Waitlist Thread

hector549

13 minutes ago, episteme7 said:

Did they mention in your e-mail where you were on WL?

I was told I was high on the waitlist. That's it. 

5 minutes ago, mano said:

Do schools usually inform the person wait listed about his/her ranking on the list only if that person is high on the list?

It's different for many programs. Some will tell you whether you are high, middle, or low on the list. Others just say whether you're high. While others don't say anything. But, almost always, you can ask where you are on the waitlist and they will tell you. Though, some waitlists are not ranked so cleanly; some are in groups on the basis of AOI

7 minutes ago, Dialectica said:

It's different for many programs. Some will tell you whether you are high, middle, or low on the list. Others just say whether you're high. While others don't say anything. But, almost always, you can ask where you are on the waitlist and they will tell you. Though, some waitlists are not ranked so cleanly; some are in groups on the basis of AOI

thanks.

yeah, I guess we have a right to inquiry about our ranking. But what I meant to ask was whether they tell it even if one does not solicit (if they do, I guess it is only because one is really high on the list). 

17 minutes ago, Dialectica said:

Though, some waitlists are not ranked so cleanly; some are in groups on the basis of AOI

Some aren't even that clean, and the decision making process occurs each time someone is to be promoted off the waitlist.

1 minute ago, mano said:

thanks.

yeah, I guess we have a right to inquiry about our ranking. But what I meant to ask was whether they tell it even if one does not solicit (if they do, I guess it is only because one is really high on the list). 

Right. That's what I was addressing in the previous post (sorry if that wasn't clear). Some programs will tell you where you are, even if you're not high. 

On 3/9/2017 at 8:24 PM, RumHaven said:

Has anyone else been waitlisted at Princeton? I've searched through the results and seen only acceptances and rejections, plus there was a result from last year stating Princeton does not waitlist people.

Anyone? Or has anyone even heard of others who are waitlisted at Princeton (perhaps in the FB group, which I'm not in)?

20 hours ago, Dialectica said:

Thanks! All the information I got was that there was a "reasonable chance based on previous history they could make me a full fellowship offer" though Prof. Bricker couldn't predict what that chance was exactly. Maybe I'll followup and ask if its a ranked waitlist etc.

Officially waitlisted at Irvine's LPS program - ~60 students applied, ~1/3 were offered admissions, exactly 21 students on an unordered waitlist. A 'small subset of applicants' from the waitlist might be offered admissions depending on how the offer holders turn out. May the quantum chances favor me...

Edited by eigenname

Have a feeling I'm on some kind of a hidden waitlist at the New School for Social Research. Judging from the results page, it looks like a decent number have already heard from them, and this is later than when I got a rejection last year. They said a couple weeks ago that they would have a decision by yesterday.

On 3/23/2017 at 3:18 PM, matchamatcha said:

Interview from Indiana HPS off the waitlist. Anyone know what these things consist of?

I don't think they've necessarily done this in past years.

I have some more information about what might happen at UNC. One of my letter-writers contacted some friends at UNC and they told him that I am waitlisted and will be notified of my status on April 2nd. In conjunction with the other information on this forum, I figure that the visit days probably end on the 1st or 31st, and at that point they will feel comfortable making the hidden waitlist explicit. (One piece of information that doesn't fit into this picture is Witsclaw being waitlisted just last Wednesday, after the first-round waitlists who were presumably funded to visit, and before the unfunded hidden waitlist is revealed. Maybe he has more info?)