Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

19 minutes ago, jge said:

UCSD sent out a couple of rejections, what does it mean if you haven't received any kind of status update? As far as I know IR people have gotten cut, but theres no indication of other sub-fields. I am an Americanist, so I am trying to figure out what this all means. Did the IR pile get sorted through first, or are they down to a smaller cut of people? I thought these schools send their decisions together...

It's useless to ponder these things...either you get an acceptance email or you don't.

18 minutes ago, jge said:

UCSD sent out a couple of rejections, what does it mean if you haven't received any kind of status update? As far as I know IR people have gotten cut, but theres no indication of other sub-fields. I am an Americanist, so I am trying to figure out what this all means. Did the IR pile get sorted through first, or are they down to a smaller cut of people? I thought these schools send their decisions together...

From the results page, it could potentially mean that acceptances will be out tomorrow (or soonish) and all UCSD decisions will be out or a 2014 cycle patten will be followed (rejections sent, then acceptances, then more rejections). 

Got an email from UCSD telling me to check my application status on their website, but it still indicates Under Review as my status. I'm confused. Maybe I should email them?

6 minutes ago, Gik said:

Got an email from UCSD telling me to check my application status on their website, but it still indicates Under Review as my status. I'm confused. Maybe I should email them?

Try going to the 'messaging' tab, and you'll see a letter over there.

5 minutes ago, Gik said:

Check the "messaging" button at the right end of the table. Mine still says "Under review", but when I go to the Messages section there is one message from them informing my rejection.

9 minutes ago, globetrotter126 said:

Try going to the 'messaging' tab, and you'll see a letter over there.

9 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

Check the "messaging" button at the right end of the table. Mine still says "Under review", but when I go to the Messages section there is one message from them informing my rejection.

Thanks! I was checking it using my phone, so no message appeared. I had to use my computer for that. Anyway, I was rejected (and told to apply for their Master of International Affairs program, though I guess that might be just a standard answer). I was expecting this, but it still stings :/ 

27 minutes ago, Monody said:

Is there any time during the day during which responses can be expected? 

I don't know.. i'm assuming with rejections being posted online possibly late at night... 

How should I feel when I get to know that another group of scholars has nearly completed a dataset on which Ive been working on for the last 4 weeks? Should I be cheerful that I got to know it before I spend another 60 hours on it or should I feel as sad as I am now? I hope that I do not get a rejection today as well. Bad signs...

To everybody who got rejected from UCSD: stay strong, the cycle is still long and you'll get a good program to go to.

12 minutes ago, Monody said:

How should I feel when I get to know that another group of scholars has nearly completed a dataset on which Ive been working on for the last 4 weeks? Should I be cheerful that I got to know it before I spend another 60 hours on it or should I feel as sad as I am now? I hope that I do not get a rejection today as well. Bad signs...

You should be happy that you don't have to do the work. And angry (if you planned to publish it) that they took "your" dataset idea.
Look on the bright side, you can run the regressions now and don't have to build the dataset.

2 minutes ago, Kenga said:

To everybody who got rejected from UCSD: stay strong, the cycle is still long and you'll get a good program to go to.

You should be happy that you don't have to do the work. And angry (if you planned to publish it) that they took "your" dataset idea.
Look on the bright side, you can run the regressions now and don't have to build the dataset.

Well, I wanted to publish the data and reap the citations as well as use it for other projects. Now Ive to wait for them.

4 minutes ago, Monody said:

Well, I wanted to publish the data and reap the citations as well as use it for other projects. Now Ive to wait for them.

Then yield your fist threateningly at the screen and curse those people. After that: get a headstart and work on the paper for which you created (wanted to create) the dataset. Lastly, email those people to get access to their dataset already and publish your paper.

16 minutes ago, zapatos said:

I checked last year's thread and UCSD acceptances came out around 6-8pm Eastern, after the early-morning rejections.

do you think we are done with rejections (excluding those posting results late)?

14 minutes ago, resDQ said:

do you think we are done with rejections (excluding those posting results late)?

God I hope so. But also trying not to give myself false hope. Does UCSD do waitlists?