Projected Acceptance Dates for English PHD programs

12 minutes ago, Crow T. Robot said:

Another day of silence over here, too. It's finally starting to get to me.

"Hello darkness, my old friend 
I've come to talk with you again"

^my internal monologue today. 

8 minutes ago, Elle Coronaria said:

The Disturbed version of this is brilliant. Love, love, love. 

I'm not attracted to men, but I won't lie: David Draiman's growling baritone is pretty sexy.

Also: you're absolutely right, @Elle Coronaria, that was an incredible cover! 

Edited by FreakyFoucault

Well, the OSU rejection emails were sent out. I knew the rejection was coming since accepted applications were updated a few days ago and mine still said “pending,” but having it confirmed made me feel awful. Now to wait in agony for responses from the other 9 schools I applied to....

Sending positive vibes to everyone who got the rejection email today! Just remember: this isn’t the end. After all, we only need to get into one program!

Edited by TaliaTee

4 minutes ago, jpbends said:

Sorry for the double post!

Who else is just stewing in purgatory right now? Between logging into every application portal and checking my email and seeing nothing but "submitted' and "under review," I'm not sure I'll be able to make it through the week!

At this point I'm just refreshing the results page because I can't remember my login for like.... half of my portals, ha. 

10 minutes ago, la_mod said:

At this point I'm just refreshing the results page because I can't remember my login for like.... half of my portals, ha. 

Thank god for google remembering my password for all but one of those.

3 minutes ago, la_mod said:

Same! But I'm at work and luckily have been lurking on these forums / my applications on "incognito mode"

Ah, that makes sense! Well.... It's no better constantly refreshing portals, as I am doing instead of writing.

4 minutes ago, unicornsarereal said:

I cannot focus on anything else, like finding a job or ANYTHING, honestly

I was reflecting this on my drive to my (thankfully?) mindless job this morning. I can hardly read a book! I've just been listening to podcasts and going on walks and trying to make it through February, which! has not even begun, my goodness

I've spent today thinking about if I'd rather be rejected outright or waitlisted at my dreamboat school. I can't figure out which would be less scary.

19 minutes ago, la_mod said:

I was reflecting this on my drive to my (thankfully?) mindless job this morning. I can hardly read a book! I've just been listening to podcasts and going on walks and trying to make it through February, which! has not even begun, my goodness

And HOW is is sTiLL January. Ughhh. There's more of it tomorrow! WHY!

1 hour ago, jpbends said:

Sorry for the double post!

Who else is just stewing in purgatory right now? Between logging into every application portal and checking my email and seeing nothing but "submitted' and "under review," I'm not sure I'll be able to make it through the week!

With a straight rejection from OSU and an implied rejection from Wisconsin, I'm more chill. The emails will ultimately end up in my inbox. 

Also, @jpbends: Did you apply to the Literature department's PhD at UCSD? 

6 minutes ago, jpbends said:

Yes! I'm hoping to work with Erin Suzuki, whose scholarship on transpacific relationships between the U.S., Hawai'i, and the Philippines (along with Denise Cruz!) has really influenced the way I approach my research.

I’ve worked with Dr. Suzuki before. She is absolutely fantastic. She  even read through my first conference paper to help calm my nerves, as I was only 19 and felt so unqualified. 

2 minutes ago, jpbends said:

AAAAAA how was that? I'm a huge huge fanboy of hers.

She’s truly brillant and accessible— a sometimes rare combination in academia. You’ve chosen well. Best of luck with the admissions  process!

I'm trying to decide whether I should limit how many times I refresh the results page. This whole thing feels like a compulsion that I probably shouldn't give into.... but then again, is there any real harm? Perhaps distracting myself with such a silly question will do me some good. 

6 minutes ago, la_mod said:

I'm trying to decide whether I should limit how many times I refresh the results page. This whole thing feels like a compulsion that I probably shouldn't give into.... but then again, is there any real harm? Perhaps distracting myself with such a silly question will do me some good. 

https://imgflip.com/i/23n0mc

8 minutes ago, la_mod said:

I told myself I was going to do that. I just cannot.

45 minutes ago, punctilious said:

Enjoying the sounds of silence once again today.

Uggh same here-nothing has even changed on my application pages! Too early for any of the schools I applied to, but still have that irrational feeling that this is the year the school decides to notify early. Plus, I feel a rush of adrenaline when I read about everyone else's acceptances!

27 minutes ago, LeeLeeCzechIrish said:

Uggh same here-nothing has even changed on my application pages! Too early for any of the schools I applied to, but still have that irrational feeling that this is the year the school decides to notify early. Plus, I feel a rush of adrenaline when I read about everyone else's acceptances!

I’m in the same boat! I’ve got about two weeks, at least, before I hear any more results, but I’m still constantly refreshing the results page as if the good vibes from all of those acceptances will give me a greater chance of getting into a program (or as if all the rejections will make me feel a little bit calmer about the rejections I’ll inevitably get).

Edited by TaliaTee