a sweet-spot for Cypriot archaeology because I've grown attached to it over the last two years. 

3 hours ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

What's the topic of your thesis?

How families of children with cochlear implants negotiate moral economies of care while fostering and conceiving of a subjunctive and even radical difference at odds, or at the very least paralleling the expectations of biopower. I use both text and photos made in collaboration with my interlocutors to get at the local/global circulation of their intimate material everyday worlds. Through this I hope to highlight how morals and biotechnology can be absorbed and rearticulated for hopeful, if uncertain, futures.

4 minutes ago, AnthropologyNRT said:

How families of children with cochlear implants negotiate moral economies of care while fostering and conceiving of a subjunctive and even radical difference at odds, or at the very least paralleling the expectations of biopower. I use both text and photos made in collaboration with my interlocutors to get at the local/global circulation of their intimate material everyday worlds. Through this I hope to highlight how morals and biotechnology can be absorbed and rearticulated for hopeful, if uncertain, futures.

That sounds really interesting. I'd be interested in reading your final report or an article or something. :) 

2 minutes ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

That sounds really interesting. I'd be interested in reading your final report or an article or something. :) 

I hope to have some form of it ready for AES but right now I am, like everyone else, in thesis hell. How about you? What is your focus?

48 minutes ago, AnthropologyNRT said:

I hope to have some form of it ready for AES but right now I am, like everyone else, in thesis hell. How about you? What is your focus?

I'm writing my primary deliverable right now. I teamed up with two organizations on Twitch (a livestream platform) and an online community that frequents their channels to understand how online communities form, make certain values central to their communities, and how organizational practices can affect community interaction. My primary deliverable is a toolkit for organizations looking to start, maintain, and grow their online communities. :) 

2 minutes ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

I'm writing my primary deliverable right now. I teamed up with two organizations on Twitch (a livestream platform) and an online community that frequents their channels to understand how online communities form, make certain values central to their communities, and how organizational practices can affect community interaction. My primary deliverable is a toolkit for organizations looking to start, maintain, and grow their online communities. :) 

That sounds awesome and a great fit for Irvine! 

2 minutes ago, AnthropologyNRT said:

That sounds awesome and a great fit for Irvine! 

I definitely focused on program fit when I was deciding where to apply. Tom Boellstorff is actually one of my references in my current research and I reached out to him before I started my application. :) Do you want to continue your current work in your next program?

6 minutes ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

I definitely focused on program fit when I was deciding where to apply. Tom Boellstorff is actually one of my references in my current research and I reached out to him before I started my application. :) Do you want to continue your current work in your next program?

While I am maintaining an interest in material agency, I am moving on towards toxicity as a representative state for both humans and more than humans in late industrial North America. My pois are Eleana Kim and Valerie Olson.