HGSE 2017

aina7

Hey! Has anyone heard about aid? If not do you know when we'll hear? Same question for Urban Scholars.

Congratulations again!! :)

22 hours ago, Expateacher said:

Not accepted. Discouraging after working on application for so long. But congratulations to those who were accepted.

I don't know about you others who were not accepted but I plan to try again. I understand everyone can make 3 attempts. So, here are my questions straight off:

1. But as a first question does anyone know if there is still a chance of being offered a place if those accepted have to turn down the offer of acceptance?

2. Is there a way to find out why one was not accepted? Was my GRE too low? Were my recommendations not strong enough? Was my Statement of Purpose not clear and succinct?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

1. No, I don't think there is a chance of being offered a place even after others turn it down.

2. Doubt it, but you could try emailing admissions and asking, or calling. Doesn't hurt to try.

14 hours ago, Lisha said:

Hey! Has anyone heard about aid? If not do you know when we'll hear? Same question for Urban Scholars.

Congratulations again!! :)

Congrats Lisha!  Aid information will probably come in a few weeks, probably by the admitted students event day, like a month from now. 

Congrats everyone and especially IEP :)

6 hours ago, barboza said:

Curious about the disproportionate number of admits to IEP (at least on this forum). Can a current student shed some light here?

Well, IEP is one of the larger programs. Also, I think message boards like this tend to attract a lot of international students to virtually connect, and I bet a lot of these IEP admits are international. But I don't know. Last year, I felt like one of the only IEP applicants here.

Edited by Vulpix

Hey y'all! Accepted - EdM in Education Policy and Management!

Can somebody shed some light on these admission rates? Dont need nobody throwing shade at my acceptance saying "everybody gets in". 

Also, I applied to some policy programs and I was wondering how well the education policy program covers actual policy. I want to somehow work at the intersection of policy and entertainment. 

Edited by HisGrace

11 hours ago, HisGrace said:

Hey y'all! Accepted - EdM in Education Policy and Management!

Can somebody shed some light on these admission rates? Dont need nobody throwing shade at my acceptance saying "everybody gets in". 

Also, I applied to some policy programs and I was wondering how well the education policy program covers actual policy. I want to somehow work at the intersection of policy and entertainment. 

We don't actually know the admissions rates. Gradcafe users are not representative of the whole applicant pool and I would argue the fact that y'all are here might show you were more committed or invested in the success of your application and would therefore be accepted. Also, a lot of people when they get rejected don't post it, for obvious reasons, they're like "screw it." So you wind up with a lot of people being like "I got in!" and the ones who didn't are just moving on with their lives because there is not benefit to keep posting in this discussion now.

As for EPM, because you get to choose your classes for the most part, it's really what you make of it. There are a lot of policy classes.

Edited by Vulpix

8 hours ago, Vulpix said:

We don't actually know the admissions rates. Gradcafe users are not representative of the whole applicant pool and I would argue the fact that y'all are here might show you were more committed or invested in the success of your application and would therefore be accepted. Also, a lot of people when they get rejected don't post it, for obvious reasons, they're like "screw it." So you wind up with a lot of people being like "I got in!" and the ones who didn't are just moving on with their lives because there is not benefit to keep posting in this discussion now.

As for EPM, because you get to choose your classes for the most part, it's really what you make of it. There are a lot of policy classes.

Very true!  Have you met anyone while you were at HGSE that was interested in entertainment? I am interested in tying education and entertainment together perhaps as a producer. I wonder how rare this is at HGSE....

Edited by HisGrace

Harvard and Stanford have their admit days on the SAME EXACT DAY! WHY?

But it looks like harvard is offering another open house on March 30-31. Anyone know anything about that/the difference from the April 2/3rd one?

9 hours ago, universe said:

Harvard and Stanford have their admit days on the SAME EXACT DAY! WHY?

But it looks like harvard is offering another open house on March 30-31. Anyone know anything about that/the difference from the April 2/3rd one?

March 30-31 is specifically for those admitted to the AIE, EPM, HEP, L&L, MBE, and TIE programs.

I just got accepted to EPM but I'm attending another open house that weekend :( Emailing the admissions office now about attending the April date

5 hours ago, sfab said:

March 30-31 is specifically for those admitted to the AIE, EPM, HEP, L&L, MBE, and TIE programs.

I just got accepted to EPM but I'm attending another open house that weekend :( Emailing the admissions office now about attending the April date

Just emailed Harvard admissions and they were really helpful. Looks like they're offering need-based travel costs, but it's limited. 

On 3/5/2017 at 3:30 AM, barboza said:

Curious about the disproportionate number of admits to IEP (at least on this forum). Can a current student shed some light here?

This has been the case for years now. While there's no hard data to support this - people on this forum can crucify me for that haha, I don't mind - it's an incredibly easy (and somewhat worthless) program to get into. If you can pay, you can attend. The quality of the courses, teaching, resources, etc. in the program - or even the students - isn't too great, from what I've heard from four of six ex-coworkers who went to study there. The students bit isn't surprising because a lot of them in the program haven't worked beyond doing some version of a feel-good public service program locally or internationally and feel they're enlightened enough about the world; also from what I've heard talking over each other in class discussions and contributing mostly fluff out loud is common. There's not a lot of deep thinking happening - unsurprising again since the GRE requirement published on their site isn't true (people with below average abilities to reason verbally, in writing, and using numerical data easily get in). What I've also heard: grad assistants teach a lot of classes (badly), HGSE is perennially broke and the amount of surprise fees throughout the year is ridiculous. If you want to attend things, you have to have $$$ to pay for it always: there are barely any opportunities to fund yourself once you're there. A lot more college money is going towards building buildings/infrastructure than on supporting students (or faculty). All of those 6 ex-coworkers of mine returned to their home countries after spending a LOT of money because job/career placement resources to stay on in the USA (something all wanted to do) are terrible. The Harvard tag for the IEP master's is not really a big thing for employers either - again, all of these ex-coworkers have jobs now at pay grades not very much higher than what they earned before (contrary to what they expected). All in all, a thoroughly shitty return on investment. I have no idea what the other programs are like, just IEP.

^ Pretty much why I declined the option to be considered for the master's program in case my PhD application didn't work out! The last thing I want as I push 30 is to bury myself in debt for an experience like that!

Edited by boscojoba

2 hours ago, boscojoba said:

This has been the case for years now. While there's no hard data to support this - people on this forum can crucify me for that haha, I don't mind - it's an incredibly easy (and somewhat worthless) program to get into. If you can pay, you can attend. The quality of the courses, teaching, resources, etc. in the program - or even the students - isn't too great, from what I've heard from four of six ex-coworkers who went to study there. The students bit isn't surprising because a lot of them in the program haven't worked beyond doing some version of a feel-good public service program locally or internationally and feel they're enlightened enough about the world; also from what I've heard talking over each other in class discussions and contributing mostly fluff out loud is common. There's not a lot of deep thinking happening - unsurprising again since the GRE requirement published on their site isn't true (people with below average abilities to reason verbally, in writing, and using numerical data easily get in). What I've also heard: grad assistants teach a lot of classes (badly), HGSE is perennially broke and the amount of surprise fees throughout the year is ridiculous. If you want to attend things, you have to have $$$ to pay for it always: there are barely any opportunities to fund yourself once you're there. A lot more college money is going towards building buildings/infrastructure than on supporting students (or faculty). All of those 6 ex-coworkers of mine returned to their home countries after spending a LOT of money because job/career placement resources to stay on in the USA (something all wanted to do) are terrible. The Harvard tag for the IEP master's is not really a big thing for employers either - again, all of these ex-coworkers have jobs now at pay grades not very much higher than what they earned before (contrary to what they expected). All in all, a thoroughly shitty return on investment. I have no idea what the other programs are like, just IEP.

^ Pretty much why I declined the option to be considered for the master's program in case my PhD application didn't work out! The last thing I want as I push 30 is to bury myself in debt for an experience like that!

Things like this are very helpful to know beforehand!  Wish you had intel about EPM

1 hour ago, HisGrace said:

Things like this are very helpful to know beforehand!  Wish you had intel about EPM

I'm glad you found it helpful (although not specifically to you! :P) I don't about EPM unfortunately, but I do know from the one ex-coworker/current very good friend that students in other programs have it better. She chose to take this one course that was largely made up of HGSE students from other programs and found both the professor and students MUCH better - i.e. the quality of discussions was great, the professor was actually interested in what he was teaching, that sort of thing. This friend of mine had to go through so much to actually get to the program and it's been heartbreaking over the past year getting updates from her about how awful it's been. A lot of the IEP folks, most particularly the American ones, seem to behave like really immature undergraduates both inside and outside the classroom, creating a terribly toxic social environment for everyone, but very especially for international/minority students. There aren't racist incidents per se, but from what I understand the international student community in the IEP program has been for a few months now talking about smaller acts such as being excluded / not fully included in study/project (I don't know if this is the correct term) groups by their white peers. The popular belief seems to be that "diversity" in the program is simply a buzzword and just an exercise in quota-filling , although of course I/everyone knows quotas aren't officially a thing. It's terribly ironic - given the program is IEP after all. As such, there's this whole white man's burden vibe to most of what's discussed by a lot of white students, particularly ones returned from things such as TFA/the Peace Corps. Cringeville, if you ask me.

There's no denying there are some truly brilliant, well-informed, racially-sensitive and decent folk - white or otherwise - in the program, it's just that they are rare is what I hear, and by no means is the 'culture' of the program reflective of those attributes.

Edited by boscojoba

6 hours ago, boscojoba said:

Sounds like you have an axe to grind here, but I can basically refute everything you've said, and it's really all opinion. But seeing as you didn't attend yourself I'm not sure you really know what you're talking about. I have no idea what building/infrastructure you are talking about, there hasn't been a new building in years. I was given full funding to attend the CIES Conference in Atlanta, as did most of my friends. I can't think of a single event I've had to pay $$ for since I've been here, if anything there are constant free lunches and always an open bar at events (for example). As for the quality of students, it's very insulting. The average age in HGSE is 26, which is probably typical of any graduate school, so naturally there is a limit to their experiences. However, the diversity of students and their collective unique backgrounds is a valuable learning tool. So what if a lot were in the Peace Corps? What do you really want from young graduate students?

As for the return on investment---I'm not sure what you or others are expecting. This is education and development, it's not lucrative. I don't think that's why we got into the field, so I'm not sure what your point is.

The Harvard tag has been very useful for me already, because Harvard alums in high positions will network easily with you.

As for GRE, I'm sure some people had lower scores, but from the limited amount I've talked with others about it, it seemed we all did pretty well. I also contend that GRE score has very little to do with higher-order critical thinking or one's ability to do so.

Edited by Vulpix

10 minutes ago, Vulpix said:

Sounds like you have an axe to grind here, but I can basically refute everything you've said, and it's really all opinion. But seeing as you didn't attend yourself I'm not sure you really know what you're talking about. I have no idea what building/infrastructure you are talking about, there hasn't been a new building in years. I was given full funding to attend the CIES Conference in Atlanta, as did most of my friends. I can't think of a single event I've had to pay $$ for since I've been here, if anything there are constant free lunches and always an open bar at events (for example). As for the quality of students, it's very insulting. The average age in HGSE is 26, which is probably typical of any graduate school, so naturally there is a limit to their experiences. However, the diversity of students and their collective unique backgrounds is a valuable learning tool. So what if a lot were in the Peace Corps? What do you really want from young graduate students?

As for the return on investment---I'm not sure what you or others are expecting. This is education and development, it's not lucrative. I don't think that's why we got into the field, so I'm not sure what your point is.

The Harvard tag has been very useful for me already, because Harvard alums in high positions will network easily with you.

As for GRE, I'm sure some people had lower scores, but from the limited amount I've talked with others about it, it seemed we all did pretty well. I also contend that GRE score has very little to do with higher-order critical thinking or one's ability to do so.

Well good for you! Not everyone has the same experience. You and your friends all got x. The people I know all got y. Incidentally, are you white? 

I have no axe to grind, and it's charming that you would jump to that assumption.

People from developing countries who come to the US to study have certain expectations. I could not possibly comment on what everyone expects, but at the very least I myself would hardly expect students at Harvard of all the places to talk over each other or contribute close to nothing constructive in most discussions. Sure I've not seen this myself. I never claimed to. Everyone I know who attended has told me whatever I wrote. Again, you got/perceive x. The people I know got otherwise. As for jobs, like I said. They expected to be able to work in the US and be able to use their degree to be paid more and do different work. They didn't, and don't.

I'm frightfully sorry you found the content of my post insulting. Terribly sad you don't consider yourself amongst the kind of people I mentioned in my second post, those who attend this program and aren't like most.

4 hours ago, boscojoba said:

I'm glad you found it helpful (although not specifically to you! :P) I don't about EPM unfortunately, but I do know from the one ex-coworker/current very good friend that students in other programs have it better. She chose to take this one course that was largely made up of HGSE students from other programs and found both the professor and students MUCH better - i.e. the quality of discussions was great, the professor was actually interested in what he was teaching, that sort of thing. This friend of mine had to go through so much to actually get to the program and it's been heartbreaking over the past year getting updates from her about how awful it's been. A lot of the IEP folks, most particularly the American ones, seem to behave like really immature undergraduates both inside and outside the classroom, creating a terribly toxic social environment for everyone, but very especially for international/minority students. There aren't racist incidents per se, but from what I understand the international student community in the IEP program has been for a few months now talking about smaller acts such as being excluded / not fully included in study/project (I don't know if this is the correct term) groups by their white peers. The popular belief seems to be that "diversity" in the program is simply a buzzword and just an exercise in quota-filling , although of course I/everyone knows quotas aren't officially a thing. It's terribly ironic - given the program is IEP after all. As such, there's this whole white man's burden vibe to most of what's discussed by a lot of white students, particularly ones returned from things such as TFA/the Peace Corps. Cringeville, if you ask me.

There's no denying there are some truly brilliant, well-informed, racially-sensitive and decent folk - white or otherwise - in the program, it's just that they are rare is what I hear, and by no means is the 'culture' of the program reflective of those attributes.

Not here to get into a debate, but I'd just like to point out that everything you are saying is nothing more than hearsay, so I think anyone reading it should take it as such. You are very critical of a program and organizations like TFA (of which, yes, I am an alum) without ever having experienced them for yourself. That tells me everything I need to know about your posts. 

9 hours ago, boscojoba said:

I have to second cavenue's prior statement. As a second year Corps Member in TFA who is not white, I think you need to re-evaluate your judgement and perspectives quite a bit. It is one thing to be in the program (or an alumni from the program) and make judgement statements around it, but it is another thing to be a bystander who is listening to only a few samples of thousands of people. I do have to say that TFA has a lot to change, but they are definitely not a program that is creating a "white man's burden vibe." In all actuality, it is a program that is constantly changing and improving, and has made positive impact in disenfranchised communities.

Also, I really hate your constant, blanket statements. It has the similar cognitive mindset of a racist individual. Just saying.