Projected Acceptance Dates for English PHD programs

7 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Last year it was 3 minutes for me. :D 

that's how I'm feeling too! 

33 minutes ago, LeeLeeCzechIrish said:

Too early for any of the schools I applied to, but still have that irrational feeling that this is the year the school decides to notify early.

I think I've chosen to believe this out of wishful thinking

18 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Brutal!

Ha! So brutal that that was when I developed real anxiety and had weird panic attacks! Nice :D I'm telling you, these applications are the point of no return!

Longtime lurker coming forward -- Are any of the Cambridge folks here? Or does anyone know what the timeline is? I saw some people posting rejections in the results --  I suppose they're just letting people know in waves? Looking for any information that will keep me from repeatedly refreshing the portal...

31 minutes ago, Stormborn said:

Longtime lurker coming forward -- Are any of the Cambridge folks here? Or does anyone know what the timeline is? I saw some people posting rejections in the results --  I suppose they're just letting people know in waves? Looking for any information that will keep me from repeatedly refreshing the portal...

My friend received her rejection as well. She's such a brilliant student with straight A's and awesome recommendations, I don't know why they've rejected her twice, now. Her english could be better, but I'm sure they accept other foreign students with a sometimes clunky language?

2 hours ago, Yanaka said:

My friend received her rejection as well. She's such a brilliant student with straight A's and awesome recommendations, I don't know why they've rejected her twice, now. Her english could be better, but I'm sure they accept other foreign students with a sometimes clunky language?

Eep! Thanks for letting me know.

3 hours ago, Stormborn said:

I received a rejection today, it seems kind of soon but I don’t know; they have rolling admissions so they might be doing it in waves, though I’d assume that if rejections are out then so are acceptances.

One thing I've started doing is checking my academia.edu profile "analytics" info to see from which regions and on what dates people have been searching my profile and articles. Not sure how accurate this method is or whether potential schools spend much time googling their applicants. (for example, I've gotten like 5 searches from Toronto in the past two weeks, which could indicate some interest from U of T).

Also if a researcher who also has an academia.edu profile searches you, all that comes up is "Someone from the United States read your article"... which is vague and not particularly helpful.

Anyways, this could be a useful method to see what regions/schools have been trying to find more information about your work.

11 hours ago, Stormborn said:

Not sure if this helps much, but people will be hearing about interviews around now, or being rejected without interview. No one gets accepted without an interview (I'm a current Cambridge student, but don't necessarily take my word for it, they may make exceptions for all I know haha). Good luck!

4 hours ago, villanelle said:

One thing I've started doing is checking my academia.edu profile "analytics" info to see from which regions and on what dates people have been searching my profile and articles. Not sure how accurate this method is or whether potential schools spend much time googling their applicants. (for example, I've gotten like 5 searches from Toronto in the past two weeks, which could indicate some interest from U of T).

Also if a researcher who also has an academia.edu profile searches you, all that comes up is "Someone from the United States read your article"... which is vague and not particularly helpful.

Anyways, this could be a useful method to see what regions/schools have been trying to find more information about your work.

I don't have an academia.edu profile, but now I wish I did! I do have a website, and the day after the deadline of one app the views went up crazy high... I can't really see locations outside of countries... So I'm really just left guessing.

8 minutes ago, punctilious said:

There are two Maryland acceptances on the results board and my anxiety has officially skyrocketed. 

I saw them and thought of you, hopefully good news is waiting/coming!

I know Chicago is technically only one day early from last year, but I really hope this is a trend of early admission notifications that will continue! Keeping my fingers crossed for Cal and some of these Canadian schools soon. 

10 minutes ago, la_mod said:

I know Chicago is technically only one day early from last year, but I really hope this is a trend of early admission notifications that will continue!

I was definitely shocked to hear from one of my schools yesterday. I wasn't expecting to hear from TAMU until February.

4 minutes ago, jpbends said:

It'll be nice to get my official rejection from Chicago soon so I don't have to worry myself any longer :^)

It'll probably be another week before they send rejections tbh. .....

One of the reasons I didn't reapply this year is because of how awful they were about interviews / notifications. 

13 hours ago, WildeThing said:

I received a rejection today, it seems kind of soon but I don’t know; they have rolling admissions so they might be doing it in waves, though I’d assume that if rejections are out then so are acceptances.

5 hours ago, avraven said:

Not sure if this helps much, but people will be hearing about interviews around now, or being rejected without interview. No one gets accepted without an interview (I'm a current Cambridge student, but don't necessarily take my word for it, they may make exceptions for all I know haha). Good luck!

I suppose the universe was listening -- my rejection came through this morning -- alas! Checked the portal and saw "unsuccessful"; got an email a few hours later, for anyone still waiting. Thank you for the info though you two!

19 minutes ago, jpbends said:

Follow-up, though it's nothing new that we haven't heard before. I was just on the phone with Northwestern admissions, and they said that decisions are released in "early February," and when I mentioned last year that decisions came out around today and tomorrow, they said that sounds about right.

So who wants to be the person to call every school I applied to? Or at least Vandy...

5 minutes ago, littlelotte said:

I’m going stir crazy watching the results come in for programs I didn’t apply to, and a good half of my schools won’t notify for a few weeks yet :mellow: Really starting to think that February is in fact the cruelest month...

Ugh right?! Very cruel indeed. I'm starting to get angry at myself for not applying to schools who notify earlier, that's how crazy I'm getting. Two of my schools' applications aren't even due until tomorrow! ahhh