Playwriting MFAs

dampka

First time posting this cycle so congrats to everyone for getting up the courage/material/willpower to apply! We are all the next generation of American playwrights (except those of us who aren't american) and I'm proud to be in community with all of you (even if it's a weird digital community)

Wanted to ask if folks knew wether or not Juilliard does interviews? I'm pretty sure the other two I applied to (Hunter and Brooklyn) don't so I'm just playing the waiting game lol.

1 hour ago, Ezra Brain said:

First time posting this cycle so congrats to everyone for getting up the courage/material/willpower to apply! We are all the next generation of American playwrights (except those of us who aren't american) and I'm proud to be in community with all of you (even if it's a weird digital community)

Wanted to ask if folks knew wether or not Juilliard does interviews? I'm pretty sure the other two I applied to (Hunter and Brooklyn) don't so I'm just playing the waiting game lol.

@Ezra BrainWelcome to the 2022 waiting game! Not sure about Juilliard. Pretty sure Hunter does do interviews based on reading back on this long and winding thread but, as you say, Brooklyn does not. But this is my first cycle so others will know more. 

Juilliard does do interviews. They generally get to a list of like 18 semifinalists that they interview, mostly to see whether you're a cool person or not. This generally happens around April-May I believe. Then they pick around 12 finalists and send their plays to the heads of the program David Lindsay-Abaire and Tanya Barfield to read. Then pick around 4-5 people for the program (although it's only been 4 for the last several years).

13 hours ago, Solitude said:

Hello!! 

New here. Wondering if anyone knows if Brown gives interviews. Has anyone gotten one? Did they email you or call?

Good luck to everyone

Brown does do interviews! I don't think they have gone out yet! Last year I interviewed with them and they emailed me to set up the interview. 

On 2/14/2022 at 9:24 AM, Zebras4Ever said:

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone on here had heard from UT Austin / Michener yet. In the past it looks like they notified finalists at the beginning of Feb. so I assume they’ve picked people already

I haven't heard from UT yet either

Edited by ozzyozzy

On 2/16/2022 at 11:26 AM, ZoraNeale2021 said:

Has anyone heard from UCSD? ? The waiting game is agonizing.

Hey! Yeah, it looks like they're really behind this year. I know they just started discussing applications last weekend, meanwhile I found out I was accepted a year ago this week. I'll try to find out next week what's up!

Got accepted to The New School this morning and also just got a rejection status update from Yale. I was totally expecting to be rejected from Yale because my application for them was a mess, but I'm curious because in the letter they said they encourage me to apply again after gaining more professional experience. Just wondering if they tell that to everyone they don't accept or if it genuinely means I need more professional experience. Would love to know if anyone else got that update from Yale today! 

Also congrats everyone on the interviews!

Hey y’all! I’ve been accepted to two programs so far (Hollins and the Savannah College of Art and Design) but I’m really holding out to hear from Brown and Brooklyn College. Has anyone heard back from them? I’m very panicky and worried about being ghosted since this is my first time applying for grad school and everything feels new and unsure! 

Hey everyone! I just had my interview with Northwestern so thought I'd give everyone else a heads up about what to expect!

It was just the four core faculty members, they were super friendly and chill and had all read my sample and essay. They asked about how I think about myself as a writer, how I'd work in a cohort/give feedback, and what kind of shows/plays/movies I've seen that I liked or disliked based on how I see myself as an artist. I asked them two questions and that was it! It was about 20 minutes. Good luck everyone!!! 

12 hours ago, JustWantToWrite said:

Hey y’all! I’ve been accepted to two programs so far (Hollins and the Savannah College of Art and Design) but I’m really holding out to hear from Brown and Brooklyn College. Has anyone heard back from them? I’m very panicky and worried about being ghosted since this is my first time applying for grad school and everything feels new and unsure! 

I haven't heard back from Brown either! I didn't apply to Brooklyn though so I can't be any help there. 

Congrats all! 

Had my interview with Carnegie Mellon and also got the NYU interview request this week :) 

@seasickmermaid I also got the Yale rejection with the same wording so I'm assuming it's generic? Weird wording.

Has anyone heard from Hunter yet? 

Edited by Mel Rose

13 hours ago, Mel Rose said:

Congrats all! 

Had my interview with Carnegie Mellon and also got the NYU interview request this week :) 

@seasickmermaid I also got the Yale rejection with the same wording so I'm assuming it's generic? Weird wording.

Has anyone heard from Hunter yet? 

Thanks, that's useful information! I got a NYU interview request last night, so I guess they don't send all the requests out at once! Has anyone interviewed there before or does anyone know what to expect?

42 minutes ago, seasickmermaid said:

Thanks, that's useful information! I got a NYU interview request last night, so I guess they don't send all the requests out at once! Has anyone interviewed there before or does anyone know what to expect?

I interviewed with NYU last year as well. I think it can vary greatly based on who you are interviewing with, but it is very much a split of them interviewing you AND you interviewing them, so don't be afraid to ask questions! I don't know how heavily the interviews are actually weighted in terms of admission, as some of the faculty interviewers have mentioned they are not on the admission committee, but nonetheless, I had great conversation last year and learned a lot about the program. It feels very much about trying to see if the program is a match for what you are hoping to get out of grad school, and making sure those goals are aligned. Hope this helps!