2010 Religion PhD Results

getmeout

I got a phone call to talk about my app. It was like a mini-interview. She said they're delayed in the process and notifications will be sent out a little later. I couldn't feel out what she thought of me or where I stood admittance/rejection-wise.

ahhhhhhh

Thisistheyear,

Which program called you?

I'm one of the Yale admits, in ancient Christianity! I got a call on Thursday night, and it sounded like decisions had just been made then.

I'm currently at the Notre Dame interview weekend, and have spoken to a few different people here who received offers from Marquette about a week ago. I'm surprised there is nothing on the results board yet, but it does sound like at least a first group of decisions have been made...

I'm one of the Yale admits, in ancient Christianity! I got a call on Thursday night, and it sounded like decisions had just been made then.

I'm currently at the Notre Dame interview weekend, and have spoken to a few different people here who received offers from Marquette about a week ago. I'm surprised there is nothing on the results board yet, but it does sound like at least a first group of decisions have been made...

Congratulations, Febronia! That's an amazing accomplishment!

Got e-mail notification tonight that I'm on the shortlist at the University of Toronto. Final decisions are still forthcoming but they've invited those on the shortlist to the campus visit.

I noticed another person posted on the Results Page re: U of T Religion tonight, saying that they were waitlisted. Want to come forward? I'm really curious if we got the same e-mail but we're interpreting it differently. I'm taking being shortlisted as different from being waitlisted (assuming shortlisted means that they've narrowed down the number of candidates but haven't yet made a final decision, whereas waitlisted would mean they've offered admission to others and I'm in if enough of them decline).

Edited by johndiligent

Hey, congratulations! That's terrific!!

Got e-mail notification tonight that I'm on the shortlist at the University of Toronto. Final decisions are still forthcoming but they've invited those on the shortlist to the campus visit.

I noticed another person posted on the Results Page re: U of T Religion tonight, saying that they were waitlisted. Want to come forward? I'm really curious if we got the same e-mail but we're interpreting it differently. I'm taking being shortlisted as different from being waitlisted (assuming shortlisted means that they've narrowed down the number of candidates but haven't yet made a final decision, whereas waitlisted would mean they've offered admission to others and I'm in if enough of them decline).

I applied to Toronto as well, but did not receive an email today or yesterday. Did you apply to the MA or PhD program? At St. Michael's or University of Toronto Dept. of Religion? And, what field?

Ah :) Good thing I've still got a sense of humor about all of this! Thank you for the info about Marquette. For all you sucka's wanting Marquette as a safe school, back off yo :)

And rock on! Big congrats about Yale and hope you have a great weekend at ND.

I applied to Toronto as well, but did not receive an email today or yesterday. Did you apply to the MA or PhD program? At St. Michael's or University of Toronto Dept. of Religion? And, what field?

MA in Religion, through U of T Department of Religion. Field: Religions of Mediterranean Antiquity.

Just wanted to share this because I wish someone had told me this a year ago. If you want to strengthen your application for next year and can't fit a course into your schedule that you have to physically attend, University of Arkansas has a distance learning course in PhD level German for Reading and French for Reading. It's fairly inexpensive too, about $320 for either one. These are go-at-your-own-pace courses and you have a good amount of time to complete it. Fully transferable college credit courses. I'm taking a German distance learning course from LSU right now because i didn't know about these reading courses from UA. For what it's worth, the 2 PhD programs I got accepted to this year both commented on how they really liked the fact that I was already doing German and that it made my application look a LOT better.

I deferred from Marquette last year and was in contact with the department last week. They said that decisions were made, and would be mailed out at the end of the week (i.e., yesterday). So you should hear from them in a week or so.

Last year they contacted people via email/application site, so that may be the difference in the time.

Hope this helps assuage any anxiety!

I applied to U of T Centre for the Study of Religion, PhD. I did not receive an e-mail either. I've never heard of them doing this before, so it be something they decided to do this year.

Does that mean if you don't receive the e-mail you can assume rejection? How long do we have to wait? If it's a short-list and not a wait-list, why wouldn't they just wait to notify people when they accept them? Schools don't normally tell you that you're on a "short-list" of possible candidates in a departmental e-mail.

I just don't want to be in limbo for another three weeks--would rather know now.

I applied to U of T Centre for the Study of Religion, PhD. I did not receive an e-mail either. I've never heard of them doing this before, so it be something they decided to do this year.

Does that mean if you don't receive the e-mail you can assume rejection? How long do we have to wait? If it's a short-list and not a wait-list, why wouldn't they just wait to notify people when they accept them? Schools don't normally tell you that you're on a "short-list" of possible candidates in a departmental e-mail.

I just don't want to be in limbo for another three weeks--would rather know now.

Here's pretty much verbatim what they sent me:

Dear John,

I'm writing to let you know that our admissions committee has met, and we were very impressed with your application. At this point, we have placed you on a short list for admission to our MA program, and we will let you know as soon as possible if we are able to make a formal offer of admission. If you are interested in visiting our Department, we are hosting a Campus Visit Day on Friday March 5th... etc, etc.

Best wishes,

Pamela Klassen

---------------------------------

Here's what I think it means: they sent these out to the people on the shortlist but, I think, only for the MA programme. I think they're doing this because they're not sure how many MA students they'll be able to admit and won't know until they have some idea how many of their PhD admits are going to accept, but they still want to give MA candidates who have an outside shot of being offered admission a chance to visit.

I don't think it would make any sense to tell PhD students that they're shortlisted for the reasons you mentioned. The only thing that blows my theory is the fact that someone posted on the Results page about being Wailisted for the PhD on the same day that I got my e-mail.

Yeah, it actually sounds like we're safe. I checked my application status on the website and it said "under review", which, according to the website, means that no final decision has yet been made with respect to the application. Based on the Results from the last couple years on this site and the app. website, results will not come out until mid March. I am hoping we don't nudge each other out of position, though! Best of luck!