Fall 2017 Applicants

Bschaefer

Re: the Princeton faculty facebook posts being discussed on the admissions list: did anyone actually see these?

Just...wow.

I didn't see the alleged posts but I've been following the drama on the results page and it really is an extraordinary claim.  If it's true then I think it speaks to some serious issues with the faculty member(s) who posted/commented on the proposals in question.

Edited by museum_geek

On 03/02/2017 at 10:54 PM, benj said:

To the person who got the Stanford interview, congratulations! Would you mind sharing what subfield you are in?

Thanks! I'm an archaeologist. It was an email sent by the department (not a POI) to several people. I'm not sure whether that was the whole list or if they're going to offer more interview dates later. Hope that helps!

Before applications, our weekly super important lab meetings were the scariest part of Mondays. Now, I see those 2.5 hours with my boss breathing down my neck for useful contributions as a wonderful reprieve from uselessly stalking my emails...Funny how perspective changes.

On 2/4/2017 at 9:36 AM, AnthropologyNRT said:

So for anyone who was at UCI interview weekend last week. I was contacted by a fellow interviewee who talked to Dr. Chavez. He told them that the faculty convene this coming Tuesday and offers should be made after that. Not sure how solid this info is, but if it can help ease a little stress, figured it is worth passing it along.

Hope you all are well!

Thanks!!! That is very helpful. And congrats on the Rice interview!

20 minutes ago, marxistglue said:

Just got an email from the Chair at ASU's Human and Social Dimensions of Science and Technology (HSD) program! First acceptance! Anyone know a lot about STS programs or about this school? I applied on a whim.

Congrats!

2 hours ago, marxistglue said:

Just got an email from the Chair at ASU's Human and Social Dimensions of Science and Technology (HSD) program! First acceptance! Anyone know a lot about STS programs or about this school? I applied on a whim.

ASU has an excellent STS program. I don't know much about their faculty, because their research is a bit outside of my focus area. But I'm currently in an STS program, and Arizona is held in very high regard. Congrats!

32 minutes ago, Spaghettyohz said:

ASU has an excellent STS program. I don't know much about their faculty, because their research is a bit outside of my focus area. But I'm currently in an STS program, and Arizona is held in very high regard. Congrats!

Fantastic! Thank you for that insight! I was trying to find anything online about job placements/ranking and couldn't find anything (probably because STS is so new a field?).

This process is just terrible, but I'm glad there are so many good people here on Gradcafe to talk to about all of this!!

I've got a great interview weekend coming up--much to my chagrin that I might live far away from everyone I know and love--but the program (University of Cincinnati) is just so good that I could never turn them down if they offered me admission. Then I'm on a waitlist, then have one rejection so far. I anticipate two more rejections (UCLA and Michigan-Ann Arbor) because they would have contacted me by now I think if they wanted to offer me anything. 5 more to go...

1 hour ago, terraaurea said:

This process is just terrible, but I'm glad there are so many good people here on Gradcafe to talk to about all of this!!

I've got a great interview weekend coming up--much to my chagrin that I might live far away from everyone I know and love--but the program (University of Cincinnati) is just so good that I could never turn them down if they offered me admission. Then I'm on a waitlist, then have one rejection so far. I anticipate two more rejections (UCLA and Michigan-Ann Arbor) because they would have contacted me by now I think if they wanted to offer me anything. 5 more to go...

good luck @terraaurea with your interview!  Also, your statement "This process is just terrible, but I'm glad there are so many good people here on Gradcafe to talk to about all of this!!"   YES.  I couldn't agree more.  All of you are awesome!

9 hours ago, terraaurea said:

I'm just finishing my MA at Cincinnati now! I assume that you are a classics major but I can attest to the fact that UC is a decent place to study!

Edited by AnthropologyNRT

46 minutes ago, AnthropologyNRT said:

I'm just finishing my MA at Cincinnati now! I assume that you are a classics major but I can attest to the fact that UC is a decent place to study!

I am a classics major. How about you? 

1 hour ago, usiwenawasiwasi said:

Anth interviews for Stanford and UChi seem to have been sent out and there are some Toronto acceptances posted.... so I'm gradually losing hope/increasingly refreshing my gmail.

THIS PROCESS IS THE WORST!

I think the stanford interviews (9 slots) were for archaeology though. I have a feeling cultural does things separately. Looking at older records, they seem to have around 13-15 cultural interview slots. 

1 hour ago, usiwenawasiwasi said:

Anth interviews for Stanford and UChi seem to have been sent out and there are some Toronto acceptances posted.... so I'm gradually losing hope/increasingly refreshing my gmail.

Yeah, but the Toronto acceptances are from last week, just around the end of jan, begin of feb. Not really a lot after that. IO haven't heard anything either!

And yes, I wasn't really prepared for the stress that comes with the rejections/waiting. 

Hi ya'll. As an unpleasant head up, FYI, or perhaps confirmation if you've been wondering: formal rejections often do not come until MUCH later than the interviews and acceptances. So you may not *know* 100% that you've been rejected from a school until they bother to send you a letter in April or something. But trust your gut here: when interviews and acceptances have gone out, and you haven't heard anything from the school within a few days of that, you have almost always been rejected. At a certain point, *waiting* just becomes waiting for formal rejection letters, as offers for PhD programs are rarely made in dramatically differently-timed rounds unless you're placed on a formal wait list. 

Also, I know everyone wants to parse archaeologists out from cultural anthropologists. But.... in my department and every department I've ever heard of-- these decisions are made together, usually at a single faculty meeting. It is true that Anthro Departments admit different numbers of students representing different subfields. But at the point that they formally notify and recommend students for admission, they send a single list of students to the Graduate School, who then makes a formal offer of admission. The Grad School doesn't care how many students are cultural anthros, versus archaeologists, versus whatever -- they just want to know how many students the Department is admitting. It tends to be all at once.

Stanford might be an exception because their department has long been divided in strange ways. But in general, expect decisions from all subfields in a single Department to be released around the same time. 

3 hours ago, usiwenawasiwasi said:

Yes, a friend at Chicago just confirmed the interviews are all sent out so unfortunately for those of us waiting, I think, as @farflung points out, the wait is over. Oh well! Has anyone heard anything from Hopkins?