Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

2 hours ago, montanem said:

No news at all (for me) this week...I don't know if that's good or bad.  But I submitted my MA thesis to my committee this morning (YAY!) and so while an acceptance would be great, after finishing this 72,000 word document, I am going to enjoy the weekend (and maybe not check my e-mail at all).  

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted all over this place this week!!!  All the exciting news gives me hope :)

Same here. Haven't heard anything this week. Haven't heard anything from anywhere yet. Starting to wonder if this might be a year of rejection... It's really hard not to care with good news coming all over the place from other people though.

17 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

I just got an email that I'm waitlisted at Umass Amherst

Congrats! I hope they can free up space for you. 

Is your application portal changed? Was it an individual message or from the system? 

1 hour ago, LAG6 said:

Is your application portal changed? Was it an individual message or from the system? 

According to their website, the IT department at UMass is performing maintenance on SPIRE until 8am on Tuesday morning. I too have applied and have yet to be notified of a decision. 

6 minutes ago, Spirits of Lavender said:

According to their website, the IT department at UMass is performing maintenance on SPIRE until 8am on Tuesday morning. I too have applied and have yet to be notified of a decision. 

Thanks! I assume I'll see on here if they get back to you? 

4 hours ago, LAG6 said:

It was an email from someone in the dept.

Our Spire system is down till early next week so checking it won't matter I don't think.

Honestly I'm really disappointed since this is my home school, some of my letters were from people in the dept. and I have a 3.9 GPA in the MA program alot of the faulty joint teaches in. I really thought I was a great fit, and was thinking I would get in (I know, never assume anything!). I hear there was alot of competition this year though, and I know they're looking for a diverse research interest cohort. I'm going to have a positive attitude about it, and just be thankful to have at least made the wait list.  I'm going to try to keep my hopes up high to get off the waitlist as people make their decisions. I really wanted to stay here, and the faulty I know there are all fantastic. It's a great program, and all hope is not lost yet. 

Just now, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Our Spire system is down till early next week so checking it won't matter I don't think.

Honestly I'm really disappointed since this is my home school, some of my letters were from people in the dept. and I have a 3.9 GPA in the MA program alot of the faulty joint teaches in. I really thought I was a great fit, and was thinking I would get in (I know, never assume anything!). I hear there was alot of competition this year though, and I know they're looking for a diverse research interest cohort. I'm going to have a positive attitude about it, and just be thankful to have at least made the wait list.  I'm going to try to keep my hopes up high to get off the waitlist as people make their decisions. I really wanted to stay here, and the faulty I know there are all fantastic. It's a great program, and all hope is not lost yet. 

I totally understand why you'd be disappointed about that. Sure, never assume anything, but sometimes you can't really help it... I really hope that it works out for you. 

Do you happen to know when they're planning on notifying the rest of us? From what I can tell, you're the only applicant on the forum who's been notified today. 

1 minute ago, LAG6 said:

I totally understand why you'd be disappointed about that. Sure, never assume anything, but sometimes you can't really help it... I really hope that it works out for you. 

Do you happen to know when they're planning on notifying the rest of us? From what I can tell, you're the only applicant on the forum who's been notified today. 

Yes, it is hard to not feel like your home institution you have a good shot at. 

I have no idea when the rest will be out, or if they already are even.

35 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Thanks so much for the information, and the best of luck to you. Don't lose hope yet!

8 hours ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

I just got an email that I'm waitlisted at Umass Amherst

Haven't heard shit from them :(

Oh yeah also weird thing to ask but are there any unis to avoid if you're trans? Came out last week and I can't find any info..

Edited by Worktime Calzone

7 hours ago, Worktime Calzone said:

Oh yeah also weird thing to ask but are there any unis to avoid if you're trans? Came out last week and I can't find any info..

Congrats!!! :)  I have no info for you about places to avoid, but there is a thread about "lesbian life" that, while it has a different focus (though I don't know your sexuality, so maybe applicable!), speaks about queerphobia, LGBT+ resources on campus, etc.  Might be helpful! 

1 minute ago, seon0102 said:

Has anyone applied to the Development Sociology program at Cornell? Does anyone know whether they've sent out the admission decisions yet? 

I applied! I haven't heard anything and based on past years they seem to send out decisions the first week of March (last year looks like the first acceptances were on March 3rd).

12 hours ago, Worktime Calzone said:

I don't know of any places to "avoid", but I would recommend checking out what resources are available at every school you get accepted to.

For example, is there a gender and sexuality center? Are there trans-friendly organizations where you can find social support? Are gender-neutral bathrooms accessible? Are there any counselors/psychologists at the mental health center that specialize in LGBT issues? Do some of the doctors at student health have experience working with trans* patients? There might be other factors that are important to you too.

Edited by csot

On 2017-02-17 at 0:09 AM, bbbfan said:

Has anyone been accepted into UofT's Sociology MA/PHD program yet? Nobody has posted if they have been admitted or not as of yet?

I've been anxiously waiting. Based on previous admissions cycles, it seems as though they're a bit late this year.

On 2/18/2017 at 2:35 PM, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Did anyone else apply to Social Policy at Brandeis?

I applied. Received a e-mail one month ago or so saying that they have begun to review. But I remember that their results usually are released quite late, at least on March. 

21 hours ago, Worktime Calzone said:

Haven't heard shit from them :(

There is this campus pride index. Just type the school name and you can find if the universities are LGBT friendly. 

9 hours ago, suisui said:

I applied. Received a e-mail one month ago or so saying that they have begun to review. But I remember that their results usually are released quite late, at least on March. 

Ugh, there's a thing on the board saying someone got an accepted phone call for it today or yesterday. Not sure if it's a trolling bc it's so much earlier than normal, or if results are really out and no phone call for us is bad :/