Fall 2018 Canadian Application Prep

AlbertaUndergrad

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is doing great !!

Looks like I'm also in the same boat as rest of you. I am looking forward to apply to a couple of doctoral programs for fall, 2018 in Canada. I will be applying to both I-O psych and educational research, measurement, and evaluation programs though. 

Best of luck to everyone.

P.S. I am an international student here in the states, currently enrolled in a master's, and hopefully will be graduating this December :)

On 2/10/2017 at 8:23 AM, bradley610 said:

They're Canadian, yo.

On 2/10/2017 at 11:58 AM, mav160 said:

Did not realize that Canadians got out of taking the GRE...my bad. 

We actually have to take the GRE as well :)

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, AlbertaUndergrad said:

A question for those applying in the fall - when is a good time to email your POI? I was thinking September/October, but wasn't sure.

I'm also curious when a good time to start contacting POIs would be. I was considering starting as early as the summer around July or August, but have gotten mixed feedback. Some have said starting early is a good idea if I know who I want to contact already, but others have said emailing before September may be jumping the gun a bit. 

8 hours ago, TrindStarr said:

I'm also curious when a good time to start contacting POIs would be. I was considering starting as early as the summer around July or August, but have gotten mixed feedback. Some have said starting early is a good idea if I know who I want to contact already, but others have said emailing before September may be jumping the gun a bit. 

I would definitely start no earlier than September. 

9 hours ago, TrindStarr said:

My mentors told me to wait till the end of September, ususally by then the POI's have a good idea on funding and whether or not they can take a student. I got into contact with all of mine the first week of October and all were really awesome to respond quickly to let me know what their plans were! :)

On 2/12/2017 at 9:36 AM, FacelessMage said:

Not if you're in Quebec or Ottawa. :) 

You must mean that some French or bilingual programs don't require the GRE, right? Because there are GRE dates in Ottawa.

1 minute ago, lewin said:

You must mean that some French or bilingual programs don't require the GRE, right? Because there are GRE dates in Ottawa.

Carleton and UOttawa both don't require the GRE (even though Carleton is an English program/university). 

• 1 month later...

Already starting to freak out about upcoming applications!!! Just booked my GRE - I write the general on September 5th and waiting on results from the Psych GRE. Best of luck to you all! :)

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

I'm applying to McGill (have a supervisor lined up), UQAM and Concordia in Clinical Psych. First time applying so any advice would be useful.

I have a somewhat unconventional background: I have a bachelor of Health Sciences. But I'm doing online Athabasca courses to get all my psych credits required by L'Ordres des psychologues du Québec.

GPA is 3.7 which I worry is too low.

I have lots of work and volunteer experience in health and mental health, and I now work as an RA on a youth mental health project (very big and prestigious). I have a publication in molecular biology, but I will be presenting at a conference in October on a psych related topic so I feel my research chops are okay.

Not doing GRE because it's not required where I'm applying. 

Any input would be great, and I thought I would share my background so that others might do the same, I find it helps to get an idea of what's normal/where everyone is at.

Thanks! :)

7 minutes ago, Hellie said:

Hello all,

I'm applying to McGill (have a supervisor lined up), UQAM and Concordia in Clinical Psych. First time applying so any advice would be useful.

I have a somewhat unconventional background: I have a bachelor of Health Sciences. But I'm doing online Athabasca courses to get all my psych credits required by L'Ordres des psychologues du Québec.

GPA is 3.7 which I worry is too low.

I have lots of work and volunteer experience in health and mental health, and I now work as an RA on a youth mental health project (very big and prestigious). I have a publication in molecular biology, but I will be presenting at a conference in October on a psych related topic so I feel my research chops are okay.

Not doing GRE because it's not required where I'm applying. 

Any input would be great, and I thought I would share my background so that others might do the same, I find it helps to get an idea of what's normal/where everyone is at.

Thanks! :)

Hello!

Your research specs do look great! I think this is a big strength in your application for sure. Is your GPA your Health Sciences program GPA, or the one you're getting for your online psych courses? 

Also, McGill does require the General GRE for their Clinical Program applications :/ Here is the link to the requirements: https://www.mcgill.ca/psychology/graduate/prospective-students/admission-requirements-procedures

3 minutes ago, Neposydko said:

Hello!

Your research specs do look great! I think this is a big strength in your application for sure. Is your GPA your Health Sciences program GPA, or the one you're getting for your online psych courses? 

Also, McGill does require the General GRE for their Clinical Program applications :/ Here is the link to the requirements: https://www.mcgill.ca/psychology/graduate/prospective-students/admission-requirements-procedures

The GPA is from my Health Sci degree, not sure how I would calculate for the extra courses... wouldn't I just add them to the tally of other classes? Would appreciate some help in this area. 

McGill does not require GRE if your first language is French (which mine is!)

2 minutes ago, Hellie said:

The GPA is from my Health Sci degree, not sure how I would calculate for the extra courses... wouldn't I just add them to the tally of other classes? Would appreciate some help in this area. 

McGill does not require GRE if your first language is French (which mine is!)

Oh ok! I guess your undergrad was at a French university? 

I'm asking for the GPA because universities like to look at the grades that you got in your pre-required psych classes, since those are more indicative of your performance in the grad program later on. In fact, some even mention that they look exclusively at the psych GPA. So maybe your relevant GPA is actually way higher than 3.7? 

Regardless, the universities will take into account your psych classes, so maybe that increases your GPA?

55 minutes ago, Neposydko said:

Oh ok! I guess your undergrad was at a French university? 

I'm asking for the GPA because universities like to look at the grades that you got in your pre-required psych classes, since those are more indicative of your performance in the grad program later on. In fact, some even mention that they look exclusively at the psych GPA. So maybe your relevant GPA is actually way higher than 3.7? 

Regardless, the universities will take into account your psych classes, so maybe that increases your GPA?

Yes, I studied in French at uOttawa. Hmm that is interesting! My psych classes will for sure improve my GPA if that is the case. The only reason it is lower is from all the chemistry courses I took. Thanks for your input! Really appreciate it :)

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Hellie said:

Does anyone know if Ryerson requires GRE? It doesn't seem like it from the website. http://www.ryerson.ca/psychology/programs/graduate/admission-requirements/ 

Yes, they do.  

http://www.ryerson.ca/psychology/programs/graduate/how-to-apply/

http://www.ryerson.ca/psychology/programs/graduate/how-to-apply/gre-scores/

Edited by Piagetsky

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know whether my GRE in psychology taken on Oct. 2015 is still valid for McGill? Although ETS declares GRE score is valid for 5 years, It is bizarre that the university's webpage states any test score must be less than 2 years while the department's webpage does not say so. I'm so worried about it... Thank you in advance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - Im from the US and am potentially interested in applying to York (strong emphasis in clinical neuropsych). Does anyone have any feedback on how this university is regarded nationally? Im not anticipating that its the Harvard of Canada, just trying to get a better idea of the curriculum in comparison to other schools. I am aware that it is also no longer APA accredited which is worrisome for internship placement so this option is still "marinating" so to speak.

any feedback appreciated, thanks!