Master's Admissions 2017(MA,MTS, ThM or Mdiv)

Johnny.S

11 hours ago, avocet said:

I haven't yet placed my deposit. I'm still waiting to hear back from one more school (they told me on Tuesday that I'd hear back "very soon" but it doesn't look promising). Because of this, Union gave me an extension to March 31. 

Best of luck with the other school! 

On 3/21/2017 at 1:38 PM, brailled said:

I'm at around 75% tuition at Yale, and 50% at Harvard, plus I have an AmeriCorps educational award that would make up some of the difference. Cost is a huge factor for me as well--I have a fully funded English MA offer at a mediocre school in a cheap city, which looks very tempting some of the time. But the programs at Yale and Harvard are more in line with what I want to study--contemporary poetry and spiritual practice--and a divinity school community sounds very appealing to me. I hope to eventually pursue doctoral studies in English, and possibly ordination in the Episcopal Church.

Currently, my decision making process involves reaching out to family, coworkers, former professors, friends, and friends of friends--anyone who would have any sort of insight on humanities grad school--to ask advice, and to hear about their experiences. I spent an hour on the phone last Friday with my husband's former roommate, who went to Duke Divinity, asking him questions about the value of a divinity school experience. At the moment, I'm leaning toward Yale, but I'm still really not sure what to do. How is your decision process going? Do you have any other offers you're considering? Are you thinking about a PhD? What discipline?

Also: is anyone attending the admitted student days at YDS and/or HDS?

I will be at the admitted students day at YDS! Did you also apply to Berkeley, since you are considering ordination? I'm also potentially ordination-track with the Episcopal Church. Message me if you're going on April 5th, and we can meet up and share all the anecdotal advice we've been collecting. :)

After over a month of waiting and emailing the dean, I received a phone call from BUSTh informing me that I was accepted with 70% scholarship! They also apologized profusely for the delay...apparently my application was one of three that was lost. Are the other two applicants whose applications were lost on here by any chance? 

So it looks like I'm going to BU! While the offer from Union was great, BU was tied for my top choice and the cost will end up being much lower than Union. Looking forward to the next 3 years!

Edited by avocet

19 hours ago, avocet said:

After over a month of waiting and emailing the dean, I received a phone call from BUSTh informing me that I was accepted with 70% scholarship! They also apologized profusely for the delay...apparently my application was one of three that was lost. Are the other two applicants whose applications were lost on here by any chance? 

So it looks like I'm going to BU! While the offer from Union was great, BU was tied for my top choice and the cost will end up being much lower than Union. Looking forward to the next 3 years!

WOW !Congrats!! They made a very embarrassing mistake.. But in the end, you've gained a wonderful result :)  I think Boston is a wonderful place to learn and live.

12 hours ago, Johnny.S said:

WOW !Congrats!! They made a very embarrassing mistake.. But in the end, you've gained a wonderful result :)  I think Boston is a wonderful place to learn and live.

Thank you! I was appreciative of how quickly the dean responded to my email and how honest the admissions staff were about the situation.

I'm looking forward to studying at BU, taking advantage of the BTI, and living in Boston. I'm sure it'll be a great experience!

• 1 month later...

Hello Grad Cafe Folks! Just thought I would swing by with an update. I decided a while back to commit and I am excited to be going to UChicago Div in the fall! Anyone have any suggestions on housing? I've heard pros and cons of living in Hyde Park- anyone have any experience with this? Also, did you all make final decisions on where you're headed?

• 6 months later...

Hi All!

Had a great time reading this thread. Wanted to pop in quickly and ask a quick question. Because so many schools caution their applicants by saying how limited their funding is, I wanted to know how many of you received funding as a result of merit or need-based financial aid. Did you fill out the FAFSA? 

At Yale and Union I received a flat $12,200 scholarship, which I think was about 50%.

Vanderbilt offered me 100% plus a $10k stipend. I also had two AmeriCorps awards and FinAid was willing to let me "spend" them and then they cut me a check for the amount, so a little over another $10k.

On 12/4/2017 at 3:46 AM, LotusFlower said:

Hi All!

Had a great time reading this thread. Wanted to pop in quickly and ask a quick question. Because so many schools caution their applicants by saying how limited their funding is, I wanted to know how many of you received funding as a result of merit or need-based financial aid. Did you fill out the FAFSA? 

FWIW, I filled out FAFSA but didn't use it since I didn't want loans. My assistantship covered tuition, stipend wasn't massive but I was fortunate as my partner was working and making enough to support us. I do believe several in my program did use FAFSA, mostly for money to be able to live off of. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got an interesting phone call from Harvard, I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same. I didn't catch her name, but it was someone who said she was calling to remind me my application is due on the 16th, and did I have any questions or concerns about my app that she could answer. I was a little caught off guard, and said I didn't have anything but thank you for the call. My application is like 80% done, I just need to upload the 500 word essay.

Has anyone else gotten this call?

4 minutes ago, bijou2017 said:

Just got an interesting phone call from Harvard, I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same. I didn't catch her name, but it was someone who said she was calling to remind me my application is due on the 16th, and did I have any questions or concerns about my app that she could answer. I was a little caught off guard, and said I didn't have anything but thank you for the call. My application is like 80% done, I just need to upload the 500 word essay.

Has anyone else gotten this call?

Yes, they’re just encouraging you to finish and submit your app. I wouldn’t read into this.

6 hours ago, Cold Latte said:

Hello!

Has anyone got an email from HDS for financial aid application? I was informed that I would get a separate email with instructions mid-January, but haven't got anything yet. 

Wonder if I have missed it. 

Nope, not yet! I'm figuring we'll get it soon.

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2017 at 12:34 PM, ibn daoud said:

ITS TIME HDS FOLKS

الله اكبر ولله الحمد!!! was accepted, just have to wait for financial offers to come out. God is the greatest! Thanks be to God for making this process rewarding, and thanks be to God I have options! I sincerely hope I am worthy of all the blessings I have been given.

Hope everyone else receives such wonderful news.

Salaams! I applying this cycle to HDS for Islamic Studies and wanted to know if you ended up choosing HDS or Uchicago?  I was following this thread and mistakenly thought it was from this year, 2018 cycle, but was pleasantly surprised to see the outcome of everyone's decisions haha.  I am considering applying to UChicago for thier late deadline, but might wait until HDS decisions come out in a few weeks. JazkhAllah! 

Edited by sambam
grammer