Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

Nothing from Princeton on my end, so probably rejection. But everyone else who didn't get accepted, no worries! I hear if you get rejected from Princeton on three different occasions, you get a free ice cream cone at Queen of Dairy! Just waiting for official letter to collect my frozen bingo treat.

putin_ice_cream.jpg?w=460

1 hour ago, correlatesoftheory said:

Has anyone else gotten an email from a POI at Chapel Hill requesting to discuss their application? 

Not yet but hopeful. Has anyone gone through the "application discussion" experience before? If so, thoughts on what to expect?

5 minutes ago, robusterror said:

Not yet but hopeful. Has anyone gone through the "application discussion" experience before? If so, thoughts on what to expect?

I did with Ohio State. I'm about to discuss the program at Madison with a POI tonight. The OSU discussion was pleasant; he asked specific questions about my writing sample and why I wanted to go into academia. I'm sure these discussions vary from program to program. 

5 minutes ago, correlatesoftheory said:

I did with Ohio State. I'm about to discuss the program at Madison with a POI tonight. The OSU discussion was pleasant; he asked specific questions about my writing sample and why I wanted to go into academia. I'm sure these discussions vary from program to program. 

Thanks! Understand it will vary, just curious how deep they like to go. I figure at that point you have made it to the "maybe" pile and they are trying to whittle it down to the lucky few. Good luck with your discussion tonight!

1 hour ago, Shirtless Putin's Horse said:

Nothing from Princeton on my end, so probably rejection. But everyone else who didn't get accepted, no worries! I hear if you get rejected from Princeton on three different occasions, you get a free ice cream cone at Queen of Dairy! Just waiting for official letter to collect my frozen bingo treat.

putin_ice_cream.jpg?w=460

I'm really enjoying all this

1 hour ago, GradNYC said:

Someone on the results page emailed Princeton and informal acceptances went out today...

+1, got a waitlist e-mail from them this afternoon.

33 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Just got an email acceptance from the adcom chair at Berkeley!

+1, just got an e-mail acceptance as well! Congrats to both of us!

25 minutes ago, oakeshott said:

@zapatos was your e-mail from POI? DGS? 

E-mail was phrased "chair of the admissions committee" [emphasis mine], looked at his faculty page and he isn't the DGS. In my case he is a POI but I get the impression from the wording that he chairs the committee that reviewed all applications.

1/8. 1/8. 0/8. so far! (using oakesott's signature notation, which I really like)

Edited by AsymptoticallyUnbiased

I got my Berkeley admittance email 40 minutes ago but just saw it now! Sat down to practice piano, and it finally came in. A watched pot never boils, right? 

The email came from the admissions committee chair. I only applied to Cal and Stanford (committed to staying the Bay area for now), so this is especially exciting news. Good luck to those of you still waiting for word! 

Some stats, in case they're useful: I had a 3.96 undergrad GPA, a similar master's GPA (can't remember off the top of my head), and the following GRE scores: 162 Q, 170 V, 5.5 AW.

18 minutes ago, Judy said:

Does anyone also have a problem accessing the Duke decision letter link after logging into their unlink account? I literally could see nearly nothing on my welcome page.

Didn't realize Duke was out. Was this an automated email for the portal or from someone in the department?

18 minutes ago, Judy said:

Does anyone also have a problem accessing the Duke decision letter link after logging into their unlink account? I literally could see nearly nothing on my welcome page.

You got a response from Duke? 

16 minutes ago, Bibica said:

Didn't realize Duke was out. Was this an automated email for the portal or from someone in the department?

16 minutes ago, Kenga said:

You got a response from Duke? 

I just checked my Duke account. No notifications for anything. Either they haven't sent anything out or I was rejected...

10 minutes ago, correlatesoftheory said:

I just checked my Duke account. No notifications for anything. Either they haven't sent anything out or I was rejected...

Same here.