2010 Religion PhD Results

getmeout

Satori, my condolences. This is a really gross year, admissions-wise. angry.gif Are there any funded M* programs whose deadlines haven't passed yet? Or maybe a yearlong intensive language program that could help your application for next time?

Thanks. Yeah, I picked an awfully difficult year to apply. I've heard from several faculty now that they're receiving more applications than normal... as it turns out, when we have a recession, a lot of people look to head back to school. Hopefully next year will be better.

Since I already have my master's, I don't really need another... the foreign language bit is a good idea though. I'll definitely be working on that, whether formally or not.

congrats on Notre Dame, medieval studies! That's a great program! But its not the theology department right? I was there this weekend for the interview and they told us it would be later this week at the earliest that we'd know. Best of luck everyone else.

Thanks, everyone--I am still pretty stunned and, well, delirious. And yup, medieval studies, not theology. They said they would notify us Monday, and indeed they did (or, at least, me ;)). I was actually sort of hoping that we would get to meet the prospective theology students at the interview last week, but alas.

One of the theology profs whom we did meet mentioned that they were bringing in 5 candidates for History of Christianity and planning either to accept two or hoping to yield two (so maybe accept three...he waffled a little), and I vaguely recall something about 4 spaces available for biblical studies, but I don't know anything about systematics or moral. I wish the absolute best of luck to you and the other ND applicants here! I think the post-interview wait was the worst...ugh, I could barely breathe.

Oh, dang, GOOD LUCK to everyone. I have withdrawn my last app, so whatever good luck I had for that one I am hereby distributing to all of you. For what it's worth.

Thanks, everyone--I am still pretty stunned and, well, delirious. And yup, medieval studies, not theology. They said they would notify us Monday, and indeed they did (or, at least, me ;)). I was actually sort of hoping that we would get to meet the prospective theology students at the interview last week, but alas.

One of the theology profs whom we did meet mentioned that they were bringing in 5 candidates for History of Christianity and planning either to accept two or hoping to yield two (so maybe accept three...he waffled a little), and I vaguely recall something about 4 spaces available for biblical studies, but I don't know anything about systematics or moral. I wish the absolute best of luck to you and the other ND applicants here! I think the post-interview wait was the worst...ugh, I could barely breathe.

Oh, dang, GOOD LUCK to everyone. I have withdrawn my last app, so whatever good luck I had for that one I am hereby distributing to all of you. For what it's worth.

the post interview is agonizing! I had a very positive email from my potential advisor but I dont want to read into it too much.

Well, of course I'm dying to. :D Notre Dame, for medieval studies. (I am sorry for yesterday's obfuscation--I had very legitimate concerns about a person I know in meatspace, who, I found out yesterday, has given up reading TGC for Lent).

Major congratulations to Febronia on Yale and Postbib on Iliff, and the weird congrats/good-luck to the SMU and Toronto waitlistees! (I am sure I am missing someone; congrats to you as well!)

Satori, my condolences. This is a really gross year, admissions-wise. :angry: Are there any funded M* programs whose deadlines haven't passed yet? Or maybe a yearlong intensive language program that could help your application for next time?

Good luck to everyone waiting on Drew! That is a terrific program; I hope it works out.

Congratulations!! Enjoy South Bend!

If this helps, I know that the CJA faculty are meeting on Wednesday afternoon...

Received acceptance from Union Theological Seminary (NYC) for The Bible Consortium (New Testament). Includes full tuition and $16,500 stipend. Have also been accepted to DU/Iliff's Joint PhD program (don't have all financial info yet from them). Concerned about cost of living in NYC but my husband works so it may be doable.

Thumbnail, is that Dr. Wood?

Also, what program did you apply for? I was wait-listed for the "religion and Culture" program, even after fairly positive, in-person contacts with Wood and Reiger in the Fall.

Yes, it was Dr. Wood. He indicated that he would be retiring soon, Bruce Marshall taking over as director of the program at that point. Dr. Wood and I have been in conversation - his helpfulness is matched only by his kindness - for a few years now and I will be sad to see him go. Aside from him, though, I'm most interested in working with Dr. Marshall (I applied with a systematic theology specialization). Fortunately he's incredibly generous as well - he was quite good-humored when he visited our seminar at Duke and I had been selected to present on Trinity and Truth. We'll see what happens with my remaining applications, I guess. Thanks for asking, Postbib Yeshuist. Peace.

Received acceptance from Union Theological Seminary (NYC) for The Bible Consortium (New Testament). Includes full tuition and $16,500 stipend. Have also been accepted to DU/Iliff's Joint PhD program (don't have all financial info yet from them). Concerned about cost of living in NYC but my husband works so it may be doable.

How did you hear from Union?

How did you hear from Union?

I see that you applied to Drew as well. I am waiting to hear from them as well. It seems like those letters may be on the way (from what previous posts indicate)!

Ooh! Congratulations. :)

Fingers crossed for everyone waiting on Drew and ND!

I think that when I applied to Marquette for the MA 2 years ago, I heard back in mid-March (acceptance). But, that was then. Good luck to you all as well.

anyone hear anything about harvard divinity mts?

I'm a graduate from Harvard's MTS program, and I can tell you that I didn't get a letter of admission from them until mid-march, so don't worry. I think they make doctoral selections first and then proceed to master's candidates.

Yes, it was Dr. Wood. He indicated that he would be retiring soon, Bruce Marshall taking over as director of the program at that point. Dr. Wood and I have been in conversation - his helpfulness is matched only by his kindness - for a few years now and I will be sad to see him go. Aside from him, though, I'm most interested in working with Dr. Marshall (I applied with a systematic theology specialization). Fortunately he's incredibly generous as well - he was quite good-humored when he visited our seminar at Duke and I had been selected to present on Trinity and Truth. We'll see what happens with my remaining applications, I guess. Thanks for asking, Postbib Yeshuist. Peace.

Thanks for the response thumbnail. Yeah, I was similarly impressed by Dr. Wodd. Such a calm, collected fellow.

Congratulations on your acceptance. I'm beginning to think they may have decided to use the money for Systematic applicants and us "Religion & Culture" apps got left to the side ;) (they said they still weren't sure where the program was going). I would encourage you to to do something with Jeorg Reiger if possible. He's an absolute genius on the empire & theology front, if that's your cup of tea.