2010 Religion PhD Results

getmeout

Not to be a downer, but I was accepted to the MA at U of T on Monday and my status on the website also still says Under Review.

Yes, this is what I meant by my previous comment. The "status" thing may or may not change.

I thought about e-mailing the UofT grad admin at work all day. I could send a general inquiry, but if no one has posted a PhD acceptance, or rejection, I think it's a bit premature.

Also, my intent is to get the bottom of the "short-list" e-mail. Unless I can confirm 100% that the e-mail went to PhD applicants, as well, I don't want to confuse them.

So, that's my reasoning, at this point. Not that I feel any better . . .

Edited by peppermint.beatnik

Yes, this is what I meant by my previous comment. The "status" thing may or may not change.

I thought about e-mailing the UofT grad admin at work all day. I could send a general inquiry, but if no one has posted a PhD acceptance, or rejection, I think it's a bit premature.

Also, my intent is to get the bottom of the "short-list" e-mail. Unless I can confirm 100% that the e-mail went to PhD applicants, as well, I don't want to confuse them.

I got an email from the admin today saying that my package (for the MA program) is in the mail. You should hear soon!

What's the deal with UVA, anyone heard anything? I applied to TEC and am waiting to hear back.

As per UVA:

I don't know if it's poor form or what, but I gave in and emailed a prof with whom I've been in contact:

Couldn't tell me anything officially but they made 3 offers and are waiting for responses before they make more decisions. Budget outlook is bleak for any further admits. Yuck.

What's the deal with UVA, anyone heard anything? I applied to TEC and am waiting to hear back.

I emailed and asked about UVA as well. The response I got went as follows:

"Your application still has no decision. I can tell you that the initial PhD offers have been extended and 3 have accepted and 10 have not responded to date. I also sent out the waitlist letters on the 17th of February, of which

2 have accepted elsewhere.

Being Spring Break week, there will be no more decisions made before the week of the 22nd.

I will notify everyone of the decisions as soon as they are made."

I don't know if that helps much or not, but my hopes for getting into UVA are pretty slight at this point. Peace.

To people interested in a response from UofT Religion (which can't just be me!)--I e-mailed the graduate admin assistant today. Here is my e-mail followed by her response:

Dear Ms. Hashemi,

I applied to [the] Ph.D. programme at the Centre. I am wondering if you could inform me of the timeline for a response

Thank you for [your] time, [i forgot to put "the" and "your" in the email; don't think she'll hold it against me, or I should hope! I wrote it at work and was distracted]

peppermint

Hello peppermint,

Our graduate director hopes to review the admission files again by the end of this week so we should have some news then.

Fereshteh

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I didn't mention the short-list e-mails, or anything, because I couldn't confirm if they went to PhD applicants.

Just got the nod from U Denver/Iliff's PhD program (TPCT focus) on Monday, so that makes two acceptances so far. That one came out of left field, really; I applied thinking it was a certain rejection (what's a good school going to want with a religion/literature mongrel like me, etc). So it came as a major surprise. The other is the Interfield program (English & Religion) at Claremont Graduate University, which came through a couple of weeks ago.

The rejections were mostly predictable: Princeton, Yale, OSU. The OSU rejection hurt, since that was probably my top pick. But I kind of saw the Ivy rejections coming.

Still waiting on UC Riverside (PhD) and UC Santa Barbara (MA/PhD). UCR was such a spectacular fit; I had a blast when I visited, and everyone was so encouraging. It's a great environment for the grad students (even if I did spend half my day getting exceedingly lost on that campus).

I've been told that waiting this long is a good sign. I've also been told that it's a bad sign. Either way, I'd like to know sometime soon. Please? Because at this point, my mailman has got to think I'm stalking him.

To people interested in a response from UofT Religion (which can't just be me!)--I e-mailed the graduate admin assistant today. Here is my e-mail followed by her response:

Dear Ms. Hashemi,

I applied to [the] Ph.D. programme at the Centre. I am wondering if you could inform me of the timeline for a response

Thank you for [your] time, [i forgot to put "the" and "your" in the email; don't think she'll hold it against me, or I should hope! I wrote it at work and was distracted]

peppermint

Hello peppermint,

Our graduate director hopes to review the admission files again by the end of this week so we should have some news then.

Fereshteh

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I didn't mention the short-list e-mails, or anything, because I couldn't confirm if they went to PhD applicants.

I received another [unprompted] e-mail from the graduate admin assistant:

Dear peppermint,

I'm afraid all the news I have is that you are still on the waiting list. We should have more news by the end of next week.

Take care

Fereshteh

Does anyone have any insight into how they run their waiting list? Have any offers been made? What are my chances?

I received another [unprompted] e-mail from the graduate admin assistant:

Dear peppermint,

I'm afraid all the news I have is that you are still on the waiting list. We should have more news by the end of next week.

Take care

Fereshteh

Does anyone have any insight into how they run their waiting list? Have any offers been made? What are my chances?

Hmmmm... Based on that it's my assumption that offers went out to PhD students at the same time as offers went out to the MA's, based on the fact that there were PhD's at the Visit Day (according to LisaTO) and that someone posted about being waitlisted for the PhD after the shortlist e-mail (think he/she took shortlisted for waitlisted). The offer requested a reply by today, so hopefully those who are declining the first round offers did so, so then they should soon know how many more spots they have opening up, and then make offers to waitlisted folks.

Hmmmm... Based on that it's my assumption that offers went out to PhD students at the same time as offers went out to the MA's, based on the fact that there were PhD's at the Visit Day (according to LisaTO) and that someone posted about being waitlisted for the PhD after the shortlist e-mail (think he/she took shortlisted for waitlisted). The offer requested a reply by today, so hopefully those who are declining the first round offers did so, so then they should soon know how many more spots they have opening up, and then make offers to waitlisted folks.

This would make perfect sense if someone had posted a PhD acceptance for the programme. I find it extremely weird that no one has, based on past year's postings. Also, no one can confirm if the short list e-mail was mailed to PhD applicants. I also don't know what to make of the wait-list posting, earlier--I guess it doesn't add up for me. Maybe this year is an anomaly.

The grad admin said they were still reviewing files, which leads me to speculate that they haven't made any offers. I've made all but the last cut, which will happen when the committee meets again.

I really don't know. I'm not good with uncertainty, so I obsess over what may be going on.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid the rest of us are just stuck on waitlists :D. Not much movement this year folks.

Accepted into UC Riverside for religious studies, but still waiting on UC Riverside for English and UC Santa Barbara for religious studies. I'm pretty sure it's a wait-listing kind of thing, although UCR English is notorious for rejecting but never getting back to people. UCSB, well, who knows?

Question: If I've accepted UCR but have two decisions pending, do I contact them and tell them to cut me loose, whatever the outcome?

(Clarification: tell the other programs to cut me loose, because I've already made my decision.)

Edited by Infinite Monkeys

Accepted into UC Riverside for religious studies, but still waiting on UC Riverside for English and UC Santa Barbara for religious studies. I'm pretty sure it's a wait-listing kind of thing, although UCR English is notorious for rejecting but never getting back to people. UCSB, well, who knows?

Question: If I've accepted UCR but have two decisions pending, do I contact them and tell them to cut me loose, whatever the outcome?

(Clarification: tell the other programs to cut me loose, because I've already made my decision.)

If you're sure, I don't see why you shouldn't write to them and tell them that you'd like to withdraw your application. It'll speed along the decision process for others and you don't necessarily have to explain to them why you're withdrawing if you'd prefer not. Once you have the right fit, you have it and there's no sense in delaying.

I have accepted Baylor's offer for theology/ethics. Looking forward to having a beer with Ken Starr.

I still have to say 'no' to Marquette and Loyola (for those on the waitlist) and I will be withdrawing my application from Dayton. Best of luck to everyone!

I have accepted Baylor's offer for theology/ethics. Looking forward to having a beer with Ken Starr.

I still have to say 'no' to Marquette and Loyola (for those on the waitlist) and I will be withdrawing my application from Dayton. Best of luck to everyone!

Sweet! I may be down in Waco with you (I'm still waiting on the wait list at Duke).

Sweet! I may be down in Waco with you (I'm still waiting on the wait list at Duke).

Hey Mike, that's great to hear. If I was in your position I'd be waiting on Duke too.

Do you know anyone else who was offered/accepted at Baylor? I know of one in NT, but that's it.