Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

3 hours ago, PizzaCat93 said:

@tkid86 and @dododo - I was admitted to OSU last year. Got the acceptance in January, got the funding in March. It's totally normal for them, but I know of no other schools that do that. At my visit, I met a couple people who did not get funding, so it does actually happen, be aware. Also, per last year's waitlist, they ended up getting a much higher number of students matriculating than they expected, so it's not surprising that someone off the waitlist would be lacking funding. I would say last year was an exceptional case, but be aware that they do give out unfunded offers. It's a great school, so good luck!

Thanks again for the info!

5 minutes ago, Comparativist said:

Just curious, how many of your applied for their first subfield as comparative politics?

Doesn't seem like there is a lot that actively posting...

I applied for IR, mainly. Conflict studies is somewhat in between and I am more interested in conflict dynamics and less in onset covariates and such so I figured that IR may be closer.

25 minutes ago, Comparativist said:

Just curious, how many of you applied for their first subfield as comparative politics?

Doesn't seem like there is a lot that are actively posting...

IR (primary) and political theory here. It's a good thing if there are less comparativists applying this year, right? (Good for you, that is. Less competition?)

On 2017-01-27 at 0:30 PM, RevTheory1126 said:

Wow, having a busy day at work, it's nice to see the conversation has been going strong today!

I am in the same camp with @krapp and @ugurcanevci on sorrowfully accepting the empty email box, no Northwestern notification... I still think it's weird that there was a rhetorical symmetry in all the statements left on the results page, but I'm not in denial, I'm scratching them off my list (would love to be proved wrong)...

Congrats to those claiming acceptances (way to go @correlatesoftheory and @VMcJ!)... and for the OSU acceptances without funding... dang. Well, hopefully that gives you at least an emotional boost to make it through the weekend.

Dreading/Excited about next week and all of the chaos.

On 2017-01-27 at 0:42 PM, krapp said:

Might be grasping at straws here, but looking at the board I can't help but notice all the Northwestern notifications from 2017 are for Theory at the moment. So...maybe it's by subfield? :/

I thought I would post for the Northwestern applicants wanting more information. I did not post on the results board, but I did receive an email acceptance on the 25th, and I am also in the theory subfield, so the subfield theory may be correct. At first the email was my only notification, but they updated the applicant portal just yesterday to reflect the acceptance, so I'm not sure if they would have updated everyone's portal that day, or only those they had contacted, but it may be worth checking for a recent update within the past day. They have a prospective student weekend near the end of February, and mentioned that next Friday the 3rd was the last day to make arrangements with them to attend, and so I am thinking that they may have contacted everyone, because otherwise they wouldn't be giving very much notice to make plans.

40 minutes ago, hyacinthus said:

I thought I would post for the Northwestern applicants wanting more information. I did not post on the results board, but I did receive an email acceptance on the 25th, and I am also in the theory subfield, so the subfield theory may be correct. At first the email was my only notification, but they updated the applicant portal just yesterday to reflect the acceptance, so I'm not sure if they would have updated everyone's portal that day, or only those they had contacted, but it may be worth checking for a recent update within the past day. They have a prospective student weekend near the end of February, and mentioned that next Friday the 3rd was the last day to make arrangements with them to attend, and so I am thinking that they may have contacted everyone, because otherwise they wouldn't be giving very much notice to make plans.

Hi hyacinthus! Thak you for the infirmation. I also applied for Northwestern in theory but received nothing so far. My portal also has nothing updated. I assume it is rejection fro me now. Congrats!

1 hour ago, hyacinthus said:

Very helpful, thanks for the clarification @hyacinthus, and of course CONGRATS! Best luck on the rest of the process.

10 hours ago, dododo said:

Thanks for the reply. I see. I'll just wait then.

I think when you look up the last year result, there is a post that a person received an admission and waitlisted for funding from OSU. And it seems that he/she ended up not getting funding according to the post. 

That is a sad story. I cried a bit.

Thanks again!

I emailed OSU and they said funding decisions will be out end of Feb.

1 hour ago, GradNYC said:

Anyone waiting on NYU and Princeton next week?

Not me, but I'll stand right here with you! Based on last couple of years, looks like we might also expect Duke and UChicago (which I am waiting on)? Anyone? I'm with @Bibica, not ready for these rejections...

2 minutes ago, RevTheory1126 said:

Not me, but I'll stand right here with you! Based on last couple of years, looks like we might also expect Duke and UChicago (which I am waiting on)? Anyone? I'm with @Bibica, not ready for these rejections...

Good luck @RevTheory1126  and @Bibica

NYU- last year on Feb 4 and in 2015 Feb 6

Princeton- last year Feb 9 

;)

Like I said a couple of pages ago, I'm expecting Princeton, Berkeley, Chicago, and now I just realized probably Duke as well by the end of the next week/early the week after. I'm sure there are others as well, but none that I applied to so I haven't been following them for past result timeframes. 

Edited by Comparativist

6 hours ago, weathered_behavioralist said:

Duke has made shortlist, so should notify this week.

Really? Fingers crossed here. Where did you learn of it?

15 hours ago, weathered_behavioralist said:

Duke has made shortlist, so should notify this week.

Also expecting Penn and NYU this upcoming week.

Wow. Guess I won't be getting much sleep this week, either! Here's hoping...