Projected Acceptance Dates for English PHD programs

That most recent Yale acceptance ending in “Go cleanse yourself!” is so obnoxious. You just know that person is an entitled asshole. I hate it when terrible people have the world at their feet. 

Edited by E. Coronaria

7 minutes ago, E. Coronaria said:

That most recent Yale acceptance ending in “Go cleanse yourself!” is so obnoxious. You just know that person is an entitled asshole. I hate it when terrible people get the world handed to them.

I know, it's so frustrating. I would be going absolutely NUTS if husband got into Yale, yet this person takes their notes section and uses it to be rude to others rather than being excited or helpful. Ugh.

12 hours ago, E. Coronaria said:

That most recent Yale acceptance ending in “Go cleanse yourself!” is so obnoxious. You just know that person is an entitled asshole. I hate it when terrible people have the world at their feet. 

12 hours ago, punctilious said:

I know, it's so frustrating. I would be going absolutely NUTS if husband got into Yale, yet this person takes their notes section and uses it to be rude to others rather than being excited or helpful. Ugh.

11 hours ago, hibiscus said:

They do have a point that GC can be anxiety-inducing. But I've also found people to be wonderfully supportive. Also the board has helped prepare me for inevitable rejections. 

So basically they can get off their yale high horse. 

Unfortunately, I've known people like that (or at least people who get into the same constellation of schools). Good luck to whoever ends up in a program with them!!!!

Edited by fuzzylogician
Edited for privacy at poster's request

4 minutes ago, hibiscus said:

They do have a point that GC can be anxiety-inducing. But I've also found people to be wonderfully supportive. Also the board has helped prepare me for inevitable rejections. 

So basically they can get off their yale high horse. 

I think the entire process is anxiety-inducing but I'm pretty sure we would have been getting no acceptances if it weren't for this community. The GC gave me a much more realistic picture of what the situation is like for English PhD applicants and advice on how to select schools. I'm sure there are plenty of applicants who don't need this support (or have incredible support already from their fancy school or professors) and will get in everywhere anyway, but I've found it invaluable. Of course there are stress-inducing moments here but there would be anyway, in my opinion.

11 hours ago, bpilgrim89 said:

Unfortunately, I've known people like that (or at least people who get into the same constellation of schools). Good luck to whoever ends up in a program with them!!!!

Yikes. How does someone even get into all those schools? What kind of application do you have to have to just hit every top school?

Edited by fuzzylogician
Edited quoted text for privacy

17 minutes ago, punctilious said:

Yikes. How does someone even get into all those schools? What kind of application do you have to have to just hit every top school?

Someone whose forehead really ought to be gilded with a star... But, since I'm fresh out of those, all I can say is CONGRATS.  

Edited by FreakyFoucault

1 hour ago, E. Coronaria said:

Seriously. Bug off if you don't like it, dude. I've really valued my interaction here. It gave me an outlet to focus my energy while waiting and nearly every encounter I've had here has been positive and encouraging. <_<

25 minutes ago, punctilious said:

In all honesty, they are a great scholar who will do amazing work no matter which program they end up in. They just also need a lesson in self-awareness, but I am sure that's obvious from the post. And is also true of many academics tbh!

11 minutes ago, bpilgrim89 said:

In all honesty, they are a great scholar who will do amazing work no matter which program they end up in. They just also need a lesson in self-awareness, but I am sure that's obvious from the post. And is also true of many academics tbh!

I mean, clearly I was being a little harsh by calling them a terrible person. But I’ve found GC so comforting and inspiring, so I found the tone of the post a bit offensive. Y’all have picked me up on my worst days and celebrated with me on some of my best days. Nobody has ever made me feel insignificant or trivial on this forum, and then somebody posted that trash. I guess if you get into all those school you wouldn’t understand the anxiety of other people trying to get into ANY of their schools. /sigh. 

I think it's important to be aware that those applying this cycle are your fellow academics and scholars. These are the people who you'll be interacting with at conferences.. These are the people you'll have the opportunity to form early connections with. These are the people who very well may help one of your future students get into their program and vice versa. These are the people who would be the most willing to copublish together. These are the people who will be serving on similar committed as you. Build love, not hate.

37 minutes ago, Warelin said:

I think it's important to be aware that those applying this cycle are your fellow academics and scholars. These are the people who you'll be interacting with at conferences.. These are the people you'll have the opportunity to form early connections with. These are the people who very well may help one of your future students get into their program and vice versa. These are the people who would be the most willing to copublish together. These are the people who will be serving on similar committed as you. Build love, not hate.

If I had more reacts, I would up this, but I am out. So, all I can say is yes!

7 minutes ago, cafeduneant said:

I have yet to hear anything from Brown, positive or negative. Is anyone in the same boat? Is it worth emailing the manager of graduate studies? 

SAME! We tried calling the manager of graduate studies and emailing the DGS but haven't heard anything!

11 minutes ago, cafeduneant said:

I have yet to hear anything from Brown, positive or negative. Is anyone in the same boat? Is it worth emailing the manager of graduate studies? 

6 minutes ago, punctilious said:

SAME! We tried calling the manager of graduate studies and emailing the DGS but haven't heard anything!

Called Brown. They are making decisions in batches but have released their decisions to the grad school. Decisions will be posted "soon, if not today",

3 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Called Brown. They are making decisions in batches but have released their decisions to the grad school. Decisions will be posted "soon, if not today",

WARELIN. You are my hero, as usual. Any idea if that means that there could be more acceptances?

5 minutes ago, punctilious said:

WARELIN. You are my hero, as usual. Any idea if that means that there could be more acceptances?

Tone was neutral and hard to decipher. Great poker face from Brown.

If I were going to guess though, I think the answer is that there could be more acceptances in the batch. Some departments have mentioned that all acceptances have been released.

Edited by Warelin
Add'l Info

10 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Tone was neutral and hard to decipher. Great poker face from Brown.

If I were going to guess though, I think the answer is that there could be more acceptances in the batch. Some departments have mentioned that all acceptances have been released.

Yeah, I'm really not sure why else they'd have one huge day of acceptances, one huge day of rejections, and a slow trickling of rejections unless they were still making decisions on acceptances or waitlists. Thank you so much for calling them!!

Hi all, I haven't been a regular poster, but I just wanted to say a BIG thank you for forming the kind of community you guys do. Like the Yale poster said, GC can be super anxiety inducing (for no fault of the people posting on GC), but I have known it to be a very supportive, encouraging and warm community too. Thank you for being the people you are and I hope we cross paths in our academic careers or outside of them!

Edited by DeePee16

5 hours ago, E. Coronaria said:

I think everyone may be overreacting. Back in my day we used to respond to posts like that with that time-honored admonition, "obvious troll is obvious." I highly doubt that post is real in any way.