2010 Religion PhD Results

getmeout

Thanks everyone. So it seems that I didn't get interviews at Vandy or Emory, and Notre Dame failed to call me yesterday. My "waiting to hear from" list is being picked off slowly by the sniper named silence...

But it just takes one. I'd be very happy to go to Baylor, so now I just gotta make sure I don't screw up this interview.

Best of luck at Vandy!

I've got an interview at Baylor this weekend too (for New Testament). See you there!

Someone inside the Notre Dame theology department told me that phone calls for inviting applicants to the interview weekend will continue through this weekend. Also, he/she told me that if you do not hear from ND by Sunday then you are out.

Oh the anxiety!!!!

Someone inside the Notre Dame theology department told me that phone calls for inviting applicants to the interview weekend will continue through this weekend. Also, he/she told me that if you do not hear from ND by Sunday then you are out.

Do you have any idea if this is the case across departments or just for systematic theology? Any idea if Liturgical Studies is operating on the same timeline?

I know this is for Ph.D results, but I figured I'd share mine - I got in for an MA at FSU in Religion (Religions of Western Antiquity).

That's excellent news! Do you have funding as well? (I saw the post on the results board, but wasn't positive if it was you.) Funded master's programs are a thing of great beauty and relative rarity, so that would be awesome.

I know this is for Ph.D results, but I figured I'd share mine - I got in for an MA at FSU in Religion (Religions of Western Antiquity).

(A) Yay! Go you!

(B) I vote "unofficial thread title change." ;o) (Or more like, I unilaterally declare an unofficial thread title change...)

That's excellent news! Do you have funding as well? (I saw the post on the results board, but wasn't positive if it was you.) Funded master's programs are a thing of great beauty and relative rarity, so that would be awesome.

Hey - it's full tuition plus a fellowship. All the financial stuff should be covered in the packet I get sometime this week. The professor wasn't exactly sure how much it is.

Funded MA's are really hard to come by. FSU seems to really respect their MA students (I know a lot who get to do some pretty serious teaching in their second year). I think this program will serve to make me a stronger candidate for Ph.D programs in a couple of years.

To everyone else: Thanks so much for the congrats. I got Duke's rejection around lunch today and that just took the wind out of my sails. This phone call was unexpected and very nice.

Hey - it's full tuition plus a fellowship. All the financial stuff should be covered in the packet I get sometime this week. The professor wasn't exactly sure how much it is.

Funded MA's are really hard to come by. FSU seems to really respect their MA students (I know a lot who get to do some pretty serious teaching in their second year). I think this program will serve to make me a stronger candidate for Ph.D programs in a couple of years.

To everyone else: Thanks so much for the congrats. I got Duke's rejection around lunch today and that just took the wind out of my sails. This phone call was unexpected and very nice.

Sorry to hear about Duke. I know you were really pumped about working there. Still, everything works out for the best, I'm sure.

Do you have any idea if this is the case across departments or just for systematic theology? Any idea if Liturgical Studies is operating on the same timeline?

What he/she said implied that this is the case across at least some of the areas of concentration. Nothing was said about any area having completed its notifications for the interview weekend. I advise you to maintain some degree of hope until you either get a call (in which case you need no longer hope) or do not receive a call by Sunday night.

Congrats dude! That's awesome. You really seem to be one of the most enthusiastic, put together kid on this board. You know with Duke's numbers how capricious they can be (especially considering many people probably already have the MA). One acceptance will at least let you breathe. And since its an MA, gives you insurance that if you don't like your other acceptances (which I'm sure will come) you can always try again in a few years. Congratulations again!

LateAntique, CONGRATULATIONS on your FSU acceptance! I appreciate your posts and am so happy and excited for you!

j.d.--did you resolve your LOR issue?

Haha, mostly. The recommender has now sent two of six (Why he didn't send them all at once when they were all overdue still boggles me a bit) and the rest were reputedly couriered today. I've heard that before but the fact that at least some of them have been sent augurs well.

Thanks again - I couldn't have gotten through this process without you guys on this board. It's nice to have an outlet like this.

Also - I was wondering who the FSU Religion Ph.D admit is? What's your subfield?

LateAntique,

Hi, I was the one who posted the acceptance for PhD at FSU. My field is Religions of Western Antiquity.

Congratulations on your acceptance!

Good luck everyone!