Projected Acceptance Dates for English PHD programs

We called Boston University and they said they haven't gotten through their first round of applications yet. Apparently they "want to be done by the end of February, but would conservatively estimate decisions coming in March." Looks like we won't be hearing back this week! :(

1 hour ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

If it's comparative lit, it might be @immanentfields. I don't know of any other acceptances (not just on Grad Cafe, but in my whole life).

Wasn't me--I posted my Harvard acceptance in comp lit on the board when it happened (a few weeks ago). There's at least one other person here who was accepted for comp lit around the same time as well, but I know nothing about their English PhDs. 

3 minutes ago, themoderncondition said:

NYU/Rutgers--how 'bout that waitlist already? And what does it mean that NYU Masters results are up?

Yeah is there even a shot at waitlists from NYU at this point? 

3 hours ago, punctilious said:

We called Boston University and they said they haven't gotten through their first round of applications yet. Apparently they "want to be done by the end of February, but would conservatively estimate decisions coming in March." Looks like we won't be hearing back this week! :(

Thank you for calling and sharing the information! 

1 hour ago, themoderncondition said:

NYU/Rutgers--how 'bout that waitlist already? And what does it mean that NYU Masters results are up?

Where are you seeing NYU Masters results? When I applied I selected that I wanted to be considered for the masters if rejected from the PhD program; if the Masters results are out, I suppose that means an implied rejection from both?

Edit: I see on the results page where people have been listing acceptances to NYU's MA now. That's a shame. I just wish they would actually sent out rejections to one or both of them, if I'm/we're rejected. 

Edited by Cormacc

29 minutes ago, themoderncondition said:

Anyone know anything about when Fordham might notify? It’s the last piece of my application puzzle and a much better commute than my other current options. I know their notifications in previous years have been all over the board. 

No, but I received an email from them about how if I completed my application they would still comsider it in mid-late Jan, so it sounded like they were behind schedule or received a smaller applicant group this year.

On 2/20/2018 at 10:33 PM, unicornsarereal said:

I think end of this week is what people have been saying

If you wouldn't mind--would anyone be able to point me to where that discussion was? Just trying to reduce the anxious need I'll feel tomorrow to check my email all day...

On 2/20/2018 at 8:33 PM, unicornsarereal said:

I think end of this week is what people have been saying

Just saw on my POIs Twitter that they’re still reading apps.... I’m saying next week 

There are results up for Lit and Creative Writing at Tennessee. Does anyone know if notifications went out for the Rhetoric, Writing, and Linguistics PhD? 

This was my earliest deadline (Dec 1), so I feel like I've been waiting forever!

RE: Columbia, just called and asked and was told “no decisions have been made, they are still deciding, in fact they are deciding right now” and that decisions should be sent in the next few weeks. My read from that is that they are meeting today to discuss them so I hope we start hearing things next week, but who knows.

18 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

RE: Columbia, just called and asked and was told “no decisions have been made, they are still deciding, in fact they are deciding right now” and that decisions should be sent in the next few weeks. My read from that is that they are meeting today to discuss them so I hope we start hearing things next week, but who knows.

That's good to know! It seems quite late, especially since it looks as though all the other Ivies (?) have released some, if not all, decisions.

48 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

Thanks so much for calling! I guess it will be at least another week of endless pacing. Sigh.

3 hours ago, Wooshkuh said:

There are results up for Lit and Creative Writing at Tennessee. Does anyone know if notifications went out for the Rhetoric, Writing, and Linguistics PhD? 

This was my earliest deadline (Dec 1), so I feel like I've been waiting forever!

Every time I think about calling them, I see one of your posts and I know I’m not the only one! I think I’m going to need serious treatment for an ulcer by the time this whole process is over… 

On 2/19/2018 at 12:01 PM, chellyfish_ said:

DGS told me that they're accepting a cohort of 15 people, with emphasis on pre-19th Century Lit (by this I mean all fields pre-19th), Indigenous Lit Studies, and Latinx Lit.

Why did I even apply? Why did I apply to most of the places I applied to? I ask myself that in the shower on a daily basis now. Quality info though!

Edited by hotpotato

I just saw some rejections go up for Syracuse; anyone know if that was for Lit or Ret/Comp? I know that the two programs are quite distinct there, so I'm just wondering if I should think anything of those rejections since I didn't receive anything. I also know that they're notoriously late to drop responses so I'm slightly surprised we're already seeing anything.

On 2/24/2018 at 12:06 AM, signandsignifiers said:

I just saw some rejections go up for Syracuse; anyone know if that was for Lit or Ret/Comp? I know that the two programs are quite distinct there, so I'm just wondering if I should think anything of those rejections since I didn't receive anything. I also know that they're notoriously late to drop responses so I'm slightly surprised we're already seeing anything.

I know that the Rhet/comp program conducted interviews and sent out some waitlist and acceptances this week (so I'm assuming they probably also sent some rejections). I would guess the rejections were from them not lit (although even if the rejections were from lit, I guess no news is good news?)