Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

6 minutes ago, moonwalkmafia said:

I suspect this is it for Princeton. I've counted 5 admittances, and schools normally only accept about 10-12 students into their incoming classes. Odds are the other five or seven are lurkers or aren't aware of this forum. 

Good luck to everyone else!

They accept more than that, that's usually the incoming cohort (among the smaller sized cohorts/programs - which Princeton isn't), they accept probably double that. Some of the bigger programs accept around 40-60.

Edited by Comparativist

3 minutes ago, moonwalkmafia said:

I suspect this is it for Princeton. I've counted 5 admittances, and schools normally only accept about 10-12 students into their incoming classes. Odds are the other five or seven are lurkers or aren't aware of this forum. 

Good luck to everyone else!

No idea where you got those numbers from, but they are wrong. I'm sure the smaller programs are around that number. Princeton does not have a small program. I would say that 5-7 per subfield is about normal. This varies year to year. 

3 minutes ago, Monody said:

So what about the possibility that they notified AP, CP, and theory so far and DGP is currently having a break?

Quite realistic. I saw the DGS in the coffee room today (current Princeton student here). Cohorts are usually between 20-25 people here, with admits around 30-35 (could be higher? not sure). 

Honestly, no point in speculating at this point. The number of acceptances on the results page/here is low but there could be a number of reasons for this: 1) lower numbers of users this cycle on this forum, 2) people haven't posted yet or realized they were accepted.

There could be more acceptances to come today. That might be it as well. Last year all acceptances went out in a day. Past cycles they were scattered.

Who knows at this point, but I would wager if no one else hears by the end of today...there will be rejections over the next couple of days.

39 minutes ago, waterloo715 said:

I am in the same boat. Mine says unchanged as well. Trying to stay in the mindset that unchanged means unchanged and no news means no news, all in an effort to maintain my sanity. 

He's still emailing, it could be late afternoon before Princeton DGS finishes with the emails. But given the pace he has, I assume he'll be faster.

10 minutes ago, Kenga said:

He's still emailing, it could be late afternoon before Princeton DGS finishes with the emails. But given the pace he has, I assume he'll be faster.

How are you privy to this information? You also said yesterday that Princeton wouldn't drop for another week so forgive me for being skeptical. 

4 minutes ago, Comparativist said:

How are you privy to this information? You also said yesterday that Princeton wouldn't drop for another week so forgive me for being skeptical. 

I have somebody on the inside (well, in the department as a student). Yesterday's comment was based on previous years and made a "most likely" scenario based on that.That definitely entailed not to hear from Princeton for about a week. 

32 minutes ago, krapp said:

Huge congrats to everyone who got positive news today! I'm starting to feel pretty lonely here, might have to make a support group for those of us still waiting on that first offer :/

I feel you. 

This has already been discussed in this thread, but I just wanted to kindly suggest again that, when submitting admission results to the database, please be sure to include information that will actually be useful to others, both now and (especially) in the future. This information includes your GPA, GRE scores, and any other relevant details that could influence admission decisions (career experience, research or teaching experience, advanced formal training, etc.).

Other information, such as "1a/0w/0r/9?" or "whatever, didn't really want to attend program X anyway" is okay to share, but isn't at all useful to others in and of itself.

Also, another friendly suggestion is that, for those accepted, please add your funding information to the phd stipends website once you get your offer!

Congratulations to everyone accepted thus far.

Edited by weathered_behavioralist

11 minutes ago, weathered_behavioralist said:

This has already been discussed in this thread, but I just wanted to kindly suggest again that, when submitting admission results to the database, please be sure to include information that will actually be useful to others, both now and (especially) in the future. This information includes your GPA, GRE scores, and any other relevant details that could influence admission decisions (career experience, research or teaching experience, advanced formal training, etc.).

Other information, such as "1a/0w/0r/9?" or "whatever, didn't really want to attend program X anyway" is okay to share, but isn't at all useful to others in and of itself.

Also, another friendly suggestion is that, for those accepted, please add your funding information to the phd stipends website once you get your offer!

Congratulations to everyone accepted thus far.

I think most important will be posting in the Results Profile thread that somebody will likely take the initiative to create soon. That has a lot more space for quite a bit more information, advice, etc. It allows better contextualization of stats rather than solely just the GPA/GRE info.

7 minutes ago, Kenga said:

All princeton emails are sent. If you havent heard from the DGS yet, you and I share the same fate. Sorry!

Yeah I'm going to take Princeton as a rejection. Oh well. Can't win them all, plus it wasn't a very good fit! 

2 minutes ago, correlatesoftheory said:

Yeah I'm going to take Princeton as a rejection. Oh well. Can't win them all, plus it wasn't a very good fit! 

Yeah, that's the spirit ... I would have preferred an acceptance though ... ;) 

So, I suspect my lower verbal score is just killing my applications. Any school or professor I talked stated that lower verbal scores are not that much of a problem for international students. My V score is 157, Q 165, AW 5, and the mentioned people I talked to stated that it would be enough in terms of GRE requirements. However, looking at the admissions page, I only see very high verbal scores. So, I can't stop thinking four rejections so far are related to my lower verbal score, even if I was ensured that it wouldn't cause so. All other materials that I've submitted have been reviewed twice by 3 professors at NYU, so I just feel like I should have had something. Now, I am quite pessimistic for the future. 

Edit: My subfield is comparative

Edited by ugurcanevci

35 minutes ago, ugurcanevci said:

So, I suspect my lower verbal score is just killing my applications. Any school or professor I talked stated that lower verbal scores are not that much of a problem for international students. My V score is 157, Q 165, AW 5, and the mentioned people I talked to stated that it would be enough in terms of GRE requirements. However, looking at the admissions page, I only see very high verbal scores. So, I can't stop thinking four rejections so far are related to my lower verbal score, even if I was ensured that it wouldn't cause so. All other materials that I've submitted have been reviewed twice by 3 professors at NYU, so I just feel like I should have had something. Now, I am quite pessimistic for the future. 

Edit: My subfield is comparative

Impossible to know for sure. I definitely would not dismiss any file solely due to GRE verbal score, unless they were really really poor (yours is not). But I am not a member of adcoms.

FWIW, there's always a level of randomness to the process. Maybe you're going to get only good news from now on. No need to get desperate now!

Edited by VMcJ

3 minutes ago, correlatesoftheory said:

Has anyone else gotten an email from a POI at Chapel Hill requesting to discuss their application? 

I did not. Not yet, at least. I am hoping for good news from UNC, it's a very good fit for me.

3 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

Impossible to know for sure. I definitely would not dismiss any file due to GRE verbal score, unless they were really really poor (yours is not). But I am not a member of adcoms.

FWIW, there's always a level of randomness to the process. Maybe you're going to get only good news from now on. No need to get desperate now!

Thanks for the relieving answer :) Let's see what the next week is going to show