Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

15 hours ago, Treblemaker8 said:

I've been anxiously waiting. Based on previous admissions cycles, it seems as though they're a bit late this year.

Recruitment has been set for March 24th, so I imagine first-round picks will hear imminently, if they haven't already. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you get in and have questions. (you too @bbbfan). Good luck!

5 hours ago, milkymamahdf said:

I've been accepted to Penn State's social psychology program, but waitlisted at UC Irvine. Try to make a comparison between these two programs, any suggestion, please?

Congrats on your acceptances! This is a sociology thread, so people in the psychology forum might be able to help you out more: 

On 2/18/2017 at 1:11 AM, Worktime Calzone said:

Oh yeah also weird thing to ask but are there any unis to avoid if you're trans? Came out last week and I can't find any info..

Not weird to ask at all, and congrats on coming out! I'm a trans woman and also considered how receptive various universities would be. One thing I did was look up how active the campus LGBTQ groups were, and if there was any support for trans grad students too.

Regarding healthcare, it's going to vary depending on both University and State statutes/laws. It's definitely a good thing to look up before attending, and if you have any questions feel free to pm me :)

Edited by DJSchiff

1 hour ago, jojokitty47 said:

Anyone else on that waitlist life?

Yep! I've been rejected for 2 schools, and waitlisted for 1-- University of South Carolina. My only remaining undecided application is Michigan Ann Arbor, which I am confident in saying I will not get into! So, I feel the waitlist struggle since it is my only hope of getting in this year.

I have an interview tomorrow morning- for anybody who's had one- did they ask you about current trends in the field or your subfield? online it says that could be a question in grad interviews but idk if it would happen in a soc phd interview and tbh idk how i would really answer that question? I'm like, unreasonably nervous for this little skype interview.

14 minutes ago, sociologicalpizza said:

I have an interview tomorrow morning- for anybody who's had one- did they ask you about current trends in the field or your subfield? online it says that could be a question in grad interviews but idk if it would happen in a soc phd interview and tbh idk how i would really answer that question? I'm like, unreasonably nervous for this little skype interview.

I have only been on one interview but we didn't even go near that. Our main focus - other than discussing specifics of the program - was on my own research. 

1 hour ago, sociologicalpizza said:

For my phone interview, my POI asked me about what drew me to pursue a graduate degree in sociology (I didn't major in sociology in undergrad), how I plan on carrying out my research if I get accepted (surveys, interviews, field observations, etc.), whether or not I prioritized one school over another and if this school is one of my top picks, and then she asked me if I had any questions for her about the program.

I wasn't asked any questions about current trends or my subfield. However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to prepare for those types of questions (if you have extra time tonight). Hope it goes well!

11 minutes ago, csot said:

Do we anticipate a lot of schools being closed tomorrow in observance of Presidents' Day?

I didn't even think of that. From a quick search it looks like UMass Amherst has it as a holiday on their calendar but Michigan doesn't, and those are at least the two I'm waiting on. 

19 minutes ago, LAG6 said:

I didn't even think of that. From a quick search it looks like UMass Amherst has it as a holiday on their calendar but Michigan doesn't, and those are at least the two I'm waiting on. 

I didn't realize it until a few hours ago either. Yeah, not everyone observes the holiday, so we'll see what news we hear tomorrow.

33 minutes ago, csot said:

Do we anticipate a lot of schools being closed tomorrow in observance of Presidents' Day?

A surprising amount of schools don't have the day off.  There will likely be less news, but still a substantive amount. 

Has anyone noticed days of the week in which news is more likely?

8 hours ago, jojokitty47 said:

Anyone else on that waitlist life?

I am! I am waitlisted for funding at Albany. Besides, I also got admitted into Michigan State University but they told me they are not able to offer me funding at that time. I asked them whether I am on the waitlist for funding, but they did not reply.

7 hours ago, Spirits of Lavender said:

Rejected from UMass Amherst.

I know how capricious this process is, but I'm perplexed nonetheless. Shows me for relegating them to "safety school" status.

How did they let you know? I'm still waiting to hear! 

6 hours ago, Schwein said:

I am! I am waitlisted for funding at Albany. Besides, I also got admitted into Michigan State University but they told me they are not able to offer me funding at that time. I asked them whether I am on the waitlist for funding, but they did not reply.

Waitlisted for Funding at Albany as well, and waitlisted in general at Umass Amherst.

Really hope to get off of Amherst's waitlist. 

Just now, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Waitlisted for Funding at Albany as well, and waitlisted in general at Umass Amherst.

Really hope to get off of Amherst's waitlist. 

I also hope to get off the waitlist. I am thinking about attending the visit day of Albany because I think it may do some help for me to get off the waitlist if I leave them a good impression. But the air ticket is pretty costly. I am still struggling to make the decision.

2 minutes ago, Schwein said:

I also hope to get off the waitlist. I am thinking about attending the visit day of Albany because I think it may do some help for me to get off the waitlist if I leave them a good impression. But the air ticket is pretty costly. I am still struggling to make the decision.

Not sure what your email said, but mine for Albany didn't leave me feeling particularly hopeful to get off it. Basically made me feel like the possibility was small.