Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

4 minutes ago, Kenga said:

Talked to my supervisor. 
Supervisor: "You just have to be patient. It will all work out."
Me: "Yes."
Other Me: "I WANT RESULTS!!! I NEED TO KNOW!!!!! NOW!!!!!" 

How many are you still waiting for? For me it's still 6 to go but I feel awful since the Princeton rejection yesterday.

3 minutes ago, Monody said:

How many are you still waiting for? For me it's still 6 to go but I feel awful since the Princeton rejection yesterday.

Waiting for 9. Anxious, but spending my time researching once more programs that accepted me.

2 minutes ago, Monody said:

I have to wait for another 11. However, I expect rejections from 7 of those. The others are toss-ups, at least in my book.
Princeton was on my list but not a really good fit. Having somebody on the inside, and therefore "knowing" how far Princeton was in its adcom meetings helped. I would have preferred an acceptance though :/ 

I have four more.  Two rejections so far.  I though I would get OSU, so that rejection stung.  Princeton was expected.  I have three reach schools still out (2 may respond this week).  And if not, there is George Mason, which should be a very safe acceptance. 

I have 10 more, only have the Northwestern rejection in so far, which is taking me down a pessimistic pathway... I am expecting to hear from potentially 4 this week, and if there aren't any acceptances, it's not looking good for me. But who knows? We'll see. 

8 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

Waiting for 9. Anxious, but spending my time researching once more programs that accepted me.

Your would be advisor(s')'s track record of placing students is just about the only thing that matters if you want to be in the academy.

Also, I share your sentiments re: Princeton, @Kenga

- a current PhD student seeking to transfer elsewhere.

Edited by weathered_behavioralist

Ive to say I really am crossing my fingers that I get at least one acceptance. All the time, I think about all the potential weaknesses of my applications and I get a little shock every time I get a new email. :(

2 minutes ago, weathered_behavioralist said:

Your would be advisor(s')'s track record of placing students is just about the only thing that matters if you want to be in the academy.

I may not pursue an academic career, although it is my standard course of action. I want to keep as many options open as possible right now.

I only applied to four schools (which in hindsight wasn't an excellent choice) and I'm waiting on three. Having an acceptance makes waiting easier, but the other three are definitely keeping me anxious. 

16 minutes ago, Monody said:

I'm waiting for other 12. Actually I didn't receive any e-mails from UCLA, Princeton and Berkeley, but I'm counting them as rejections. I really thought I had a chance at Berkeley (one of my dream schools); now, as I'm already feeling kinda devastated, perhaps I'll need to start preparing for another cycle ...

6 hours ago, VMcJ said:

Does someone claim that UNC acceptance? At least it's IR and not Comparative...

I claim one of the UNC acceptance (IR). I will offer up more later but for what it's worth, this is my second cycle. Two years ago I was pretty devastated watching the rejections roll in. There is no clear path but I will share that in my last rejection previously I was offered a two-year MA program. I didn't think much of it and then it followed up with full-funding. I spent that last year and half improving my quantitative background, gaining research and TA experience and developing relations with faculty members. Two years is a long time before giving up another five to six years of your life. I hope no one needs to make that decision but I can say it is a viable means to an end if this is truly what you want. 

3 minutes ago, Mike_Novick said:

I'm waiting for other 12. Actually I didn't receive any e-mails from UCLA, Princeton and Berkeley, but I'm counting them as rejections. I really thought I had a chance at Berkeley (one of my dream schools); now, as I'm already feeling kinda devastated, perhaps I'll need to start preparing for another cycle ...

I'm not counting Berkeley as a rejection - yet. I simply do not have enough information to do that. They still may reach out today (but that may take them another couple of hours). So far, only Northwestern and Princeton are rejections in my book.

3 minutes ago, robusterror said:

I claim one of the UNC acceptance (IR). I will offer up more later but for what it's worth, this is my second cycle. Two years ago I was pretty devastated watching the rejections roll in. There is no clear path but I will share that in my last rejection previously I was offered a two-year MA program. I didn't think much of it and then it followed up with full-funding. I spent that last year and half improving my quantitative background, gaining research and TA experience and developing relations with faculty members. Two years is a long time before giving up another five to six years of your life. I hope no one needs to make that decision but I can say it is a viable means to an end if this is truly what you want. 

Congratulations! And I second your point. Last cycle I tried without success, but I worked to improve my profile this year and it worked really well.

Waiting for 10 more, but only 2 or 3 are places where I hope for good news. No acceptances yet; only a waitlist at GWU, which was very disappointing because the fit was great, IMO. Trying to avoid the worst case scenario mindset, but it is lurking in the background. 

14 minutes ago, robusterror said:

UNC has been a bit weird...a few that trickle in but no major wave.

For those who said they were rejected from Northwestern: did you get a rejection email/is it reflected in your online application's activity page? I applied with a theory subfield and didn't get any email. Not sure if that means there's still hope, or that I should consider that a rejection. 

33 minutes ago, Kenga said:

I'm not counting Berkeley as a rejection - yet. I simply do not have enough information to do that. They still may reach out today (but that may take them another couple of hours). So far, only Northwestern and Princeton are rejections in my book.

I really, really, really hope you're right about Berkeley, but I am skeptical. :(