Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

Wow, having a busy day at work, it's nice to see the conversation has been going strong today!

I am in the same camp with @krapp and @ugurcanevci on sorrowfully accepting the empty email box, no Northwestern notification... I still think it's weird that there was a rhetorical symmetry in all the statements left on the results page, but I'm not in denial, I'm scratching them off my list (would love to be proved wrong)...

Congrats to those claiming acceptances (way to go @correlatesoftheory and @VMcJ!)... and for the OSU acceptances without funding... dang. Well, hopefully that gives you at least an emotional boost to make it through the weekend.

Dreading/Excited about next week and all of the chaos.

Edited by RevTheory1126
forgot to add specific congrats

Might be grasping at straws here, but looking at the board I can't help but notice all the Northwestern notifications from 2017 are for Theory at the moment. So...maybe it's by subfield? :/

17 minutes ago, krapp said:

Might be grasping at straws here, but looking at the board I can't help but notice all the Northwestern notifications from 2017 are for Theory at the moment. So...maybe it's by subfield? :/

That was my initial thought, but somebody here also confirmed an American Politics acceptance the same day. 

Edited by ugurcanevci

3 minutes ago, jackjack09 said:

Has anyone accepted at UW-Madison recieved an acceptance from the DGS or just faculty? It seems like only IR people have received acceptances.

Mine was from the IR subfield chair for this cycle's admissions committee. 

19 minutes ago, jackjack09 said:

Has anyone accepted at UW-Madison recieved an acceptance from the DGS or just faculty? It seems like only IR people have received acceptances.

No, just faculty (theory). My portal status just changed today, too. So I would expect emails soon, I guess. 

2 hours ago, krapp said:

Yeah I noticed that...and that's my subfield, and I did see the AP claim in our thread, but it seems like less buzz than in years past... There may be more (nontheory) to come!

I wouldn't be surprised if less people applied to NW this year considering the rumors of infighting and dysfunction. I know that's why I didn't apply there (and because it's too qualitative).

Edited by Comparativist

NW has a few good people in areas I'm interested in, and I'm definitely more qual than quant. Overall I think it would be a good fit for me (unless the dysfunction really is terrible, but I've managed some extremely hostile workplaces before so I doubt it could be anywhere near the worst I've seen). IR subfield, so holding out some hope still...

8 minutes ago, Comparativist said:

I wouldn't be surprised if less people applied to NW this year considering the rumors of infighting and dysfunction. I know that's why I didn't apply there (and because it's too qualitative).

I haven't heard any of these rumors, could you please tell a little bit or send a link? 

20 minutes ago, Comparativist said:

No rumors about it, it was very public, very disturbing for current/potential students. I applied knowing I would need to ask lots of questions if accepted. However, if it were the case that folk were scared off, it seems even more odd that 3 of the 4 noted acceptances from NW would be in theory (conflict was primarily between two theorists)...? Obviously not all acceptances get noted here, but it does raise some questions for me...

Also check out links shared in another thread on NW controversy...

Edited by RevTheory1126

Hi all, 

Hope the best luck for all.

For those who are accepted (via email, from the website, from POI etc..) at OSU, has anyone heard about funding?

I am wondering whether "no word on funding" is only for international students or not.

Is there any American nationals who have heard about funding from OSU?

Virtually, an acceptance without funding is a rejection, I think.

7 minutes ago, dododo said:

Normally yes, and for me certainly. But several applicants have already secured funding from public or private scholarships before even applying. Most people I know in Brazil that went overseas to study went on public funding. Usually it pays tuition, healthcare and a small stipend for Ph.D. students. Since 2015 those opportunities have mostly disappeared, of course, due to financial constraints.

5 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

Normally yes, and for me certainly. But several applicants have already secured funding from public or private scholarships before even applying. Most people I know in Brazil that went overseas to study went on public funding. Usually it pays tuition, healthcare and a small stipend for Ph.D. students. Since 2015 those opportunities have mostly disappeared, of course, due to financial constraints.

Wow. Okay. If a country offers that kind of opportunities, that is very fortunate. 

So, is there anyone who has heard about funding from OSU? 

That is my big question.

52 minutes ago, dododo said:

Hi all, 

Hope the best luck for all.

For those who are accepted (via email, from the website, from POI etc..) at OSU, has anyone heard about funding?

I am wondering whether "no word on funding" is only for international students or not.

Is there any American nationals who have heard about funding from OSU?

Hi @dododo — American national here. Haven't had any official word on funding from OSU. From one of my POIs that contacted me: "... funding decisions are made separately outside the department, but everyone gets at least 5 years of tuition and living expenses in some form, so this shouldn't be a problem. Not sure how long before you'll hear about the outcome of that process (Bear would know)..." I will likely e-mail Professor Braumoeller early in the week next week to see if he might be able to give a timeline. Recruitment weekend isn't until the end of March, so hopefully we'll know before then...

EDIT: This does contradict something that somebody said earlier insofar as OSU giving out unfunded acceptances... I don't know if that is actually true or not.

Edited by tkid86

Thanks for the reply. I see. I'll just wait then.

I think when you look up the last year result, there is a post that a person received an admission and waitlisted for funding from OSU. And it seems that he/she ended up not getting funding according to the post. 

That is a sad story. I cried a bit.

Thanks again!

Edited by dododo

@tkid86 and @dododo - I was admitted to OSU last year. Got the acceptance in January, got the funding in March. It's totally normal for them, but I know of no other schools that do that. At my visit, I met a couple people who did not get funding, so it does actually happen, be aware. Also, per last year's waitlist, they ended up getting a much higher number of students matriculating than they expected, so it's not surprising that someone off the waitlist would be lacking funding. I would say last year was an exceptional case, but be aware that they do give out unfunded offers. It's a great school, so good luck!

Edited by PizzaCat93

3 hours ago, PizzaCat93 said:

@tkid86 and @dododo - I was admitted to OSU last year. Got the acceptance in January, got the funding in March. It's totally normal for them, but I know of no other schools that do that. At my visit, I met a couple people who did not get funding, so it does actually happen, be aware. Also, per last year's waitlist, they ended up getting a much higher number of students matriculating than they expected, so it's not surprising that someone off the waitlist would be lacking funding. I would say last year was an exceptional case, but be aware that they do give out unfunded offers. It's a great school, so good luck!

Thanks for the information! Are you at OSU now?