Master's Admissions 2017(MA,MTS, ThM or Mdiv)

Johnny.S

On 3/5/2017 at 0:09 AM, suhba7 said:

@ibn daoud It's totally fine, thanks for the clarification! I'm guessing we will all hear sometime early next week. Best of luck!! 

Likewise! I'll make sure to send positive vibes for you until we hear back!

yeeaah! I was coming here to tell everyone to wake up and check their emails! I got into the MDiv program as well! God is great. I haven't cried out of happiness in a long time. Congrats everyone!

I also found this out as I was getting ready to eat an entire cheese pizza all by myself. So here I am, excited beyond belief, getting pizza sauce all over my bed.

Edited by ibn daoud

Just now, franz said:

Congratulations @suhba7 and @ibn daoud!

And @Johnny.S, thanks, but 50% is still great funding!

Very happy we all made it! How many of you are planning to attend? Are you waiting til HDS results come out to think seriously about it?

I'm visiting HDS currently and have to say I don't feel as strongly about the program as I did at Chicago, but my reasons are strictly based on the MDiv program itself (I know most of you (all?) are applying for masters). Granted, it's Harvard, and the program is still top-notch, but I think personally I would be a better fit at UChicago and the work I wish to do would be more appropriate there as well.

6 minutes ago, ibn daoud said:

Very happy we all made it! How many of you are planning to attend? Are you waiting til HDS results come out to think seriously about it?

I'm visiting HDS currently and have to say I don't feel as strongly about the program as I did at Chicago, but my reasons are strictly based on the MDiv program itself (I know most of you (all?) are applying for masters). Granted, it's Harvard, and the program is still top-notch, but I think personally I would be a better fit at UChicago and the work I wish to do would be more appropriate there as well.

I'm going to wait until I hear from YDS and Notre Dame and visit the programs I get into. At the moment, between Duke and Chicago, I think I'd pick Chicago. I think it's a better fit. I also applied to a FLAS fellowship at Chicago, and the results of that might influence things as well. So, at the moment, I'm waiting to learn more but leaning toward Chicago.

1 hour ago, ibn daoud said:

I'm also happy for you all. 

As for me, I'm slightly leaning toward Duke. I wished I could get more than 60% from Chicago, but it didn't turn out as I'd hoped.  Both programs are great and they also have striking differences, merits, and demerits. But because Duke's graduate program in religion offers more fitable subfield and tailored(personalized) academic guidance, for now, I'd choose Duke. 

But, just like Franz, I'm going to wait HDS too.  While HDS' has the least appealing program for me(because of my background in Theology and my intention of pursuing careers in Religious Studies after all, I strongly prefer religious studies- oriented program, than Theology-centered programs and faculties), but they have a decent scholarship and a brand value. So who knows? 

20 minutes ago, Johnny.S said:

But, just like Franz, I'm going to wait HDS too.  While HDS' has the least appealing program for me(because of my background in Theology and my intention of pursuing careers in Religious Studies after all, I strongly prefer religious studies- oriented program, than Theology-centered programs and faculties), but they have a decent scholarship and a brand value. So who knows? 

Would you say Duke is more theology focused whereas Chicago leans more towards religious studies?

34 minutes ago, misterrager said:

Would you say Duke is more theology focused whereas Chicago leans more towards religious studies?

As far as I'm concerned, I put curriculum and faculty's interest first and I prefer non-theological academic program.

And when it comes to Duke and Chicago, I think Duke's graduate program in religion offers more diverse dialogue in my subfield, although it would be a tough call.    

So, I would say Duke is slightly more religious-studies focused than Chicago, in particular from my viewpoint and interest. 

Edited by Johnny.S

@ibn daoud I'm leaning towards University of Chicago because I think it really meshes well with my research interests (in Islamic Studies). That said, I'm still waiting to hear from HDS and if they offer a stipend in addition to full tuition I would very seriously consider it. 

Congrats everyone! 

Fingers crossed for HDS. 

For those of you who have applied to FLAS at various schools, do you know how it works? Do they email you/mail you seperately? Do you find out from the school financial aid office?

14 hours ago, ibn daoud said:

Even though Harvard is great, UC is a top rated program currently, and graduates are getting jobs.  They have amazing research and many students work on publications there.  They didn't have my area of interest there, but I did look into it when I was starting my journey looking for graduate schools.

I think we all just want to know if we're HDS material.  Haha!

17 hours ago, franz said:

I'm going to wait until I hear from YDS and Notre Dame and visit the programs I get into. At the moment, between Duke and Chicago, I think I'd pick Chicago. I think it's a better fit. I also applied to a FLAS fellowship at Chicago, and the results of that might influence things as well. So, at the moment, I'm waiting to learn more but leaning toward Chicago.

The choice is clear- I used to live in Chicago, and those winters are an abomination. Take the warm weather offer Duke offer.

(disclaimer- all advice is offered in jest.)

Edited by 918Philosophizer

44 minutes ago, 918Philosophizer said:

The choice is clear- I used to live in Chicago, and those winters are an abomination. Take the warm weather offer Duke offer.

(disclaimer- all advice is offered in jest.)

Ah, but I grew up in a harsh region of the northern Upper Midwest, where we view cold winters as a character building blessing or something like that.

(On the other hand, this might be even more reason for some to flee to warmer climates.)

1 hour ago, franz said:

Ah, but I grew up in a harsh region of the northern Upper Midwest, where we view cold winters as a character building blessing or something like that.

I see...a glutton for punishment, then. There's nothing more we can do for you- godspeed.

What Is UChicago's reputation in comparison to Ivies such as YDS and HDS? Does a M* degree from there set students up for admission to top tier PhD programs? What are the major differences between YDS and Chicago specifically.

11 hours ago, misterrager said:

What Is UChicago's reputation in comparison to Ivies such as YDS and HDS? Does a M* degree from there set students up for admission to top tier PhD programs? What are the major differences between YDS and Chicago specifically.

Overall Chicago's reputation in terms of academic rigor is the same as YDS or HDS in my opinion. A degree from Chicago, HDS, or Yale will put you in the same place, although this may vary by field (for instance, I take it that YDS is best of the three in Biblical Studies, whereas Chicago might be better in Philosophy of Religion).

The M.Div program at Chicago is quite small and they're more focused on the MA program and academic preparation rather than training ministers/non-profit workers. Yale has a pretty robust M.Div program as well as a strong MAR programs, so theres more of a balance between professional and and academic pursuits. 

I take it Yale is a more explicitly Christian environment than HDS or Chicago: YDS is officially unaffiliated with a denomination and is very ecumenical, but has something of a connection to the Episcopal Church through the Berkeley School of Theology. Chicago and Harvard have more of an inter-religious environment (more so with HDS than Chicago I take it).

I think you've mentioned being in Ethics on these forums before. All three schools would be excellent in that regard; in my program I know people with degrees from all three schools. My pick might of the three would YDS for Ethics, however you can't go wrong with any of the three and the decision has to take into account funding and your particular interests.

On 3/7/2017 at 7:59 AM, BeeKayCee said:

For those of you who have applied to FLAS at various schools, do you know how it works? Do they email you/mail you seperately? Do you find out from the school financial aid office?

I presume it's a separate email. The applications I filled out for them were handled through the universties' grad schools, though they went to the department that houses the language I wish to study. I think the notification might likely come from the relevant language department, as they review the applications and make decisions.

Finally got an email from Union, and it's an acceptance with a $14,000/year grant! Honestly shocked, as I thought I wouldn't even get in, nevermind get this much aid! 

Just waiting for BUSTh and HDS, but I'm relieved to know I'll be able to go somewhere!