Posting your acceptance on facebook

Mathk1d

I have one friend who applied to one of the four programs I applied to, we've been in constant contact during the application process since we used some of the same LoR sources. When we get decisions, it will be a race to text each other. She will probably be the only one (other than DH if he is at work when I find out and maybe my parents) that I text/call the news of any acceptance, otherwise it will go a simple post on facebook for the other friends who were keeping track of my process. A good number helped me out with proofing CVs, SoP, Writing Samples, etc and some just want DH and me to move closer since I moved 1600 miles away for undergrad.

I have already abused my FB status posting privileges to the maximum extent; updating the damn thing every time I got hired for a new job, got a seat in a waitlisted class, bought a bag of jellybeans, etc. In addition to this, I have already made the mistake of letting my FB friend's list know I sent out my grad school apps, and then CRAP, ended up getting rejected from my first choice school. Excuse me while I remove my foot from my mouth..

I'm now leaning towards a gradual approach, whereby I don't necessarily tease the information but I release it in small sections. I too had a decent amount of people help out with my application, CV, SOP, etc, so rather than just text a legion of people, I'll probably announce around March where I stand so as not to be bombarded with inquests and the like, about what my upcoming plans are.

Heh, this is relevant in context and some of you might be entertained by it. Miss Manners, in one of her books, actually has tips for occasionally bragging to people who you want to brag to but who aren't close enough that you can brag unrestrainedly, in ways less likely to annoy them than straight-up bragging. She suggests couching it in incredulity ("There must be some mistake! I just got a letter saying that I got into X!"), anxiety ("Uh oh...I got into X and it's this incredible opportunity but what if I can't hack the work? and how am I going to pay?") or uncontrolled manic elation (I don't think I need to provide an example of what uncontrolled manic elation would look like, folks).

Personally, I suspect that most of us will not have a problem with the uncontrolled manic elation option. :D

I don't see what the problem is with sharing excitement over geting an acceptance. When I got my first decision (an acceptance) last week, I ran downstairs while calling my roommate's name, then called my dad, followed by texting my my closest friends and cousins (like my brothers), and then left a voice message for another friend. Afterwards, I updated my facebook status with a message of excitement and a lot of exclamation marks. I only mentioned the specific school once someone asked. But then again, I'm already in grad school and am applying for a program in another field, and I don't know a single person who is applying to anything right now. Most of my friends are in grad school already or work full-time.

I haven't been accepted anywhere yet, but I posted my first (and only, so far) interview invitation (Wharton) - more than 50 "likes" so far. I have supportive friends, and have been out of school for a while, so they're all excited for me. Plus, I'm excited for me - it's tough keeping it in. I follow and am followed by some professors in programs I'm applying to on Google+ and twitter, so I'm not blasting it there. I was following them prior to deciding where to apply, but any I've found since then I'm bookmarking to follow later (it just seems weird to me to do otherwise).

Heh, this is relevant in context and some of you might be entertained by it. Miss Manners, in one of her books, actually has tips for occasionally bragging to people who you want to brag to but who aren't close enough that you can brag unrestrainedly, in ways less likely to annoy them than straight-up bragging. She suggests couching it in incredulity ("There must be some mistake! I just got a letter saying that I got into X!"), anxiety ("Uh oh...I got into X and it's this incredible opportunity but what if I can't hack the work? and how am I going to pay?") or uncontrolled manic elation (I don't think I need to provide an example of what uncontrolled manic elation would look like, folks).

Personally, I suspect that most of us will not have a problem with the uncontrolled manic elation option. :D

that first one suspiciously sounds like humblebrag to me ... thought that was a new social networking faux pas?

that first one suspiciously sounds like humblebrag to me ... thought that was a new social networking faux pas?

That's what I thought. I usually agree with her (except some of her wedding etiquette, if I followed all of that it would have been so much more of a nightmare)but her method sounds like false modesty, which I tend to find even more annoying because it shows you are trying to brag but are being sneaky about it.

I do not think just saying you got accepted is bragging. Being excessively showy or self deprecating about it is closer.

Sort of along the lines of the girls who complain "I'm only 95 pounds, I'm so FAT! On a diet starting now!!!!"

That's what I thought. I usually agree with her (except some of her wedding etiquette, if I followed all of that it would have been so much more of a nightmare)but her method sounds like false modesty, which I tend to find even more annoying because it shows you are trying to brag but are being sneaky about it.

I do not think just saying you got accepted is bragging. Being excessively showy or self deprecating about it is closer.

Sort of along the lines of the girls who complain "I'm only 95 pounds, I'm so FAT! On a diet starting now!!!!"

I think we can def. discard that piece of advice! Wish these Emily Post types would evolve for the digital age & come up w/practical solutions. You can't fit telegram manners into the twitter age. That's my humble opinion

My FB friends are all people I know personally and have been rooting for me. I was very hesitant to post the names of the two ivies that I applied to because I didn't want to look like I was bragging, but my future father-in-law asked directly. I definitely plan on posting my acceptances... they all know I was very stressed out and full of self-doubt (I still am lol).

I think we can def. discard that piece of advice! Wish these Emily Post types would evolve for the digital age & come up w/practical solutions. You can't fit telegram manners into the twitter age. That's my humble opinion

I would be very upset by that. I mean... saying "OMG I got into ____! I can't believe it!" is one thing... If i get into my top choices that's probably what I'll do... because I really won't believe it. But "there must have been a mistake" is definitely false modesty; it sounds pedantic.

uh, i busted my arse the past couple years with MA coursework, my thesis, and networking the whole way through...

people can think whatever they want about me posting my PHD acceptances. getting in is a significant achievement. i'm going to post about it-- whether they like it or not.

ppl can ACT bitter n say "oh u're bragging" but... really deep down inside I know they're really happy for you too.

Edited by cacaotocacao

I'd have to decide and choose one of the two status updates: the coherent "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASDFSFSGHDFHH WHEEEEEE OMG OMG OMG DSFSGD" and the modest one "GDFLGDLGKDHKPSHP RKLHPDK NANANANANA BATMAN WHEEEEEEEEE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT YEAH SEAKING ADSFSDF".

Hahahaha. I vote the "NANANANA BATMAN WHEEEEEE" one. :D

I may have to post something similar to that one. :)

"Spider PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG"

I wish I could commission someone to sing in an operatic manner, announcing to the world my acceptance, then I'd post it on youtube, which I'd then post on facebook .... if we're talking outlandish fantasy :)

I was very hesitant to post the names of the two ivies that I applied to because I didn't want to look like I was bragging, but my future father-in-law asked directly.

This is so funny - I always feel weird listing all my schools (I applied to ten, not all well known to the general public, but some big names), because people that don't know how hard it is to get in think it's super impressive to hear a long list of good schools. People keep saying "congratulations" when I tell them I applied to Harvard - as if applying itself is an accomplishment (so far it's been radio silence from them). I'm so nervous that I won't get in anywhere, and then it will feel extra weird.

People keep saying "congratulations" when I tell them I applied to Harvard - as if applying itself is an accomplishment

Haha, then I guess we all should give ourselves a big pat on the back, yes? Some applause, cheering, flowers... but oh lord, no encores please.

I'm definitely posting an acceptance on facebook. My friends have all gone on to awesome real person jobs and I'm still skulking around my undergrad working various RA and lab manager positions, scaring the current undergrads with my pungent coffee breath and loud squeals every time I get a new email. I know everyone will be excited (and a bit relieved) that I'm finally heading off to grad school - "You got a new research position?? Why do you need so many??"