Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

6 minutes ago, sociologicals said:

Seems like it's a lot to consider. I understanding not wanting to part with the $150 but unless it'll be really hard to swing it, I'd personally rather have a difficult time choosing between programs rather than regretting I did not apply to one. That said, 10 schools is a fair amount to apply to. So, it may not be that risky if you do not apply. 

If I didn't already have the acceptance I for sure would be applying. I just don't know if for personal reasons I wouldn't take it over my current offer anyway. If I for sure wouldn't then no point in wasting the money. If I come to the conclusion I would actually pick it over this offer if I met the staff and were blown away by them, then I will apply. I guess I have the weekend to figure this out.

16 hours ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Just wanted to claim the UCONN acceptance on the results page. Just got a really nice email from the dept. a few hours ago. Anyone else hear from the today? My letter said they only took 8 of us. I have full funding will a tuition waiver and 20 hour a week contract with the dept... more info to come in the mail.

This is my first school out of ten to hear back from so WOW!

Hi WorldPeaceMaker2010, I also got a UConn acceptance e-mail earlier. Saying exactly the same, 8 out of the application pool. Very surprised by their swift decision since their deadline is 1 Feb. And the unofficial offer from department chair is personalized, pointing out my research interests align with their departmental strengths - also very surprised. 

16 hours ago, 1too3for5 said:

UCLA is quietly infamous for losing almost half of its students along the way - I'm sure there are plenty of reasons for this, but I think it's important to end up in a program where you feel confident you'll receive the support you need to complete your degree.

One of my family members had to leave her PhD program at UCLA because of funding issues and having difficulties with getting instate residency, which was required for her to maintain funding after her first year. 

So, I agree that it's important to know what support you are going to receive, how you are going to be funded and the requirements for keeping those funds throughout your program.

7 minutes ago, suisui said:

Hi WorldPeaceMaker2010, I also got a UConn acceptance e-mail earlier. Saying exactly the same, 8 out of the application pool. Very surprised by their swift decision since their deadline is 1 Feb. And the unofficial offer from department chair is personalized, pointing out my research interests align with their departmental strengths - also very surprised. 

Oh helllo! Glad to meet someone else who is accepted there too! mine was like that too. What area do you work in?

2 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Oh helllo! Glad to meet someone else who is accepted there too! mine was like that too. What area do you work in?

Glad to meet you, too! I am working on social movement, masculinity, and sexuality studies. How about yours? 

1 hour ago, suisui said:

Has anyone heard from Rice yet? I spotted two interviews in the results page. Yet my application system says still under review. Any follow-ups?

I have a feeling all of the interview invitations have already been sent out, unfortunately. :(

2 hours ago, AmityDuPeuple said:

Have you already been admitted to these programs? I ask because piggybacking visits off of each other is generally frowned upon. That being said, I would imagine that many programs would understand our desire to do so, being that you are an international student and travel is expensive. I would also be careful for in the way you ask, if you do, for additional funding from other schools. They may feel as if they are contributing to or aiding their competition in some way. This certainly seems like a tricky situation. Best of luck and congratulations on your acceptance!  

No, I have only been accepted to UW, and not to other programs. Actually, I was only considering getting reimbursed from UW. I meant that I don't want to fly to the U.S more than once for visit weeks. If I know beforehand that other schools are going to have their visit weeks in mid March, I will book my return flight a week or two later....that being said, I think I could carefully consider asking whether some programs are OK with students being reimbursed from more than two schools. My flight will probably cost more than 1k already... Thank you very much for your advice. 

7 minutes ago, theorynetworkculture said:

Noticed on the results page that a few folks heard back from Stanford and Wisconsin-Madison: still nothing for me so far. Anyone else experiencing the same?

For UW Madison, check the My UW portal (which is different than the application portal). If you haven't already created a log-in, check your initial emails from department on how to do so. Your results will most likely be there.

45 minutes ago, theorynetworkculture said:

Noticed on the results page that a few folks heard back from Stanford and Wisconsin-Madison: still nothing for me so far. Anyone else experiencing the same?

I am still waiting on Stanford, too. Just logged in to the Wisconsin portal and it says the same as the poster on the results page-- the program has recommended me for admission, the grad school will review my file, refer to the page for updates. I mean-- that sounds like an acceptance, right?? Such a weird way to find out if it is. I only checked the portal because I saw the posts on the results page. 

12 minutes ago, c11m07 said:

I am still waiting on Stanford, too. Just logged in to the Wisconsin portal and it says the same as the poster on the results page-- the program has recommended me for admission, the grad school will review my file, refer to the page for updates. I mean-- that sounds like an acceptance, right?? Such a weird way to find out if it is. I only checked the portal because I saw the posts on the results page. 

Not all schools make it so obvious, but there's two parts of the admission process. Admission by department and then the official ok by the grad school. Many departments will provide you a letter saying you were recommended by the department for admissions and most people post those results on GC as an acceptance. Which in most cases it is. But it is possible that the grad college will look at your scores and say they are too low and ultimately deny you. I've never heard of this. So I would say its pretty safe to say you're accepted and department will get in contact with you. 

Technically though, you're not accepted until you receive an admissions offer by the graduate school of the university you are applying to.

Congrats!

Edited by sociologicals

5 minutes ago, sociologicals said:

Not all schools make it so obvious, but there's two parts of the admission process. Admission by department and then the official ok by the grad school. Many departments will provide you a letter saying you were recommended by the department for admissions and most people post those results on GC as an acceptance. Which in most cases it is. But it is possible that the GC will look at your scores and say they are too low and ultimately deny you. I've never heard of this. So I would say its pretty safe to say you're accepted and department will get in contact with you. 

Technically though, you're not accepted until you receive an admissions offer by the graduate school of the university you are applying to.

Congrats!

Thanks! That all makes sense.

I guess I expected more formal communication before the website updated (even for an unofficial acceptance), so I'm second guessing myself and not celebrating just yet. But the procedure and timeline for each school (and even each year) of course varies. 

Fingers crossed we all get some (official) good news before heading into the weekend!

1 hour ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

The board looks like Duke sent out some today

Yup, I didn't get an e-mail though and I had no changes to my application on the website....the board looks like one got an email and the other found out on the website?  I am sincerely sorry for their bad news, I've gotten lots of that in the last week.  I'm just hoping this not hearing is a good sign...

Edited by montanem

UWisconsin Madison, which hadn't the courtesy to send an email or issue a formal letter, marked my application "denied."

Only mildly panicking that UIndiana Bloomington has evidently sent out acceptances today. I've yet to receive any communication, and my application status still reads "submitted." Can the three who were admitted claim their acceptances and provide any additional information, please? They're my best fit program. 

Edited by Spirits of Lavender

5 minutes ago, HighlyCaffeinated said:

Based on last year's results it seems that Yale, Brown, and Penn will be sending acceptances later next week (possibly week after) with rejections in 3-4 weeks.  Here's to another weekend with no news, (un)patiently waiting for Monday. 

Ugh two of mine are in there, and I'm nervous. I hate when they don't send all the letters at once... it just makes you feel worse once everyone gets acceptances and you have nothing at all. 

Denied by Wisconsin-Madison too, found out on the website.. Pretty annoyed by the lack of courtesy as well: I paid some good money for that application. Wasn't the best fit for me, to be honest. Congratulations to those that got accepted though, it's a great program. Here's hoping for better news from the rest of the schools.

Edited by theorynetworkculture

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted!

Everyone who's been rejected, just remember that you're gonna make them regret their rejections

To everyone regardless of what your response is, get yourself ice cream or treat yourself nicely some other way

On 2/2/2017 at 7:47 AM, song95 said:

I will claim another acceptance from Penn State (sociology and demography) !! 

Since I am an international student, the procedure might be longer. I did interview on 1.12 and 1.13. And I got an e-mail yesterday from DGS saying that my official offer was on the way and she told me in advance because she didn't want me to feel worried. Also received another very nice letter from a current phd student providing help.

I am so thrilled at this time. And expecting more to come!

Hey, congrats! I also received an offer from Penn State! One question, did the letter state the program was "Sociology and Demography"?

22 hours ago, soc2017 said:

Congrats to everyone who has had acceptances so far! I'm in the (in)patiently waiting category on mine. Wanted to ask if anyone has heard anything from Chicago other than an acceptance/interview request? It seems on a similar schedule to last year, when there seemed to be very few outright rejections reported at this time or later in Feb/March. I know it's unproductive, but wondering (worrying) about the radio silence so far..

Don't want to be a pest, just want to try bumping once. It seems like every year there is just one round of acceptances. Is it safe to assume if you weren't accepted it's a wait for MAPSS or bust? If any Chicago acceptees/intervieews have a feel, let us know. Thanks and happy weekend!