Posting your acceptance on facebook

Mathk1d

I'm not, simply because I'm currently in training for a job that I will be quitting in September to start school, so there's no reason to have any issues with that. I finish training this week, though, and I'll probably post something when I officially decide where I'm going (though it's already 99% sure, since I got into my top choice with full funding, buuuuut you never know what the other schools might come up with ;) haha).

I agree with those saying that it's celebratory. How is it conceited to tell people (who are supposed to be your friends) how happy and excited you are about the new direction your life is about to take? It'd be one thing if your post said "Oh, I got into grad school. I guess that's cool, but I didn't expect any less." But I assume most "I was accepted!!!!" posts are expressing shock/glee/gratitude. Sure, I'm a little jealous of my close friend for getting into one of my top schools, but I don't think he's a conceited asshole for not hiding the news until the day he pops off to another state.

I did not post it on facebook (although I thought about it) because I did not want to attract attention that way and I am afraid that I will receive less than 50 comments/likes, which will be seen as a failed attempt at attn-whoring. When I told some people at school, some were happy for me, but most were jealous and said that the school sucked (only at my UG does Columbia University suck!!) and that they would rather go to UCLA. Granted UCLA is higher ranked than Columbia in some areas, but it's not like LA is top 5 or anything in the ones that it is better in.

I ♥ haters.

edit: posting acceptances/gloating/bragging is what grad cafe and college confidential is for.

Edited by Eisenmann

I posted when I got my first acceptance (still my first and only AD) because it felt so weird to hear something. It was not from my first choice school. Once I did that, I decided I won't post anything else until I decide where I'm actually going. Even if I do get into my first choice now, because I don't want my facebook to be multiple posts about where I did and didn't in, that does seem conceited, like I need people to comment on every AD I get.

Of course Id post it!! Especially because all of my family and friends live so far away, its the only way to share my excitement with everyone. dont be afraid to post how awesome you are!! screw everyone!! (ok not really, but .. you know what I mean)

As my fb is friends only and I am not fb friends with anyone at either of the schools I applied to (well, one person from a totally different department who is my best friends boyfriend), I had no problem what-so-ever with posting that I was accepted to one school so far. I didn't mention which it was (though someone mentioned it further down, and I didn't give any indication at that point which I would want to go to), so I don't think it'll come back and bite me. Plus, a. I've worked super hard for this and I deserve to be excited, b. I don't know anyone applying in my subject or at my schools, and c. If I have to see 245763136521234889621 pictures of people's babies (I know 4 people who just had babies, so my news feed is overflowing with babies, which are cute, but numerous...) every single day, I can have one moment of OMG!!!!!!1111one.

Edited for my b turning into a smiley with sunglasses O.o

Edited by Roccoriel

I definitely post it!

My friends are so far and wide it's the easiest way to share good news. With the exception of a post like "I got into Harvard so I'm better than you all! ha-ha!" I can't see why it would be conceited at all.

If anyone takes the sharing of good news as a negative, that's their flaw, not mine.

Most of the people on my facebook that post things like this brag about their accomplishments all the time, so I've come to associate it with annoyingness. :P

However, if I were accepted anywhere, I would probably post something later on at the end of the semester. Several people in my department are applying to some of the same schools, and I wouldn't want to potentially clue them into their admission status. One of my FB friends got into the PhD program at my top school with full funding, while I was rejected. Needless to say, her bragging, "in your face" status update about her acceptance only made me feel even crappier. Think of your peers! This is the only reason why I would be hesitant to post anything.

I *want* to have something -anything!- to post at facebook.

When/if the news come, my facebook is going to explode! and really, I won't care about being an attn-whore, conceited or whatever. i am just going to be happy :)

On facebook I posted about my acceptance... didn't think anything of it at the time. Looking back, knowing some of my friends are still waiting to hear from schools, it may have been short sighted. But then I also thought it was the other way around, and if it was me waiting & honestly I'd be nothing less than happy for them. There's nothing a wrong with being excited and wanting to share the news with your friends so long as you don't do it an annoying or arrogant manner.

For me, it's hard enough to spill the fact that I've been applying to a graduate program to my friends. I guess to post in Facebook and broadcast it so publicly would be even harder. Especially because a lot of my Facebook friends are just acquaintances. I think that I'll be happy to share the news with my friends and family in person if, God-willing, the moment strikes.

you should post. especially if you get into an ivy. It should read something like "Yes, I was accepted to [XXX top school]. My self worth is officially validated. Suck it, world!" at least that's my plan.

but then again, my friends probably consider me one of the asshats in their network, to use everygirl's word. *officially integrating asshat into vocabulary*

I post my rejections on there, so I will (hopefully!) post my successes on there! For me it's just easier to tell people at once, especially as study in the US means travelling over to the other side of the world. Think my friends would notice when suddenly I stopped turning up to things... ;)

Just as what modernity said on the first page, I've had to (and still do) deal with DAILY posts bragging about pregnancies, marriages, weddings, relationships, the first time a baby farted, etc. Some (married) couples use facebook as a medium to communicate with EACH OTHER. And to think that they may feel that I am bragging about an acceptance letter is pretty biased. Personally to me, an acceptance into a graduate school is an achievement and a successful step in shaping someone's future, and I have no qualms about sharing this with my friends. I have several friends who are also applying to programs, but I can always make it so that they don't see all of my posts on newsfeed. As long as I don't rub it into anyone's face, I think it's really okay to post on facebook.

One thing I wouldn't do is announce an engagement over facebook...I think that's pretty cheesy. Sorry to anyone who has done this.

Edited by gradstudent84

I am maybe weird, but I don't share stuff that I believe are rather private on Facebook. I had a friend who had been ALL over the world, I mean ALL over! And he never had a single album or a status saying, oh I am in Madrid, or I am in Seoul..I just believe that whomever he thought should know that he is there - they knew it. No need to tell it to eeeeeeeeeeeeveryone. And he thought me something, and that is - privacy above all. So, no, I would not post it on Facebook, simply because I think that people that should know that I am moving elsewhere for school/whatever, will know if I think I should share it with them.

People use FB for different things. My friends and family live all over the world, it would be impossible to keep in touch with everyone on a regular basis. But we still want to know what's going on with one another. FB is a really easy way to do that. Who are you guys friending that you are uncomfortable with them seeing that you're in Madrid or accepted to graduate school or engaged?