When a 3.6 GPA feels so low. "Average" applicants unite?!

Hey guys. I am a senior at a large university who will be applying to grad schools this fall. I am in a class of 60 girls (and 1 boy, yay!) of hopeful SLP's to be. Spending all our academic time together, gossip and stat-sharing/fear mongering has run rampant. Everyone is so smart and involved--is is a great environment to learn and grow in as students--but the underlying understanding that we are all competing against each other is anxiety-provoking.

So. As a new application begins, I am beginning to wonder something... are they any other applicants with "less competitive" profiles? For myself at least, it is hard to obsessively research stats and not become discouraged as we are surrounded by equally passionate and qualified individuals whose stats are simply... better.  I guess by sharing mine, others who feel this way can share some sense of community? :)

I have a 3.56 GPA that will be a 3.6 something after this semester. A 3.6 feels like a hard place to be; when schools want to see a 3.7+, most 3.6ers seem to be wait-listed and then perhaps accepted, or perhaps not. If that. 

I have a GRE score of 154Q/158V (312) and 5.5 AW. 

Yep, I have valid research experience from 2 professors, volunteer experiences from a few different organizations, an internship (Autism nonprofit), and leadership experience (NSSLHA). But so does everyone else! 

My question is, does anyone else share these stats, and maybe have feelings of inadequacy and insecurity? Furthermore, does anyone with stats similar to mine have a grad program they got into, and really enjoy attending? 

At the very least, I hope this post stands as validation that you are not alone in the grad application process! 

You have great stats! Your GRE scores and experience make you a competitive applicant I think. I know it's easier said than done, but don't be so hard on yourself. Try to stay positive. I'm a Junior right now and will be in your shoes this time next year! 

I have lower GPA than that-- first, my college didn't normally inflate grades as is often done now.  Second, it was a few decades ago (to add to that).  And those were the four years my family decided to explode, so I was a real mess.  Luckily, I then got an unusually good transcript from a strong MBA, (mostly because I was so un-savvy about networking I slaved away on coursework), a bunch of As from part-time courses in more specifically-academic stuff, and what I hope will be a "first" or something like it in a master's in my subject in England.  

At this point, I think the real issue is bottling up my writing samples and selling a particular line of study to whomever.  Anyone who won't want my undergrad GPA to screw up their ratings will just have to deal with it.   

I'm also guessing that in your case, with SLP (more of a professional program, yes?), that they're going to be most interested in whether you'll survive the program and make them look good by being employed at the end.  Lots of ways to make that case that go beyond the transcript.  That is how I got into and out of my MBA program.

I feel you! I have 120 in my "senior cohort" and am constantly being bombarded with snapchats about GRE studying binges, perfectly organized grad school lists, etc. I love how I have a friend group to talk about the process with, but sometimes hearing about how so and so already has all of their letters of rec in doesn't feel all too great. 

My cumulative GPA is parallel to yours, but my GRE has only gone from a 299 to a 304, so I'm debating a third test. -.-

In the end- you just have to throw your hat into the ring. There are a lot of folks with lower GPA's who would love to have a 3.6. 

Your GRE scores are great and your GPA is definitely not bad. I think that one of the most important things you can do when applying is, in your personal statement and interview, stressing the experiences you have and how they relate to the SLP field. I applied with a 3.69 GPA and similar GRE scores and was accepted to almost every school I applied to (I applied in the NYC and Long Island areas). I also spent 2+ years working as a TA in a school for children with autism, and kind of made my application really reflect on my experiences there. I think that schools are definitely looking for people that not only have straight A's, but have experiences that demonstrate that they will be a valuable asset to their program and the field. Make yourself stand out and you'll do fine! 

Yes :unsure:

I can relate. I have a cumulative GPA just below a 3.7.  What's really disappointing about this is I know my last 60 GPA is over a 3.8 (I'm a transfer student, and my transfer GPA right now is a 3.84) and my CSD GPA is also above a 3.8.  I'm hoping to get straight A's this semester, because I know that will put me above the 3.7 at least, and I'm taking 12 credits of CSD so hopefully that will make my CSD GPA even higher.  I haven't taken the GRE yet but on practice ones I'm scoring in the low 150s for math and high 150s for verbal. 

I agree with a lot of what others on this thread are saying, that your experience will make you a more competitive applicant.  I think you have a fair chance of getting in this year!

I don't know the politics of this sector, but high GREs might make you attractive enough to a school that the GPA won't be an impediment by itself.  Going back to the MBA analogy, there are few expectations of perfect average GPAs among student bodies, as there will be a lot of foreigners, engineers, and others applying who wouldn't normally get 4.0s even on a good day.  But GMAT is easily digested and reported to the prestige-mongers, and is also a tolerable proxy for being able to handle the curriculum.   For both those reasons, fabulous test scores may give you a good shot of having them take the rest of your application seriously.  And it sounds as if you have your act together in a lot of important ways.

You seem quite competitive to me, especially with that GRE score to add onto your GPA! If it helps at all, I actually had lower GRE's and a lower GPA and I have been accepted! It all depends on how you display yourself in your SOP and what LOR's you get! Good luck! ^_^

3.4 checking in :/ My GRE is a 156V/157Q so I'm hoping that + my last 60 hours GPA will be enough to make up for my less than stellar cumulative GPA. I will also have a year of clinic experience by the time I graduate, which will hopefully help things. 

I would email the schools you are interested in and ask them how they rank your application. Some schools only look at cumulative GPA, while others look at your CSD GPA first. Good luck!

1 hour ago, koalalover1 said:

You seem quite competitive to me, especially with that GRE score to add onto your GPA! If it helps at all, I actually had lower GRE's and a lower GPA and I have been accepted! It all depends on how you display yourself in your SOP and what LOR's you get! Good luck! ^_^

Thank you for the encouragement! May I ask which schools you were accepted to? :) 

1 hour ago, K8eCastle said:

3.4 checking in :/ My GRE is a 156V/157Q so I'm hoping that + my last 60 hours GPA will be enough to make up for my less than stellar cumulative GPA. I will also have a year of clinic experience by the time I graduate, which will hopefully help things. 

I would email the schools you are interested in and ask them how they rank your application. Some schools only look at cumulative GPA, while others look at your CSD GPA first. Good luck!

Hey, we are in the same boat!!! With CSDCAS, my GPA will be a 3.5 something though a (likely) 4.0 in CSD. Sigh. I am wanting to attend the program in my hometown, and met with the graduate admissions rep there. She was helpful in that and she said they did consider that our overall GPA could be skewed by a "bad freshman year," (My experience!) and to just focus on improving your current overall profile rather than stress about GPA, which of course cannot be altered. We can always gain more experience, however. B)

3 hours ago, salvols said:

Thank you for the encouragement! May I ask which schools you were accepted to? :) 

Hey, we are in the same boat!!! With CSDCAS, my GPA will be a 3.5 something though a (likely) 4.0 in CSD. Sigh. I am wanting to attend the program in my hometown, and met with the graduate admissions rep there. She was helpful in that and she said they did consider that our overall GPA could be skewed by a "bad freshman year," (My experience!) and to just focus on improving your current overall profile rather than stress about GPA, which of course cannot be altered. We can always gain more experience, however. B)

I was accepted at the one I am at (Bowling Green State University)! I was waitlisted everywhere else I applied, but most of the schools I chose were unusually competitive this year. I just liked BGSU a lot and it was the one I got into! ^_^ I have been enjoying the program a lot as well! My word of advice is that if you are willing to apply to schools that are out of state or are a longer drive yet feasible, I would! Just make sure you could see yourself at the program and you will enjoy it! I also think having a higher last 60 credit GPA helps a lot (I had around a 3.85!) 

So... 2-3 years ago, I had a GPA of 3.3 and I managed to raise that to a 3.5. I've been told my GPA is "below the average", which I find frustrating considering all the hardships of coming from a low-income family.

I had pretty mediocre GRE scores because my semesters were tough and didn't invest in studying for the GRE (I think it was... V150/Q143/AW4.5)

I applied to two schools and was waitlisted at Indiana University, but was accepted to their STEPs program (I'm a Spanish native speaker) and at the moment I had a 3.4 GPA.

Right now, I'm studying for the GRE and taking prereqs because there's not much I can do about raising a 3.5 to a 4.0

The idea is to find something within Speech Path that you truly enjoy and have aptitude/experience on, then find a program that matches those skills. In my case, I'm multilingual and would probably apply mostly to bilingual/multicultural programs. They seem to be more interested in a candidate like me, considering my background.