When I first read it, I skimmed the first few words because I knew you put the school's name. But I reread it trying to find the mistake and found it. Honestly if your profs couldn't find it, I'm sure whoever is looking at your app won't either. They probably have read hundreds of applications and skimmed the 'Graduate School of...' part. Hopefully. 

8 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

*When you get anxious about possibly not getting into any master's that you start looking up college post-grad programs* hahaha the waiting is seriously killing me!!

Same here! Also, my fiancé just got accepted into the biomedical engineering program at U of T today, so now there is even more pressure haha (their application deadline isn't even up). The sciences don't mess around! 

3 minutes ago, Duplified said:

Same here! Also, my fiancé just got accepted into the biomedical engineering program at U of T today, so now there is even more pressure haha (their application deadline isn't even up). The sciences don't mess around! 

Wow that's awesome - congrats to him!! Are you hoping to go to Munk then?

Yeah I applied to Munk and the School of Public Policy and Governance at U of T. SPPG is my first choice because my thesis supervisor used to supervise the director there and I had a fantastic experience when I visited the school because of the connection. Also, their focus aligns more with mine as I have spent a few summers in domestic intergovernmental affairs and would like to wind up there in the long run.

Carleton is both of our backups, but I would really love to end up in Toronto. I am crossing my fingers but its going to be a long wait haha. We didn't expect that she would hear back from IBBME for a while, but yesterday they moved her application into "decision made" and it was a pretty big shock. She is also waiting to hear back from the Dalla Lana School for Epidemiology but that wont be for a while most likely. 

8 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

FML just realized in my letter of intent I put "GPSIA not GSPIA" - do you think I could revise and send them a new copy of the letter?

Was in in the actual letter or just the file name? If the deadline has passed, personally I wouldn't. They would most likely skip it just like with the earlier letter someone had. They will be reading hundreds of these and they would probably be very used to the acronym from being in the program as well. However, if you do feel like you want to revise I would probably talk to the administrator as you wouldn't want to raise the mistake to the attention of the admissions committee. 

10 minutes ago, Duplified said:

Was in in the actual letter or just the file name? If the deadline has passed, personally I wouldn't. They would most likely skip it just like with the earlier letter someone had. They will be reading hundreds of these and they would probably be very used to the acronym from being in the program as well. However, if you do feel like you want to revise I would probably talk to the administrator as you wouldn't want to raise the mistake to the attention of the admissions committee. 

I referenced it a couple of times in the letter. URG so frustrating. 

I would talk to the administrator and see if you are allowed? But I wouldn't push it too far? If I was a betting person though I would say it is definitely more likely that they will miss the error than catch it. 

5 minutes ago, Duplified said:

I would talk to the administrator and see if you are allowed? But I wouldn't push it too far? If I was a betting person though I would say it is definitely more likely that they will miss the error than catch it. 

I mean skimming over it, its hard to tell the difference I find. I'm wondering if I could just tell the administrator, I actually submitted the wrong version? And not even mention the error. 

15 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

I mean skimming over it, its hard to tell the difference I find. I'm wondering if I could just tell the administrator, I actually submitted the wrong version? And not even mention the error. 

I would give it a shot! They may say no but then again they may not! There is no harm in asking (in my opinion)? 

2 hours ago, Hopeful2017 said:

FML just realized in my letter of intent I put "GPSIA not GSPIA" - do you think I could revise and send them a new copy of the letter?

That's minor league stuff. Don't sweat it. I wrote the "Graduate School of *Pubic* and International Affairs." Now the entirety of my letter is tainted with the mental sharpness of some pretentious pervert. 

Edited by mchutchi

3 minutes ago, mchutchi said:

That's minor league stuff. Don't sweat it. I wrote the "Graduate School of *Pubic* and International Affairs." Now the entirety of my letter is tainted with the mental sharpness of some pretentious pervert. 

A competitive GPA, publications, conferences, and humanitarian work overseas doesn't count for anything when you state that a school of PUBIC affairs is the best place for you to pursue your interests 

On 1/27/2017 at 4:27 PM, JV-K said:

Anyone else applied for GPSIA or another UOttawa Masters and still doesn't have all their mailed-in docs checked off, despite having mailed them in weeks ago? My mailed-in transcripts should have arrived in mid-December, but uoZone still hasn't confirmed receipt. I have called them several times and they said they still haven't opened all mail from December. They said to call back on January 31, but if they didn't receive them, it'd be too late to order new ones and mail them (especially since I live abroad, so it will take a few days for even the quickest mail option to arrive there)! UOttawa's system is seriously frustrating!!!

Hi, I am an international student as well. Not only did my professors face a problem with the reference portal but the GSPIA staff has failed to add my mailed documents to my file. I am so bugged, they are damn slow. I have been emailing them like crazy person literally everyday- no response. 

Hi fellow applicants, I applied to NPSIA, MUNK and GSPIA. My application to MUNK is under review. And GSPIA is my top choice but their uploading process is damn slow, I am worried my application wont be assessed. As for NPSIA it says "preliminary review" which is driving me crazy since I completed this application in DEC. Also I got accepted in UCL for international public policy, I would really appreciate your insights on the UCL acceptance. Has anyone called GSPIA? Last time I spoke to them the lady said "they were behind on uploading the material". 

2 hours ago, Nupur11 said:

Hi, I am an international student as well. Not only did my professors face a problem with the reference portal but the GSPIA staff has failed to add my mailed documents to my file. I am so bugged, they are damn slow. I have been emailing them like crazy person literally everyday- no response. 

1 hour ago, Nupur11 said:

Hi fellow applicants, I applied to NPSIA, MUNK and GSPIA. My application to MUNK is under review. And GSPIA is my top choice but their uploading process is damn slow, I am worried my application wont be assessed. As for NPSIA it says "preliminary review" which is driving me crazy since I completed this application in DEC. Also I got accepted in UCL for international public policy, I would really appreciate your insights on the UCL acceptance. Has anyone called GSPIA? Last time I spoke to them the lady said "they were behind on uploading the material". 

I would recommend calling GSPIA today or tomorrow, rather than emailing them. They don't respond or take ages to respond to email, but finally, yesterday, there was someone who was actually helpful on the phone (i.e. said more than just 'call back in 2 weeks, we're behind'). She took the student number and said she'd check, and several of the documents (although still not all) are now updated on the online file. About time - they arrived December 16! I think they're finally getting to a point where the number of envelopes they have is not a small mountain, so they can actually give individual help over the phone (although you may still have to call numerous times before they pick up).

1 hour ago, JV-K said:

I would recommend calling GSPIA today or tomorrow, rather than emailing them. They don't respond or take ages to respond to email, but finally, yesterday, there was someone who was actually helpful on the phone (i.e. said more than just 'call back in 2 weeks, we're behind'). She took the student number and said she'd check, and several of the documents (although still not all) are now updated on the online file. About time - they arrived December 16! I think they're finally getting to a point where the number of envelopes they have is not a small mountain, so they can actually give individual help over the phone (although you may still have to call numerous times before they pick up).

Thank you for the info, I will call them again today for the follow-up. Has anyone applied to the GRADUATE INSTITUTE as well?

16 hours ago, mchutchi said:

Who here can tell me what is wrong with this paragraph:

The Graduate School of Pubic and International Affairs is the best place for me to pursue these areas of interest through a unique combination of academic and professional development. The academic course of study offered through the international affairs concentration is particularly well-suited to my strengths and interests and to my educational and career objectives. Elective seminars in this chosen area of specialization combined with foundational coursework in the formulation of public policy and the conduct of international affairs will prepare me with the spectrum of knowledge and skills that I need to take my career direction into ...

I am wondering how many - if any - of you had to read this over more than once before finding the ridiculously comical mistake, and if any of you have any thoughts as to how serious this is and if I should call in and ask about sending in a revised copy? Seriously having a heart attack over here. 4 profs who proofread this letter missed this mistake, not to mention me who must have read it 50 times. It took my Aunt who has never even touched a keyboard before to spot it and wait until a day after I had submitted it to get back to me.  

I wouldn't be too worried, I also made a mistake by capitalizing H in Human right :( but I was told it isn't a big deal. It took me a few reads to notice your mistake. Don't be too worried. It was obviously unintended and you do know the difference between both... 

5 hours ago, Nupur11 said:

Thank you for the info, I will call them again today for the follow-up. Has anyone applied to the GRADUATE INSTITUTE as well?

My docs for UoOttawa arrived Feb 1. I doubt they'll get to me yet. My online checklist is not ticked off at all! 

I have paid the fee for Graduate Institute but have not uploaded any docs or sent referee emails yet.

Has anyone applied to Dalhousie?

For GSPIA I emailed both my resume and my statement, they uploaded my resume on Monday but didnt my statement! I called and she said they upload them at different time, I guess they do the resumes first. So annoyed, very slow process. 

35 minutes ago, Norma955 said:

For GSPIA I emailed both my resume and my statement, they uploaded my resume on Monday but didnt my statement! I called and she said they upload them at different time, I guess they do the resumes first. So annoyed, very slow process. 

Still waiting for them to process my research description pdf for the MPA. Emailed it to them last friday, and still nothing! Plus, they still haven't gotten around to processing my transcripts. This could be a lonnnnnnnnnng wait!

2 hours ago, justajournalist said:

My docs for UoOttawa arrived Feb 1. I doubt they'll get to me yet. My online checklist is not ticked off at all! 

I have paid the fee for Graduate Institute but have not uploaded any docs or sent referee emails yet.

Has anyone applied to Dalhousie?

Hi there, I don't want to alarm you, but if you are applying to IHEID I think you should upload the docs and the LoRs. I was watching one of the webinars on their websites they suggested completing the entire process by 22nd. But then again they have their deadline on 1st March. Also thanks for the info on UOttawa, I am patiently waiting for them to complete my application.