Oh that probably explains it haha. I completed my application on the 28th of January to the MPPA program. Best of luck with your application :)

Also that is interesting about the Munk School. I wonder if the numbers are over inflated? 

Edited by Duplified

7 minutes ago, Duplified said:

Oh that probably explains it haha. I completed my application on the 28th of January to the MPPA program. Best of luck with your application :)

Also that is interesting about the Munk School. I wonder if the numbers are over inflated? 

You too :) I'm not too sure! I didn't apply to Munk because it's sooo expensive and I like the fact that being in Ottawa for school provides a lot of coop/fswep opportunities - I currently work for Global Affairs Canada now so I'm hoping that will help the application haha. But, I have a friend in the Munk program and she really loves it. I'm sure you have great stats! You got this!

17 hours ago, Norma955 said:

I definitely agree with you all, I was leaning more towards NPSIA and their clusters are what mainly attracted me to the program, however, GSPIA has a larger diversity of professors in different fields, and my research interests align more with them. On a side note, I am sort of freaking out because I was just reading over my submitted GSPIA statement and I realized one grammar mistake, so I am really bummed out right now :(

Also who here mentioned professors and courses they would like to take in their personal statement? 

I mentioned professors and courses in my letter, but only two or three... Also, I find that re-reading my LOI after submitting will only bring you anguish! Don't do it! I've read over it a number of times before submitting so I'll just hope that I didn't make any embarrassing mistakes. Also, yay to this GSPIA train. Hope we all get in. 

3 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Last cycle, there was someone who got a GPSIA acceptance on Feb 11th. Hopefully they're this quick this year too! 

Is this in last year's thread??

2 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Yup! User name: LiamShag

Wow! I thought Feb 24th was the first offer..My anxiety levels just went up a little :) This means that by the end of next week or beginning week of 13th, admissions may start going out. The 11th fell on a Thursday last year, this year its on a Saturday. I doubt admission offer get sent out on weekends. So they will speed up or delay the first offer of admissions by a couple days.

31 minutes ago, msat said:

Wow! I thought Feb 24th was the first offer..My anxiety levels just went up a little :) This means that by the end of next week or beginning week of 13th, admissions may start going out. The 11th fell on a Thursday last year, this year its on a Saturday. I doubt admission offer get sent out on weekends. So they will speed up or delay the first offer of admissions by a couple days.

My guess is 'LiamShag' had such an exceptional application to get an offer that quick and/or submitted his documents really early! No one else in the thread got theirs until late Feb. Wow! That's just a week from now. 

1 hour ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Last cycle, there was someone who got a GPSIA acceptance on Feb 11th. Hopefully they're this quick this year too! 

I literally submitted all my applications the day they were due, hence I don't think I will be receiving early responses. It really depends on, do they look at the applications that were submitted first or is there an alphabetical order? Or does it go based on a rolling basis (those that submitted first will be evaluated first)? 

Also for GSPIA they haven't even uploaded my documents yet (i sent them an email :(). Who else is having the same issue? I wonder how long it'll take them.

32 minutes ago, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

My guess is 'LiamShag' had such an exceptional application to get an offer that quick and/or submitted his documents really early! No one else in the thread got theirs until late Feb. Wow! That's just a week from now. 

Yeah probs! I submitted my documents really early and uoZone has acknowledged receipt of all the documents so I'm hoping that will work in my favour! The waiting game is on hahah 

13 minutes ago, Norma955 said:

I literally submitted all my applications the day they were due, hence I don't think I will be receiving early responses. It really depends on, do they look at the applications that were submitted first or is there an alphabetical order? Or does it go based on a rolling basis (those that submitted first will be evaluated first)? 

Also for GSPIA they haven't even uploaded my documents yet (i sent them an email :(). Who else is having the same issue? I wonder how long it'll take them.

I'm also waiting for them to confirm my documents online and will give them a call on Monday morning to get an update on that! I turned in my documents on the 27th and am still waiting... Hoping it will update within the next couple of days.

This is just an FYI, but it looks like the Balsillie school has extended their deadline for applications to March 1st. I wont be applying to the program, but I just wanted to throw this info here if anyone was considering it :)! 

1 hour ago, Duplified said:

This is just an FYI, but it looks like the Balsillie school has extended their deadline for applications to March 1st. I wont be applying to the program, but I just wanted to throw this info here if anyone was considering it :)! 

Does that mean they have so far received a lower than expected number of applications? 

3 hours ago, msat said:

Not a good sign

How come? Do you think that more people applied to the other schools then? Or that there is a general decline in international/global affairs related interest?  

Edited by Duplified

9 minutes ago, Duplified said:

How come? Do you think that more people applied to the other schools then? Or that there is a general decline in International/Global Affairs related interest?  

I think it speaks more to their specific program, not the broader global affairs field. If anything, I feel global affairs has increased in interest/importance with the new travel bans, immigration laws, trump admin, etc. 

6 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

I think it speaks more to their specific program, not the broader global affairs field. If anything, I feel global affairs has increased in interest/importance with the new travel bans, immigration laws, trump admin, etc. 

Most def. Also I think the European migrant and refugee crisis and the driving factors behind it inspired quite a few people to pursue IA through their grad studies. 

28 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

I think it speaks more to their specific program, not the broader global affairs field. 

This. I have heard good things about the BSIA, but from a personal standpoint I don't think I would move out to Waterloo while there were comparable programs in bigger hubs of International Affairs.

14 hours ago, Norma955 said:

My partner mailed in docs for their application and DHL said they arrived on December 16, but they're still not checked off online. Mine arrived on December 22 and are checked off, since about January 20. Called in and they said that it kind of depends on which pile the documents are in, as they haven't yet processed all documents from December. They said to call back if sent documents are not checked off by mid-February. So, I wouldn't worry about it yet...it just seems they're terribly disorganized! I'm impressed they can make offers in such a short time, given that it seems they haven't yet processed all documents!

I forgot to mention this little bit of info that might be useful for aspiring MUNKs, NPSIANs, or GSPIANs 

I emailed all 3 program's admissions last year to inquire about how they calculate GPA's for assessment.

Here are the responses in case anyone else was curious:

MUNK:  We look at your final year GPA as being the most reflective of how well you will do in the program which is why we consider it more important than your CGPA. To calculate your final year GPA we look at your last ten senior level courses taken at a 300-400 level. If you have any 100 or 200 level courses they will not be included in the final year calculation.

NPSIA: Essentially what I do is start at your most recent courses and count back until I have a total of 10 credits (typically the last 20 single semester course) and will also calculate  your overall GPA and whichever is higher is what we will use as the GPA for the assessment.

GSPIA:  The Graduate Studies office calculates the admission average using the most recent 60 credits which are usually the last two years. 

23 minutes ago, mchutchi said:

I forgot to mention this little bit of info that might be useful for aspiring MUNKs, NPSIANs, or GSPIANs 

I emailed all 3 program's admissions last year to inquire about how they calculate GPA's for assessment.

MUNK:  We look at your final year GPA as being the most reflective of how well you will do in the program which is why we consider it more important than your CGPA. To calculate your final year GPA we look at your last ten senior level courses taken at a 300-400 level. If you have any 100 or 200 level courses they will not be included in the final year calculation.

NPSIA: Essentially what I do is start at your most recent courses and count back until I have a total of 10 credits (typically the last 20 single semester course) and will also calculate  your overall GPA and whichever is higher is what we will use as the GPA for the assessment.

GSPIA:  The Graduate Studies office calculates the admission average using the most recent 60 credits which are usually the last two years. 

This may only be useful for folks like myself who did undergrad studies at universities where it is a 4.33 scale and 3 or 4 credits courses - I found myself wondering how everything translates over.

1 hour ago, mchutchi said:

Im ok with their systems, as I did better in my last two years.