41 minutes ago, mchutchi said:

Yeah me too. I imagine we all did for the most part so I thought I would share it as good news :) 

This is very good news to hear! I had a rough first year due to my fathers passing. However, after that my grades have improved greatly and I am going to finish with first class honours with distinction. I also have a very strong CV and letters of reference. But I have been quietly going crazy trying to figure out if my CGPA will be high enough compared to everyone else with 3.9CGPA's. So now I can take a little breath of fresh air and focus on my thesis haha. 

Update! I also applied to the school of Globalization and International Development at UOttawa, I just checked my application on Uozone and it changed to "Under evaluation: Your file is now complete. We will inform you as soon as a decision has been reached."

sooooo nervous! 

Edited by Norma955
repeated myself

3 hours ago, mchutchi said:

I forgot to mention this little bit of info that might be useful for aspiring MUNKs, NPSIANs, or GSPIANs 

I emailed all 3 program's admissions last year to inquire about how they calculate GPA's for assessment.

Here are the responses in case anyone else was curious:

MUNK:  We look at your final year GPA as being the most reflective of how well you will do in the program which is why we consider it more important than your CGPA. To calculate your final year GPA we look at your last ten senior level courses taken at a 300-400 level. If you have any 100 or 200 level courses they will not be included in the final year calculation.

NPSIA: Essentially what I do is start at your most recent courses and count back until I have a total of 10 credits (typically the last 20 single semester course) and will also calculate  your overall GPA and whichever is higher is what we will use as the GPA for the assessment.

GSPIA:  The Graduate Studies office calculates the admission average using the most recent 60 credits which are usually the last two years. 

Thank you for sharing this! My GPA has been consistent over the last 4 years with a small increase in the last two. Do you know what the average grade is for accepted applicants? 

27 minutes ago, Norma955 said:

Update! I also applied to the school of Globalization and International Development at UOttawa, I just checked my application on Uozone and it changed to "Under evaluation: Your file is now complete. We will inform you as soon as a decision has been reached."

sooooo nervous! 

UOttawa doesn't waste any time! I like it :) Hopefully, they can finalize all my documents and start the assessment process. 

26 minutes ago, Norma955 said:

Thank you for sharing this! My GPA has been consistent over the last 4 years with a small increase in the last two. Do you know what the average grade is for accepted applicants? 

I have no idea, but in 2014 MUNK admissions told me this via email exchange:  The final year GPA (last 10 senior level courses) average of our entering class this year was 3.7. But that is just the average and it is final year GPA only.

1 hour ago, mchutchi said:

I have no idea, but in 2014 MUNK admissions told me this via email exchange:  The final year GPA (last 10 senior level courses) average of our entering class this year was 3.7. But that is just the average and it is final year GPA only.

I wouldn't worry too much about GPA. The range in GPAs for those admitted to these programs tends to vary to some extent. I know that by reading previous threads, there are applicants who were admitted to programs without having met the minimum GPA. Other factors, such as LOI and references come into play as well.  

Edited by msat

9 hours ago, mchutchi said:

I forgot to mention this little bit of info that might be useful for aspiring MUNKs, NPSIANs, or GSPIANs 

I emailed all 3 program's admissions last year to inquire about how they calculate GPA's for assessment.

Here are the responses in case anyone else was curious:

MUNK:  We look at your final year GPA as being the most reflective of how well you will do in the program which is why we consider it more important than your CGPA. To calculate your final year GPA we look at your last ten senior level courses taken at a 300-400 level. If you have any 100 or 200 level courses they will not be included in the final year calculation.

NPSIA: Essentially what I do is start at your most recent courses and count back until I have a total of 10 credits (typically the last 20 single semester course) and will also calculate  your overall GPA and whichever is higher is what we will use as the GPA for the assessment.

GSPIA:  The Graduate Studies office calculates the admission average using the most recent 60 credits which are usually the last two years. 

I am super ok with this for NPSIA - but I only took a total of 8 300 and 400 level courses in my undergrad so I wonder how that will work out with Munk...

I also did an exchange on my last two years so I wonder how those grades apply.

5 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Anyone still on preliminary review required for NPSIA? I'm under evaluation for GPSIA and uOttawa's Public Admin and recommended for assessment for Carleton's MPPA. 

My NPSIA status is still showing "preliminary review required"

My GSPIA status shows incomplete as they have not yet processed all of my documents. The same goes for my UOttawa MPA application. As soon as they process my "research description" document for the MPA, I will call graduate studies and tell em to "mate" my file. The reason being, the same CV and LORs can be used for both applications.

27 minutes ago, msat said:

My NPSIA status is still showing "preliminary review required"

My GSPIA status shows incomplete as they have not yet processed all of my documents. The same goes for my UOttawa MPA application. As soon as they process my "research description" document for the MPA, I will call graduate studies and tell em to "mate" my file. The reason being, the same CV and LORs can be used for both applications.

3 minutes ago, DefeatistElitist said:

Yeah, mine still says that too.

Okay good to know! What is everyone's programs ranks/why? I applied to a lot of the same programs and just want to see your thoughts :) 

37 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Okay good to know! What is everyone's programs ranks/why? I applied to a lot of the same programs and just want to see your thoughts :) 

NPSIA (Intelligence, Security Defence, Conflict Analysis)

GSPIA (Intl affairs, Public Policy, Development)

10 hours ago, Hopeful2017 said:

1. NPSIA (International Economy Policy, Intelligence, Security)

2. Munk (Global Capital Markets)

I prefer NPSIA because it's WAY cheaper, in Ottawa and more aligned with my research and career interests/general view of IR. UOttawa strikes me a little more leftist that I'd be comfortable with and Munk seems more private sector oriented that I'd necessarily prefer.

Edited by DefeatistElitist

6 hours ago, DefeatistElitist said:

1. NPSIA (International Economy Policy, Intelligence, Security)

2. Munk (Global Capital Markets)

I prefer NPSIA because it's WAY cheaper, in Ottawa and more aligned with my research and career interests/general view of IR. UOttawa strikes me a little more leftist that I'd be comfortable with and Munk seems more private sector oriented that I'd necessarily prefer.

Two questions that I have are:

1) From my knowledge, it is actually the opposite, and this excludes NPSIA's typically smaller funding packages....  

UOttawa Tuition Last Year for all Social Sciences MA Programs: $6,330- I added both the fall and winter totals from here, using the filters : http://www.uottawa.ca/university-fees/tuition-fees

Carleton's Tuition Last Year (Specifies their MA Intl. Affairs Program or NPSIA): $8,565http://carleton.ca/studentaccounts/tuition-fees/fw-gr/fallwinter-2016-17-domestic-graduate-tuition-fees/

2) I'm confused as to how you'd come to the conclusion that GSPIA or UOttawa is more 'leftist'? If so, what is that supposed to mean? Personally speaking, I don't find NPSIA's economics-driven, westocentric, predominantly white, neo-liberal faculty to be somehow more comforting. GSPIA doesn't come across as overtly leftist but it does pay more attention to having a more diverse faculty and course offerings, something that students potentially preparing for careers in public policy ought to have, in my humble opinion. 

47 minutes ago, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

Two questions that I have are:

1) From my knowledge, it is actually the opposite, and this excludes NPSIA's typically smaller funding packages....  

UOttawa Tuition Last Year for all Social Sciences MA Programs: $6,330- I added both the fall and winter totals from here, using the filters : http://www.uottawa.ca/university-fees/tuition-fees

Carleton's Tuition Last Year (Specifies their MA Intl. Affairs Program or NPSIA): $8,565http://carleton.ca/studentaccounts/tuition-fees/fw-gr/fallwinter-2016-17-domestic-graduate-tuition-fees/

2) I'm confused as to how you'd come to the conclusion that GSPIA or UOttawa is more 'leftist'? If so, what is that supposed to mean? Personally speaking, I don't find NPSIA's economics-driven, westocentric, predominantly white, neo-liberal faculty to be somehow more comforting. GSPIA doesn't come across as overtly leftist but it does pay more attention to having a more diverse faculty and course offerings, something that students potentially preparing for careers in public policy ought to have, in my humble opinion. 

GSPIA vibrates to the Left. NPSIA vibrates to the Right. Different strokes for different folks! 

1 hour ago, mchutchi said:

GSPIA vibrates to the Left. NPSIA vibrates to the Right. Different strokes for different folks! 

Be that as it may, I'm still curious as to how the original poster came to this conclusion? Is there empirical evidence to suggest this, or in the very least anecdotal evidence?

My evidence to suggest this is anecdotal - I have friends at GSPIA and NPSIA and from what I gather NPSIA has a more neoliberal, economics focused approach and GSPIA takes a more critically focused one. 

This isn't meant to be a criticism of GSPIA or critically focused IR!! Just that it doesn't necessarily suit my research or career interests on a personal level. As mchutchi stated above, different strokes.

4 hours ago, msat said:

Be that as it may, I'm still curious as to how the original poster came to this conclusion? Is there empirical evidence to suggest this, or in the very least anecdotal evidence?

38 minutes ago, DefeatistElitist said:

My evidence to suggest this is anecdotal - I have friends at GSPIA and NPSIA and from what I gather NPSIA has a more neoliberal, economics focused approach and GSPIA takes a more critically focused one. 

This isn't meant to be a criticism of GSPIA or critically focused IR!! Just that it doesn't necessarily suit my research or career interests on a personal level. As mchutchi stated above, different strokes.

I've had some professors mention this to me, personally I would lean more towards GSPIA and I don't think it's criticism of either school, it really depends on your research interests and what kind of setting you prefer. 

13 hours ago, DefeatistElitist said:

I should clarify that I wasn't being critical of your preference towards NPSIA, but merely questioning how you were able to categorize/differentiate the two schools in your original statement. I suppose these are the nuances of each respective program that neither of the schools openly promote. As someone mentioned earlier, to each their own! 

Who here can tell me what is wrong with this paragraph:

The Graduate School of Pubic and International Affairs is the best place for me to pursue these areas of interest through a unique combination of academic and professional development. The academic course of study offered through the international affairs concentration is particularly well-suited to my strengths and interests and to my educational and career objectives. Elective seminars in this chosen area of specialization combined with foundational coursework in the formulation of public policy and the conduct of international affairs will prepare me with the spectrum of knowledge and skills that I need to take my career direction into ...

I am wondering how many - if any - of you had to read this over more than once before finding the ridiculously comical mistake, and if any of you have any thoughts as to how serious this is and if I should call in and ask about sending in a revised copy? Seriously having a heart attack over here. 4 profs who proofread this letter missed this mistake, not to mention me who must have read it 50 times. It took my Aunt who has never even touched a keyboard before to spot it and wait until a day after I had submitted it to get back to me.  

7 minutes ago, mchutchi said:

Who here can tell me what is wrong with this paragraph:

The Graduate School of Pubic and International Affairs is the best place for me to pursue these areas of interest through a unique combination of academic and professional development. The academic course of study offered through the international affairs concentration is particularly well-suited to my strengths and interests and to my educational and career objectives. Elective seminars in this chosen area of specialization combined with foundational coursework in the formulation of public policy and the conduct of international affairs will prepare me with the spectrum of knowledge and skills that I need to take my career direction into ...

I am wondering how many - if any - of you had to read this over more than once before finding the ridiculously comical mistake, and if any of you have any thoughts as to how serious this is and if I should call in and ask about sending in a revised copy? Seriously having a heart attack over here. 4 profs who proofread this letter missed this mistake, not to mention me who must have read it 50 times. It took my Aunt who has never even touched a keyboard before to spot it and wait until a day after I had submitted it to get back to me.  

I had to read it twice to catch it, but only because you pointed it out and I was actively looking for a mistake.