Posting your acceptance on facebook

Mathk1d

I am friends with a colleague who posted his acceptances, and I was nothing but happy for him even though he was accepted to my top choice and I was rejected. Honestly, I was glad to know that acceptances had gone out for these programs, even though I was eventually rejected. I don't think it's conceited to post happy, life-altering news, even if you are friends with colleagues who are applying to the same programs.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bitter when a friend from school got some acceptances and I haven't heard anything yet. But that's only because she's kind of a cow, and I don't really like her.

I'm always super happy for my friends (you know, the ones I like) even if it turns up the anxiety haha. I will post something if I get an acceptance. Maybe something like "beelz got into grad school? *dies*. But I'd definitely call everyone close to me, if only to just keep screaming.

People use FB for different things. My friends and family live all over the world, it would be impossible to keep in touch with everyone on a regular basis. But we still want to know what's going on with one another. FB is a really easy way to do that. Who are you guys friending that you are uncomfortable with them seeing that you're in Madrid or accepted to graduate school or engaged?

I live in a small community blink.gif

Everybody knows everybody...and I am not very keen on having everybody in my private zone aka life.laugh.gif

For some reason, I didn't post anything on facebook - even though I had planned to. I was on a train when I learned about my first acceptance so I just called and sent text messages to my closest friends and family and that was it. By the time I got home and was able to get to a computer three days later, I had already told everybody who actually cared, so I just didn't see a point in putting it on facebook. I think the rest of my facebook friends will figure it out in due time. :-)

I haven't read this entire thread so I'm sure I'm repeating what others have said, but I do post my acceptances. It's not bragging or rubbing anything in people's faces, it's just a "something cool just happened to me and I'm excited" deal. My friends post about job offers all the time and some even about doing well on papers and exams. If we're all being offensive, then maybe my friends and I are just really, really conceited?

Edited by cranberry

I posted my final decision on Facebook about a week after I was notified of the acceptance. Since I've had to move around the country several times for school/work I have friends all over the country and even all over the world that I want to keep in touch with. It's simply just not practical or possible to call all of them individually. Fortunately I received a ton of positive feedback and found everyone was incredibly excited/proud/interested in the good news. So, if someone thinks I'm conceited for informing them of my whereabouts for the next 5 years via my Facebook status, then maybe they shouldn't be considered a "friend" anyway.

Edited by jetty016

I've only applied to one school, and if I am accepted, of COURSE I am posting -- it will probably be the second thing I do once I know. There are folks on my FB friends list who have been waiting for me to do this for 20+ years, not to mention all the friends who have been rooting for me while I've been applying. Posting to FB is the fastest way to let all those people know. :-) OTOH, almost none of my FB friends are applying for grad school, because most of them are errrr, done with that stage in their lives. I'm a late bloomer.

• 9 months later...

I've annoyed people with my neuroticism during the application, so much so that people I hardly ever see but are still 'facebook friends' seem to know all the places I'm applying to! Facebook is just my place to vent. I'll probably post the US results in a "joke" way come rain or come shine; but there's one prestigious course in my home country that I don't think I'll tell anyone about if I get accepted because I know a couple of people applying to the same one.

haha me too

Okay this is kind of ridiculous. If your "friends" on Facebook wouldn't be happy for you, maybe you should un-friend them? If one of your close friends might be sensitive to the news (because of their own application to the SAME program), I can understand being sly about your update. If not, brag away! You worked hard for that success!

Okay this is kind of ridiculous. If your "friends" on Facebook wouldn't be happy for you, maybe you should un-friend them? If one of your close friends might be sensitive to the news (because of their own application to the SAME program), I can understand being sly about your update. If not, brag away! You worked hard for that success!

I agree! I don't know of anyone on my friends' list who would be annoyed or think I was gloating but even if they did...screw them! I have worked damn hard to get to this point and have overcome a lot of BS along the way. I am not gonna hide my pride or be PC on Facebook. If they aren't happy for me and supportive of my success then I don't want them to be my "friend" anyway!

Posting it on FB will be one of the first things I do...mainly because that is how I keep in touch with many friends and relatives and it is a quick way to tell a lot of people who have asked me to keep them updated. Be proud and be brave! If someone begrudges your success maybe you should reconsider their true friendship.

Ok i just thought i should throw my 2 cents in to the brewing pot. There is nothing wrong with people putting up their success on Facebook as long as it doesn't look like this : "@<people who didn't get in> I got in at XYZ school you dolts. Suck it bitches."

If one were to put up a status such as "I got into XYZ for a PHD!!! I'm so excited! YAAAAAAAAAAAY!", there is nothing wrong with it. You live for yourself and for your family and friends. Not for those idiots who will feel bad if you got in somewhere. Those aren't your friends, they are your rivals and you can shouldn't give two hoots what they think. A friend will feel happy for you and you will in turn put your happiness aside and comfort them and ensure their morale stays up. The Facebook post has nothing to do with any of this and is just a place for you to put up your life for voyeurs.

So go ahead and put up a post on facebook about your success or failure. If you are conceited by nature, it will show. If you aren't, well you aren't. Eitherway, those people who look at your success and feel bad and try to make you feel bad about it are just jealous and sore. A true friend will be happy for you even though he/she is shattered. You should only reciprocate to such people.

I don't have a Facebook account, but I don't see anything wrong with sharing successes with friends (assuming Facebook "friends" are actually friends).

Personally, my only hesitation would be if I had applied to many programs (say 10+).

If I ended up having a very lucky season and received mostly acceptances, then I think I would feel a little bad posting "Got into School X!" one day, "Got into School Y!" another, and on and on, especially if I had friends awaiting acceptances of their own. And if the opposite occurred and I received mostly rejections, well, I don't think I'd want to put up multiple updates for that either, for my own sake. =P

So I think I would wait until I heard from all schools and put my results in one update or even just put "I will be starting grad school at School Z in the fall!"

I posted on facebook about my first acceptance, because I was excited and wanted to share the news with friends without texting a bunch of people individually. It wasn't a 'ha ha I got in everyone else sucks' but a 'hurrah I got my first acceptance to a PhD program!' I don't intend on posting any more acceptances unless I get into my first choice totally funded though.

Overall my opinion is that posting on fb is totally fine, especially if a lot of people know you're applying. It's an easy way to share good news, and unless you specifically post in a fashion that looks like you're bragging/demeaning others then I doubt anyone will hold it against you.

One caveat for folks who are thinking about posting or not on Facebook - whatever you post on Facebook dissipates the excitement into a bunch of "likes" and "Congrats!". It's far better to make your friends jump up, shout, and hug you when you tell them in person! Even if you have friends with whom you only communicate online, it's much better to break the news in one-on-one video or chat programs.

I don't think posting that you got into a good school is concieted- it is sharing with friends and family a life changing event.

I think posting that you just got your hair cut, are dusting, are tired etc... is concieted for assuming people really care that much about the minor details of your daily life.

Also " I got into my favorite schools" happy posts, are much less aggitating than the "I didn't get in anywhere" sad-story-cheer-me-up posts (not saying I'm not guilty from time to time, I just know I'm being obnoxious when I do it).

Completely agree with kellybean603.

When I received my acceptance via email yesterday, I posted on FB. All my friends and family are rooting for me. Plus, many of them do not live near me, so I couldn't tell them in person. Besides, that's what FB is for, just one post to let my collective supporters know what's going on in my life.

Hey people, I have an idea! New facebook timeline has an option of posting "Life Event". I think I will add it as my life event after I decide which grad school to attend. If people think it is not a "Life Event", then suck on that yo loosers :P

What do you people think?

p.s. we all need some bragging to live. After studying like crazy for 4 years, we need some occasions to rejoice.

Hey people, I have an idea! New facebook timeline has an option of posting "Life Event". I think I will add it as my life event after I decide which grad school to attend. If people think it is not a "Life Event", then suck on that yo loosers :P

What do you people think?

p.s. we all need some bragging to live. After studying like crazy for 4 years, we need some occasions to rejoice.

I think it's a great idea! If I get into one, I will do that :rolleyes:

I post what I have for lunch on fb, what music I'm listening to, what I'm doing later on that day. Why wouldn't I post what grad programs I get into?

Edited by tt503

Your real friends will always be happy for you. So, don't expect big kudos on facebook.

Perfectly acceptable to post. Depends on your personality.

But I remember when I applied to a Masters (pre-facebook, can you imagine?) - I told no one except a few close friends. A guy I knew told everyone about his application plans. Which also meant he had to tell them about all of his rejections. I've never been the type, though, to announce this kind of stuff broadly. So I didn't post my phd acceptance on facebook - I told people personally (or via email), and I emailed thank-yous to my references.

If a friend posted such news, I'd be happy for them - but I'd probably respond with a private message. FWIW.