Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

3 minutes ago, Gik said:

hm, I'm worried now. I thought I was supposed to send official undergrad transcripts just if I were accepted. Did I get that wrong?

I didn't apply but most schools request official transcripts once you've been admitted. 

5 minutes ago, resDQ said:

Stanford said official. However, they would accept unofficial transcripts for review purposes. If you are accepted, then you really must send in official ones. If you did not get an email from the grad secretary, do not worry about it.

Oh, thanks, that was what I'd thought

Edited by Gik
typo

Did anyone apply to Emory? I just received an email from DGS says that the decision will be made next week. I'm also invited to a skype talk with the faculty, did anyone know what it is? Is it an interview or something else? The email says that "I am writing to see whether you will be able to speak with our faculty via Skype. We are unable to fly you to campus from XXX for our visitation weekend, but we are hopeful that you might be interested in talking to us a bit about our program." I can even choose the faculty I'd like to talk with.

3 hours ago, Jimjimjim said:

Did anyone apply to Emory? I just received an email from DGS says that the decision will be made next week. I'm also invited to a skype talk with the faculty, did anyone know what it is? Is it an interview or something else? The email says that "I am writing to see whether you will be able to speak with our faculty via Skype. We are unable to fly you to campus from XXX for our visitation weekend, but we are hopeful that you might be interested in talking to us a bit about our program." I can even choose the faculty I'd like to talk with.

That sounds promising. 

3 hours ago, Jimjimjim said:

It's an affirmative response. I received a rejection email on Jan 17 from Laney Graduate School. I find it strange though that rejections are sent out earlier than admittances. Best of luck  with the rest of process!

6 hours ago, swanblack said:

It's an affirmative response. I received a rejection email on Jan 17 from Laney Graduate School. I find it strange though that rejections are sent out earlier than admittances. Best of luck  with the rest of process!

They are one of the schools that interviews applicants (GWU style). 

1 hour ago, RevTheory1126 said:

Oh and @Kenga, that is absolutely true, and I am the weakest of all ;)

Knowing yourself is important.

As Sun Tzu said:
“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.
If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat.
If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

If the rest of my programs release decisions on approximately the same date as last cycle, then it's really next week that I have to worry about... Not sure if that makes me more or less anxious. That being said, my worst case scenario outcome has changed from "wait another year and spend a lot more money on applications" to "attend a good program in a beautiful city with great weather," so I think I've officially lost my complaining privileges this cycle.

7 minutes ago, dagnabbit said:

my worst case scenario outcome has changed from "wait another year and spend a lot more money on applications" to "attend a good program in a beautiful city with great weather," so I think I've officially lost my complaining privileges this cycle.

I think you're right. Especially since you have already been accepted into a good program - so why would you wait? On the off-chance that an even better program might except you? Not really worth it, I think. 

16 minutes ago, dagnabbit said:

If the rest of my programs release decisions on approximately the same date as last cycle, then it's really next week that I have to worry about... Not sure if that makes me more or less anxious. That being said, my worst case scenario outcome has changed from "wait another year and spend a lot more money on applications" to "attend a good program in a beautiful city with great weather," so I think I've officially lost my complaining privileges this cycle.

Ditto.

My anxiety shifted from "OMG what if I have to try again next cycle" to "I need all responses NOW so I can choose and definitely know where I'm going".

You see, anxiety is always a constant. :lol: 

18 minutes ago, Kenga said:

I think you're right. Especially since you have already been accepted into a good program - so why would you wait? On the off-chance that an even better program might except you? Not really worth it, I think. 

It is ALWAYS worth it to wait to see all your options.

44 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

Ditto.

My anxiety shifted from "OMG what if I have to try again next cycle" to "I need all responses NOW so I can choose and definitely know where I'm going".

You see, anxiety is always a constant. :lol: 

Same. It was wonderful to hear back from a good program with an acceptance, so I know that this grad school thing can actually happen. Now I just have to patiently wait and try to figure out where I am actually going. 

53 minutes ago, Comparativist said:

It is ALWAYS worth it to wait to see all your options.

It is, but I am advising against forgoing certain admission in a good program for the chance of getting into a better program next year. Because who says you are going to get in? Who even says you get in the same program twice? So, forgoing an acceptance for a good program this year for the chance(!!!) of getting in a better (?!) program next year, is - at least in my book, not worth it.

2 minutes ago, ugurcanevci said:

There is a Princeton post, but seems like a troll. Anybody to claim?

think it is a troll.

NYU and Princeton Trolls: I hate you.

17 minutes ago, ugurcanevci said:

There is a Princeton and an NYU post, but seem like a troll. Anybody to claim?

As far as I know, Princeton does not send out their acceptances for about another week.

Hence, 

14479916.jpg

Edited by Kenga